QWin: Need a feature to customize color scheme (75 Legacy Votes)

13»

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Gary said:

I have been using Quicken for about 30 years!!! I upgraded last month to 2018 SUBSCRIPTION model (cause I have no other choice! if i want to use this product).

From a usability standpoint, IMO, Quicken 2018 has officially taken a significant step backwards, 

To name a few specifics:
    - there are no more colorful icons so they all look alike at quick glance;
    - The Menu blends together - give us some darn | menu |  Item | separators. 
    - The check registry uses hard to read fonts and the font sizes are difficult to read on a 4K monitor.

Someone  (WHO IS ACTUALLY A SOMEBODY) at QUICKEN should read books about user experience engineering, or "Dont' Make Me Think!". Management should fire the responsible party and hire someone with design skills! BETTER YET, find some people and watch them in a lab to see how much time they waste with the so-called refreshed interface!

To me this 2018  "Refreshed User Interface" is a "Hard To Use Interface" that Quicken designers took too little time to create. In other words, it looks VERY incomplete. I've yet to discover removed or changed features that was accustomed to using.

But what other alternatives do we have???? 

Creating a new thread, current thread is a year old

Please reference the new conversation here: Subscription
    -Quicken Tyka
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

If you haven't seen this yet ... there's a new Option in town for Quicken 2018 for Windows.

The Quicken folk listened and have taken a step in the right direction.

In Edit / Preferences there's a new Colors preference type.
    It lets you select Background Color: White or Gray

And for those of you who like to work with the colors of graphs and charts, there's a new Color Scheme available, too.

image   This is still a work in progress. Additional changes may be coming soon.
  • buddhababebuddhababe Member
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

If you haven't seen this yet ... there's a new Option in town for Quicken 2018 for Windows.

And for those of you who like to work with the colors of graphs and charts, there's a new Color Scheme available, too.

image   This is still a work in progress. Additional changes may be coming soon.
    Can you post a screen shot of the colors?
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

Or even better, UKR. Right-click on any Tab View Bar. A menu appears where one can select the Tab Color Scheme and/or Background Color Menu Entries.

I tried to take a Snapshot of the Menu but turning control over to the Snap It Program, causes the Menu in Quicken to disappear.
    Now running the 2019 Windows Subscription Plan
    Retired - former Computer System Analyst
  • Quicken SangeethaQuicken Sangeetha Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Based on the 2017 feedback, we have done the following for 2018:
    • Ability to set a Gray / White background
    • Ability to set different tab colours
    • Ability to set different graph colours
    • Coloured tool bar icons
    Please let us know if the above mentioned changes haven't addressed your concerns.

Thanks
  • buddhababebuddhababe Member
    edited January 2018

Please let us know if the above mentioned changes haven't addressed your concerns.

Thanks
    Thank you. I haven’t bought 2018 because I am unsure about the colors and UX. They were bad en that I reverted to 2015. Is there any way you can post screen shots so we can see how the colors look now?
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Thanks
    Sangeetha, thanks for asking.

Until all screen elements colors are user selectable, there are going to be users who don't like the colors. And by selectable, I mean any color, not just selecting from a few colors.

I realize that may be a lot of work and there are likely higher priority issues where the effort should be spent. So what could help without a lot of effort?

How about adding a dimmer control for the foreground window , similar to the dimmer for background windows? That would be a quick way for users to tone down the bright background and graph colors.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • jr7107jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Thanks
    A "light" background choice and a "darker" background choice in the register, the gray/white combo still too bright. I just migrated from 2016 where I had no issue with the interface. Jumping to 2018 has a very bright screen/registers. This used to be a configurable option with a few neutral options.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • edited January 2018

Thanks
    This was one of my reasons for getting my money back with Q18. If the dimmer when another window is open was available when another window isn't open, that would have made life a lot better. 
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Thanks
    Simplest to implement would probably be to add more choices of "gray" from, say, 10% to 50%.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
    edited January 2018

Thanks
    The 50 shades of gray preference ;-)
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

Jerry,
    to capture popup menus you need to press "Shift Print Screen" while the popup is open, then start MS Paint, Paste the captured image and crop it to size.

Buddhababe,
    this is what a small pie chart in Quicken for Windows 2018 now looks like:

edited January 2018
    UKR said:

UKR, Thanks for the tip. I had totally forgotten about the Print Screen Procedure.

