Repeating payments - more than one to same payee

JuliaJulia Member
edited January 22 in Paying Bills (Windows)
I need to set up repeating monthly payments that are fixed for six months, and then increase for the rest of the year. I tried doing this by setting up two repeating payments, one for the first amount, and the 2nd to begin after six months for the higher amount. But the 2nd repeating instruction is being rejected. I'm using Quicken 2016.

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Making sure that I understand.  1st payment would run for January thru June, and then end.
    2nd payment would start in July for X number of months.

Is that correct? And, if so, what EXACTLY is happening?  HOW is it being rejected?  What messages?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • JuliaJulia Member
    edited December 2018
    Right, you do understand what I'm trying to do.  But when I run the 'one step update',  I get this error message: "During the last online session, Quicken encountered an online error [OL-301-A].  Your financial institution [Chase] has rejected your request."  I appreciate your help with this problem.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Julia:  That is unrelated to the reminders you setup, the error just means that Quicken cannot connect to your bank at this time.  These errors are usually temporary and more likely to occur on the weekend, try again later.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • JuliaJulia Member
    edited January 22
    Thanks for your response.  The problem does, though, seem to be related to this repeating payment instruction.  I tried deleting it, and then the one step update for the Chase accounts worked fine.  I added it back in, got the same error message.  If it's helpful, before the screen that tells me it's an error 301-A, the first screen that pops up tells me "your repeating payment instructions for [payee] could not be set up.  Your financial institution has rejected your request."  So that's why I'm still thinking it's something about the repeating payment that's causing the problem.  And the only thing unusual about it is that it's a 2nd repeating instruction for that same vendor.  Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

edited December 2018
    Julia said:

Thanks for your response.  The problem does, though, seem to be related to this repeating payment instruction.  I tried deleting it, and then the one step update for the Chase accounts worked fine.  I added it back in, got the same error message.  If it's helpful, before the screen that tells me it's an error 301-A, the first screen that pops up tells me "your repeating payment instructions for [payee] could not be set up.  Your financial institution has rejected your request."  So that's why I'm still thinking it's something about the repeating payment that's causing the problem.  And the only thing unusual about it is that it's a 2nd repeating instruction for that same vendor.  Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Why is that 2nd payment even being sent?  When did you schedule it to begin?

Because, it shouldn't have happened, in Q, until July (in my example), and thus Q shouldn't be sending it to Chase.

Also, have you read this re: 301a errors? https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-301

• JuliaJulia Member
    edited December 2018
    Julia said:

Well, I'm setting up the 2nd payment so I won't have to remember to change the amount a half year from now. Seems to me that's just putting to use the functionality built in to Quicken.

Can anyone else out there possibly help?
    edited December 2018
    Julia said:

See this graphic:

I've set up 2 transactions with the same, fictional, payee ... but the 2nd one isn't scheduled to start until December 2026:

So, again, when is your 2nd payment scheduled, in Q, to start?
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Julia said:

Julia:  I originally thought you were just talking about 2 bill reminders, now I understand you're also using Quicken Bill Pay, so you seem to be right about that 2nd one being related to the error.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Julia said:

From C. D. Bales:

Try creating/sending the first repeating online payment sequence. Then, after that payment is setup, creating/sending the second repeating online payment sequence.

If that does not work, try setting up both repeating online payment sequences at the billpayer's web site.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • JuliaJulia Member
    edited December 2018
    Julia said:

Thanks, setting it up on my bank's site will fix the problem and get me past this issue.  Your help is much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.