when will quicken deluxe 2019 be available

2»

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

So is that why the "2019" version I just purchased says 2018 when I open it? 

To take a screenshot you can use the Windows Snipping Tool.
    To post it here when start a comment there is a camera icon you can click on.

But yes I agree it doesn't really sound like you have a problem.  Seeing what you are seeing would just clarify the situation a bit.

• Andrea RouahAndrea Rouah Member
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

After using Quicken 2004 for 14 years I just purchased quicken 2019 at Best Buy for my new computer. I don't want a subscription. What will happen to my functionality and data if I do t renew in a yesr?
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

You continue to have access to your Quicken data. If you purchased Quicken Starter Edition, it becomes read-only if you let your subscription lapse. All other versions of Quicken will continue to let you make manual entries after a subscription ends, but you lose all online connected services for downloading/uploading data into Quicken. It's pretty much like when one of the older versions of Quicken reached its termination after three years. One new wrinkle is that with an expired subscription, Quicken steals the right side of the Quicken window for promotional space about why you should resubscribe; it doesn't affect the functionality of Quicken, but it's annoying (and makes it harder to view your data on a smaller laptop screen).
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

Online Services will stop working but you can manually enter data as long as you don't have Quicken Starter. You'll also have a banner and sidebar urging to renew.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

If you dislike this idea of a huge banner taking up about 25% of your screen, you can add your VOTE to Quicken Inc should eliminate or at least minimize the LARGE Advertising space used when a subscription expires.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

Andrea Rouah you may want to turn off Auto-Renew in your Quicken.com account.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

For those that didn't follow the link to VOTE against the screen grab, here is a screenshot of an expired subscription:

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• WannabeWannabe Member
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

What irks me no end is that you can PLAINLY see the renew reminder banner AT THE TOP of the screen.  And yet, Quicken has added the sidebar reminder as well...which is more than annoying and basically cripples the available screen space.

It's really a lousy thing for Quicken to do.  And despite Quicken Katherine's response that they will continue with it, I think it's really just sabotaging their software and not in good faith to their customers. 
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

splasher what is the screen resolution you used?

edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

1980x1080  on Win7

My Quicken window leaves about a two desktop icon gap on each side and uses almost all of the vertical space.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

I love Katherine's/Quicken Inc's reasoning, other subscriptions don't even allow you to make edits, so what we are doing is better.

I will tell you something in a few ways I see Quicken Inc has improved over Intuit in their practices lot now tackling bugs that were in Quicken for years, but in other ways you have to wonder if they moved all of the Intuit management in the process too.

They have the exact same attitudes, practices (or lack of practices) as they did when they were under Intuit.

In this case that you are suppose to "win customers" using a stick.
  • WannabeWannabe Member
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

Chris...why, for a second, would you even THINK that the Quicken Inc team is any different than the Intuit team was?

I'm sure there are more than enough holdovers from Intuit in marketing, development and programming.

Look at the Quicken staffers on this forum.  They are ALL holdovers from the Intuit days.

So, thinking that somehow magically there would be a different approach taken by Quicken management is just folly.  No vision, no innovation, following others now... still riddled with bugs... and now add "annoying" to the list.

Quicken Katherine's response really rubs me the wrong way.  She acknowledges the issues...but basically just says "we heard you, but too bad... we have no plans to do anything about it and if you don't like, tough.  We run the show".  

Once again, if it was ONLY the sidebar that's there as a reminder, I would at least understand why it's there.  But the fact that when you open Quicken it reminds you to re-subscribe (ad nauseum) and that there's a banner at the top reminding you...
     it's just way too much overkill and seems petty.  

Makes me re-think downloading the subscription product at all when my Q2017 expires in 2020.  I'm not sure, as a user since 1990, I would want to support a company with ethics this low pertaining to its current user base.  
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

@Wannabe, the entire Quicken team transferred from Intuit to the separate company. But I think there was a hope many of us had that some of the negative management issues and poor communication with customers was due to higher Intuit management policies/practices/constraints, and would be better once the Quicken team was out on their own. I think @QPW was simply noting that some of the poor past practices -- especially in the area of transparency with customers -- unfortunately seem unchanged from the Intuit days.
  • WannabeWannabe Member
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

So...if the ENTIRE Quicken team transferred from Intuit...why would ANYONE expect their outlook, vision and ethics to change?

Just because they slapped the Quicken Inc name on it?  

Personally, the entire shenanigans with the screen space issue after the subscription expires seems petty and unethical.

I wonder how the Quicken Inc team would like it if Intuit sent Express Web Connect and Quicken Connect transactions from THEIR servers with a big giant logo on each transaction stating they were sent via Intuit.  

It's bad enough they cripple their software after a specific period of time by denying users access to download transactions, but this seems especially underhanded.

I can tell you for a fact that there is NO other personal financial software out there that doesn't allow you to download transactions via a Direct Connect or Web Connect manner...regardless of the age of the software.  Every other software allows for FREE Direct Connect downloads and importing Web Connect files as long as you have the software.  