I think you all know how the Menus now appear, (grin)
    edited January 2018

Thanks
    I will suggest utilizing just 5 shades of gray.

@mshiggins, 50 shades? You must have better eyesight than I! (LOL)
    edited January 2018

Thanks
    I might add that I would love to see more distinct colorful toolbar icons.
    edited January 2018

Thanks
    I might add that I would love to see more distinct colorful toolbar icons.
    edited January 2018

Thanks
    Ah, duplicate post again!!
  • Quicken SangeethaQuicken Sangeetha Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Thanks
    :) Thank you all for your inputs. I'll check on the 'dimmer for foreground' suggestion and get back. 
  • MisterCMisterC Member
    edited January 2018

Thanks
    Well...those changes mentioned by
    Quicken Sangeetha, Employee, are fine for 2018, but how about a patch for those using the 2017 versions?
    I have low-vision capabilities, and Q 2014--which I upgraded from--was by far easier for me to read; once I got the fonts in the program and in my Windows 7 Preferences, adjusted.
    I bought Q 2017 H&B, as a digital download, or I would definitely return it, and am in fact thinking about uninstalling and trying to resell it, then go back to Q2014 until I see what the 2018 version looks like.
    I too wish I had seen the actual program in use, before I bought. ;-/
  • PKPK Member
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can we have an option to change color schemes?.

Can we PLEASE get an option to change color schemes for charts?

Had 2014 Deluxe, now have 2017 Deluxe and would desperately like to change some colors as these have not been improved upon.

Debt chart is still shades of RED - horrible color scheme. Yes I understand that the color of debt is red - it still should be something that Quicken changes or that the user can change.

Quicken has made the Bills projected balances chart a range of pastel colors - this is much more difficult to read than it was before in bold colors.

No problem with Quicken trying to give the tool a new look but please give it a different bolder look or give the users an option to choose the color scheme. PLEASE.
  • edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Color Schemes.

Sounds like an improvement we would all like to see!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Can we have an option to change color schemes?.
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Color Scheme.

No pun intended :-)

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Color Schemes.
  • JD WhiteJD White Member
    edited March 2018
    Really hard to read if you use it on back lite LED screens.  No contact and light colors make for sever eye strain.
  • Brett KrasnovBrett Krasnov Member
    edited June 2018

Thanks
    I have to agree. To say you will fix something that hardly anybody likes in the next version that we will have to pay for is a terrible answer. There is so  much wrong here, like uninspired color schemes that we cannot change to annoying things like the end of months not being correct in reconciliation screens that a novice coder could fix. Either fix this w/ a 2017 patch or give all 2017 owners a free upgrade to 2018.
  • at8keysat8keys Member
    edited November 2018

Hi All,
    Thank you for adding and voting on this issue.  I wanted to let you know that this is currently marked as "Not Planned" - this doesn't mean that this won't happen in the future, but it's not on the product plan within the next several product updates.  

Please continue to vote and add your feedback here for a potential update in the future.

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

I too have been using Quicken since the early 1990s, and am having a terrible time with the brightness and greys in the formatting.   I had been researching all kinds of things about contrast for my monitor-- until I realized it is only on the Quicken program.   

You have a great program-- but it's hard to use if you can't see it!!
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Hi All,
    Thank you for adding and voting on this issue.  I wanted to let you know that this is currently marked as "Not Planned" - this doesn't mean that this won't happen in the future, but it's not on the product plan within the next several product updates.  

Please continue to vote and add your feedback here for a potential update in the future.

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

at8keys,
    since this post was created nearly 2 years ago, Quicken has listened and has added more color - related features and functions to its Quicken 2018 subscription version for the US (I don't know about the Canadian version).
    You find these features in Edit / Preferences / Colors.

If you would like to discuss this further, please start a separate NEW POST and tell us about the exact issues you are having with color and contrast in Quicken. What Quicken version do you use, what Windows version and what is your screen resolution?
    edited December 2018
    My, since this Thread is still open after 2 years of posts. I vote to carry this IDEA of the color changes desired here in this Thread to also affect the 2018-2019 Window Subscription Plan(s).

Let's change the response of Quicken.Inc from Not Planned to that of Planned. YES, FAT chance!! (LOL)

• Birute10Birute10 Member ✭✭
    Although I know I can increase font size, it would be very helpful if I could change the color scheme to something with much more contrast to make it easier to see. Even with larger fonts, the contrast is so low with the current color schemes that it's still difficult to read.