Home Quicken for Windows Installing and Updating (Windows)

After update, Chase transactions disappeared from registers

Haven't opened my Quicken in a 2 days.  Opened it today, and it said there was an update for Quicken.  I downloaded and updated, update was successful.  Started Quicken, and two of my account registers had zero transactions--my two most active accounts!  Both are with Chase bank.

Quit Quicken and restarted it, same result.  Checked the filters shown above the register:  "All Dates", "Any Type", "All Transactions".

Checked the last backup before the update, and the current qdata.qdf file is exactly the same size as the last backup before the update (113,307,773).

After writing the above, I noticed in Register preferences -> Startup location, that one of the Chase accounts was the one that Quicken was to show at start-up.  I changed the register startup location to be "Spending", quit Quicken, re-launched it.  It came up showing the spending analysis; I clicked on the Chase account and voila, my transactions were there.

Very scary.  

Just to verify that I wasn't going crazy, I changed the Startup location back to the Chase account, quit Quicken, and relaunched it.  It came up displaying the Chase account, with all transactions present and accounted for.

Just sayin'.  

Think I'll have a nice glass of wine while I double and triple check all my various backup schemes for this computer ...

Quicken Premier 2019 R16.14 build 27.1.16.14
Running on Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.17134

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have no idea what happened to you and Quicken today.  Glad everything is back to normal.

About file sizes, when things are deleted in Quicken, Q does not reduce the size of the file, it keeps the file size the same and just remembers that it has available space the next time it needs some and doesn't have to make the file bigger at that time. 

The only thing that will reduce the size of the file is doing File->File Operations->Copy since it is done at the transaction level and rebuilds the file from the ground up.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Well, not back to normal.  Opened Quicken this morning, and all the transactions I downloaded and edited in my last session did not appear.  Changed the Register preferences -> Startup location setting to "Spending" again, exited and relaunched; still no recent transactions.  Downloaded some transactions, edited some others, and exited Quicken, restarted laptop, did some other things (Outlook and browser) for 30 min. or so to make sure all was settled down after the restart, launched Quicken, and at first no transactions at all in (now) 3 of my account registers, then after clicking around in Quicken for a bit, the transactions reappeared, but STILL missing the recent transactions, including the ones I just downloaded/edited.

So, STILL A PROBLEM and is now a BLOCKER ISSUE.  I can't use Quicken at all until this is resolved.  This only started (I think) with the most recent update to Quicken.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I have the same problem. Recently updated and ALL my accounts had years of missing date!!!!!!! What happened and where did it go! ALL my tax records in Quicken...very upset.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Well, not back to normal.  Opened Quicken this morning, and all the transactions I downloaded and edited in my last session did not appear.  Changed the Register preferences -> Startup location setting to "Spending" again, exited and relaunched; still no recent transactions.  Downloaded some transactions, edited some others, and exited Quicken, restarted laptop, did some other things (Outlook and browser) for 30 min. or so to make sure all was settled down after the restart, launched Quicken, and at first no transactions at all in (now) 3 of my account registers, then after clicking around in Quicken for a bit, the transactions reappeared, but STILL missing the recent transactions, including the ones I just downloaded/edited.

So, STILL A PROBLEM and is now a BLOCKER ISSUE.  I can't use Quicken at all until this is resolved.  This only started (I think) with the most recent update to Quicken.

Where is you file being saved?  Are you accessing only from laptop?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 2004
  • SullyCuseSullyCuse Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I am having some serious problems as well.  Many of my account balances are not lining up. I have found some w/ duplicate entries, was able to delete and the account was right.  But I have have other, the balances are off and I can't figure out what is missing/added.  One account now that says I have $9,062,381,700.54 credit balance on in the register, but is closer to the truth on the accounts summary column.  What is going on?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Just had a chat w/Quicken support, and the problem was fixed by running File -> File Operations -> Validate and Repair and checking the "Validate" box.  Guess I should have been doing that all along; they recommend once a month or so, to nip any problems in the bud before they affect too many transactions.  

In my case, the repair fixed a lot of things, except about 40 transactions that were all at least 8 years old. 

So far, things seem to be working again.
This discussion has been closed.