And I've demoed them all.  

Now, I'm not begrudging that Quicken can terminate whatever services they want for any specified time frame.  I find it low and underhanded as well...but this goes a step even further.  

Their business model seems pompous and very poor customer oriented.  

Perhaps you can post Eric Dunn's contact.  I'd like to drop him an email and let him know my feelings, in a polite manner, of course. 
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

One of the reasons I had "hope" is what kind of feedback I got before and just after the separation from some of the Quicken employees.  As in that it was "the other departments fault for this or that", and the "upper management" that decided this or that.

Certainly things like stalling support for Quicken Mac development in the years after Quicken Essentials for Mac flopped had to be done at a pretty high level.

What's more the CEO himself is actually "pretty new" when you consider that even though we was in fact a developer in the early years he had long since left Intuit for and rose in his career away from them.  And then only came back near the end when they had decided to sell off Quicken.

BTW on the terminating of Web Connect/QFX importing.  Frankly I don't think that Quicken Inc controls this.  I would bet 10 to 1 that Intuit wrote it into the contract to continue that policy.  Remember it isn't Quicken Inc that is getting the revenue from this, it is Intuit.
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

@Wannabe
    I can tell you for a fact that there is NO other personal financial software out there that doesn't allow you to download transactions via a Direct Connect or Web Connect manner...regardless of the age of the software.  Every other software allows for FREE Direct Connect downloads and importing Web Connect files as long as you have the software.  
    Quicken pays for that access, the other guys spoof their setup to look like Quicken and it doesn't cost them anything, so they can afford to give it away forever without a fee. 

edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

@Wannabe, my point was that we didn't know how many of Quicken's policy and process issues were due to conforming with Intuit company-wide practices. So there was absolutely reason to believe, or hope, that some things would change when Quicken became a more nimble, independent company not reporting to Intuit senior management.

On the issue of charging to have access to downloads: recognize that Quicken still contracts with Intuit to provide much of this back-end functionality, so someone needs to pay for it. Intuit's model has always been to get financial institutions to pay for higher-level (direct connect) connectivity, and to have consumers support the broader base of financial institutions which don't pay Intuit anything. Also note that some of the smaller personal finance software vendors are simply using the same points of access that Quicken/Intuit created; they'd be up a creek if Quicken ceased to exist. And they don't provide phone support to help users who are having problems. But the main issue is: how do you suggest that Quicken continue to provide connectivity, for which it needs to pay Intuit, without charging consumers?

Of course, there are different ways they could choose to price things. They could sell the software licenses, the download access, and customer support separately rather than bundling them together. (A competing product, for instance, sells bank direct connect as a an add-on service for $45/year, on top of the software.) But the issue here isn't to dissect and rebuild Quicken's pricing model, so I'd suggest not going down that road here and now...  ;)

Quicken has for more than a decade bundled connectivity with the software, and disabled connectivity services after a period of time. It's still doing the same thing today, even though the length of time and the pricing has changed somewhat. But what has changed is what happens when someone uses Quicken after the expiration of the product they paid for. In the past, it worked exactly the same, except there was no connectivity for downloading/uploading. Now, Quicken has decided to hit users over the head with a sledgehammer, by stealing several parts of the screen to constantly and permanently remind them that they don't have a current paid subscription. This was not apparent to any of users when Quicken started selling subscriptions last year -- including those of us who reassured fellow users that it would work just like it used to -- so it's coming across poorly now that we see how they've chosen to implement these subscription reminders.

There are many other alternatives they could employ that balance their legitimate business interests in trying to get customers to renew with the ability customers expected from Quicken, so their apparent quick dismissal of considering changes is disconcerting, frustrating and disappointing to many of us.

Wannabe, I don't have a direct line of contact to CEO Eric Dunn, and as best I'm aware, he delegates communication with customers to others on his team. If you go to Quicken.com, scroll to the footer and click on the About Us page, and cross to the bottom of that page, you'll find a blue button to "Get in Touch" with Quicken (I've been asked not to post the actual link here because users abuse it for support). Comments there are handled by part of Quicken's support team, but a polite post there requesting it be passed to to Eric Dunn is the closest I can suggest for trying to reach him.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

@jacobs very elegantly said (much better than I could).

I agree with both Jacobs and Splasher.
  • WannabeWannabe Member
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

That's all fine and all.  A lot of verbiage.

All I know is that I can use almost ANY other financial software product out there, pay for it and I can download Direct Connect transactions into that software FOREVER.

And I can also create a Web Connect file and import it into that software FOREVER.

Quicken is the ONLY software product with the business model of completely shutting off downloads and imports after a specified period of time.  

Now, maybe you're correct in that other software is piggy-backing off of Quicken.  I don't know that, either way.  All I know is obviously those files are available and other products are able to use them without charge and without limitations that Quicken has thrown at it.

