incorrect securities prices downloaded

Options
Richard Burke
Richard Burke Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have an ongoing issue with having to manually correct securities prices as part of my monthly reconciliation process. I am using Quicken Premier 2019 for Windows. Version R15.18.

So today is mid-month December 2018 and I reconciled my Quicken investment account holdings against the monthly statement from TDAmeritrade. Of the 20 issues in the account, 7 had prices in Quicken that were different from TDAmeritrade. I used Yahoo Finance as a 3rd source and TDAmeritrade and Yahoo agreed for all holdings.

It is tedious to have to correct the prices in Quicken for these holdings. The specific issues that were incorrect are QQQ, TLT, SHY, USMV, MTUM, IEFA, BNDX. It may be possible that the differences are due to after hours trading of these issues.

I download every day at 4:00 AM MST. Is there a better time to download?

I would think that if TDAmeritrade and Yahoo can agree that so can Quicken.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    None of those are in my portfolio, so I can't immediately cross-check.  The rest of these comments are FWIW.

I don't think after hours trading would be a consideration.  I would expect TDAmeritrade to be reporting 'regular close' prices and in my experience, Quicken's data supplier provides 'regular close' prices.  

Be aware that prices come into Quicken from two download sources - Quicken's data supplier (download Quotes option) and your brokerage (TDAmeritrade in this case).  It would be helpful for you to determine which source is in error.  You can do that by separately requesting the two updates rather than as a combined action where both are updated.  Strange as it may seem, TDA with their download may be sending bad data even though their online presentation is correct data, so it is worthwhile to double check.  

The download of data via Quicken's download quotes is ticker based.  Make sure the tickers are correct.

The download of data from the brokerage is based on how you have a Quicken security 'matched' to an online security (typically CUSIP based).  If that appears to be the issue, edit each security in Quicken and uncheck the 'Matched to online security' checkbox.  At the next opportunity, Quicken will offer to recreate the matches.  

Downloading anytime after about 7 PM Eastern should be good for the Quicken-sourced prices.  I can't comment about your brokerage based prices, but I would have thought 4 AM would be fine for the prior days trades and prices.
  • Richard Burke
    Richard Burke Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thanks for your reply!

The TDAmeritrade web site only provides current prices which include after hours trades. No historical data is available from the TDAmeritrade web site. IMO this is pretty lame! However, since I am reconciling a monthly paper statement the prices stated in the printed document should be month-end closing prices. This appears to be the case since the statement prices agree with Yahoo and Seeking Alpha for the month-end close. It is only the prices that are downloaded into Quicken, presumably from Quicken's supplier, that are different.

To my knowledge I am not downloading prices from TDAmeritrade, only via Quicken's One Step Update from Quicken's supplier. That is why I posted my issue with the Quicken community.

If the Quicken One Step Update can be configured to download from multiple sources then I would ask how to verify which source is being used. This is a new one for me and I have used Quicken since the early 90's/

I can guarantee that the stock ticker symbols are correct. I reconcile by matching these symbols since the names don't exactly match.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks for your reply!

The TDAmeritrade web site only provides current prices which include after hours trades. No historical data is available from the TDAmeritrade web site. IMO this is pretty lame! However, since I am reconciling a monthly paper statement the prices stated in the printed document should be month-end closing prices. This appears to be the case since the statement prices agree with Yahoo and Seeking Alpha for the month-end close. It is only the prices that are downloaded into Quicken, presumably from Quicken's supplier, that are different.

To my knowledge I am not downloading prices from TDAmeritrade, only via Quicken's One Step Update from Quicken's supplier. That is why I posted my issue with the Quicken community.

If the Quicken One Step Update can be configured to download from multiple sources then I would ask how to verify which source is being used. This is a new one for me and I have used Quicken since the early 90's/

I can guarantee that the stock ticker symbols are correct. I reconcile by matching these symbols since the names don't exactly match.

Are you downloading transactions from TDA?  If so, you are likely getting prices also - as of (probably) the prior evening's close.  Those prices are part of the package of transaction data from the brokerage -- Trading (including Divs, etc.), current holdings, and prices of those current holdings.  

If you are not downloading data from TDA, you would not be getting prices from anywhere other than Quicken's data supplier.  
  • Richard Burke
    Richard Burke Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks for your reply!

So, how do I know where the daily closing prices are coming from (Quicken supplier or TDA)?

I typically use only One Step Update to download securities prices.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks for your reply!

So I popped your seven into one of my Q-files and having just the Quicken quotes information got the following for end of November:

When I looked at 'current' values vs Yahoo finance all agreed except SHY which showed as 83.31 on Yahoo Finance and 83.305 in Quicken.

If you do a download quotes within Quicken (either as part of the one-step update settings or separately through other points on various screes, or if you do a Download Historical Quotes, you are getting data from Quicken's data supplier.  

If through a One Step Update or from the Account transaction list you choose to Update Transactions, that will bring in the TDA sourced values.  The account transaction list 'gear' options offer you both updates.

I suggest trying the two updates singularly to see if one or the other goes off-track.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks for your reply!

I think if the numbers in the price history for a stock include High, Low, and Volume, they came from Quicken's quote provider. If it is just the price, then it came from someplace else - a transaction, download from a FI, or manually entered. 

It also appears that the most recent data from the quote provider is what shows on the Security Details page.

To see the most recent price downloaded from a FI, you can go to Tools > Online Center, pick the broker and account, and look on the Holdings tab. That will also show the "as-of" time and date for the download.

Usually the quote provider's data "wins" over data from a FI. It would be an interesting experiment to see what happens if you have quote data from early in the day, then turn off the quote downloads and later on do an update with your FIs. I'm not sure if a newer price from a FI will over-write quote data in the price history for the same day.

[Others feel free to correct me if I have any of this wrong!]
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks for your reply!

As seen through the bottom selection on this page:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-update-security-prices
    the current (#2) and historical (#3) sources take precedence over the brokerage supplied data (#4).
  • Richard Burke
    Richard Burke Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I will look at them in detail tomorrow to see if I can piece together how I got incorrect data and where it came from.
  • Richard Burke
    Richard Burke Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thanks for your insights. I will pay attention to where the prices are coming from. However, at this point I believe that the incorrect prices are coming from the Quicken provider. This morning closing prices for last Friday (3 days ago) were not correct and had changed from what they were 2 days ago. This was after a one step update which downloaded transactions and perhaps prices from TDAmeritrade as well as prices from the Quicken provider. Arrgh!
This discussion has been closed.