Now, if Quicken went out of business...or the bank's just decided to stop creating .qfx/.ofx files of any type, everyone would be out of business.  But you could say that about .csv and .qif file types if they stopped providing those as well.  Would the financial institutions do that?  Maybe.  With security concerns, anything is possible. 

As to having to pay for Quicken/Intuit servers...yes, I agree there should be some compensation for that.  And almost every other financial software DOES charge it's users a premium to download via what we all call Express Web Connect (or Quicken Connect in the Mac version).  But that's all they charge for.  There is no premium for other download types and no crippling their software when new versions are released.

As to support, I really want to disagree with you on that.  All these software companies provide support teams are more knowledgeable and more accessible than anything Quicken has to offer.  They have chat lines available and email support.  I know...I've used them all. 

And so it seems adding in the obtrusive "reminder" pane to the right of expired subscriptions is just another way for Quicken to stick it to annoy its customers. 
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

and I can download Direct Connect transactions into that software FOREVER.
    YES, and MS Money went out of business because it wasn't profitable.

It costs both the software provider, and the Financial Institution, money to support that connection.

Get a grip with reality.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

For what it is worth MS Money cutoff online services after a period of time too.
    They did allow importing OFX files after that period of time though (unlike Intuit with QFX files.)  The Sunset version still does.
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

@wannabe

Look at Family Tree Maker, they team up with Ancestry.com to supply data, but if you don't pay Ancestry.com a fee, you lose the capability.  Rather than paying Intuit the fee, you pay Quicken and they pay Intuit.

• WannabeWannabe Member
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

I think that's a poor comparison.

I have my geneology data on ancestry.com.  I don't subscribe to their service.

Yet I have complete access to my data, can share with family members...and even though I don't subscribe, they don't take up 1/3 of my screen space telling me I need to, nor do they watermark reports or anything else to cripple their online software.
    edited December 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

No, it is a good comparison because FTM is just like Q, you keep track of data that you can either enter manually or thru a research/connection tool.  The research/connection tool is an extra fee.

What you are describing is like if Intuit (the research/connection tool) offered a web based program and allowed you to use it for free.  Oh wait, they do, it is called Mint.

In both cases, the free web based program is not as fancy as the desktop program.

• BrendaWigginsBrendaWiggins Member
    edited December 2018

Hi Victoria,
    Under the "subscription model" which was implemented for Q US with the current release of Q ... there's really no such thing as Q2019.  It's just another iteration of the current product, which is now on a "continuous release" cycle.

SO, go ahead and buy the current product and you'll get all of the releases/updates for the duration of your subscription.

CHECK the length of those subscriptions.  Because Amazon, eBay, etc usually have better deals that does Quicken itself.

I found tonight a pending charge from Quicken.com 12/18/18). My subscription renewal is 12/30/18. I purchased my renewal via Amazon a few days ago. In an earlier post in this Community I was advised to waiting until the day before the renewal date to activate the Amazon purchased ‘2019 Quicken...’ I checked my Q Account and worry that Quicken will charge my credit card before I install /activate the new version. The account area will not allow me to delete my credit card info except to add a new one. There is nothing in the account area that allows me to give notice that I don’t want an auto renewal. Add that I don’t see a way to stop that either. I want to prevent a pre-emotive charge / auto renewal that would require me to deal with requesting a refund. If the auto renewal is 12/30/18, Quicken has no right to charge a renewal before that date, including submitting a pending transaction on my account now, date would mean 2 weeks early. I don’t like this auto renewal and I want more control over the access to my credit card ... my money. That’s why I shopped this renewal in the first place. BTW: the form for requesting a rounding does not have a selection for 2019 renewals / subscriptions. I can’t call Q... right now since the lines are not open after 5pm, PST.

I don’t relish sitting in a long phone wait during bankers’ hours. The new ownership / management for Quicken doesn’t feel customer friendly or centered. It’s already pushing my buttons to buy annual renewals thereby at least doubling the cost from what we had when this was an Intuit product.
    edited December 2018

Hi Victoria,
    Under the "subscription model" which was implemented for Q US with the current release of Q ... there's really no such thing as Q2019.  It's just another iteration of the current product, which is now on a "continuous release" cycle.

SO, go ahead and buy the current product and you'll get all of the releases/updates for the duration of your subscription.

CHECK the length of those subscriptions.  Because Amazon, eBay, etc usually have better deals that does Quicken itself.

Brenda, you can contact Quicken Support via chat 24 hours a day instead of phone support (which is 12

hours a day). I think they would be able to reverse the charge for the auto-renewal, and to set your account to not auto-renew in the future.

Also, you were misinformed about activating the renewal you purchased from Amazon. If you have an existing subscription, you can activate the code you received with your purchase at any time — it will add the new months to your existing subscription.
    edited December 2018

Hi Victoria,

Brenda Wiggins see additional info on your other related thread, here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/buying-from-amazon-quicken-premier-2019-from-ano...

(By the way, it is not a good idea to post your related questions in multiple areas as you will confuse others and yourself by the disconnected replies).

This discussion has been closed.