Can I run my software without logging into quicken.com?

I own Quicken Premier 2017 for windows!  Why do I have to log into the intuit server to update my data?  I do not want to rely on Intuit to keep their server running and I do not trust them to provide proper protection.  I want the product - THAT I PAID FOR - to run independent of being authorized by the Intuit server.  Can this be done?

Comments

• TedTed Member
    edited April 2017
    I agree. I don't want to have to sign in to their server either. I also don't want to use Mobile & Alerts. Do you know how to turn that off?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you do all of your transaction entry manually, you will not be required to login to any Intuit/Quicken server.

If you rely on ANY of the three standard import methods (Direct Connect (DC), Express Web Connect (EWC) or Web Connect (WC)), logging is required so that your financial institution can be validated as a participating FI partner of Quicken.

That connection is required even more so if any of your importing (downloading) involves EWC.  To understand those requirements further, read this article on the three connection methods: Connection Types

Use of QMobile, Credit Score and Zillow involve connections that require authentication also.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• DeanDean Member
    edited April 2017
    YES!
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited December 2018
    Also, logging on is required to register your version of Quicken.  It is also used to update any revisions and updates to the Quicken software...and as of today, ALL users of Quicken 2017 MUST be on R4 or later due to a change in servers...thus REQUIRING everyone to register their copy of Quicken by logging into the Quicken servers.  
  • SamSam Member
    edited April 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Also, logging on is required to register your version of Quicken.  It is also used to update any revisions and updates to the Quicken software...and as of today, ALL users of Quicken 2017 MUST be on R4 or later due to a change in servers...thus REQUIRING everyone to register their copy of Quicken by logging into the Quicken servers.  

Damn, didn't realize they were going down that road. Good thing all my registration info is completely bogus so even if I have to log in against my wishes, it's really no big deal. I'm also a Canadian using the US version of the software so even my account details are useless to them.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited April 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Wait until next year.  Quicken 2018 will presumably change to a yearly subscriber format.  You will no longer be able to wait three years before you need to upgrade...you will now need to do it every year.

If you do not renew your subscription, your data will be frozen in time...that is, it will become read only from that point.  You will no longer be able to manually add transactions or price updates.

And, of course, we have no idea what the pricing will be.  Suffice it to say it won't be discounted like purchasing Quicken through Amazon.  And it surely will cost more than purchasing the product once every three years.  

And finally, the Quicken ID and password will be tied to your subscription to determine whether it is valid or not.

Quicken Canada already has this annual subscription model.  Those users are none too happy. 
  • SamSam Member
    edited April 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Oh my, thanks for the info. Yes, I read some of that and I think Q2016 is where I'll stay. Being Canadian, none of our banks allow any type of direct connection from Quicken so the program has to be used essentially manually.

I realize the .QFX file import will cease to function but again, I pretty much enter everything manually these days; kicking it old school I guess.
  • TedTed Member
    edited April 2017
    Looks like I will stop using Quicken and go totally to online banking Perhaps I'll try out some other financial software.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    gmalis1 said:

A summary of all the issues discussed in the thread QWin/QMac 2017: Quicken Inc should reverse its decision to change to a subscription that makes the user's data read-only if they stop paying around this issue has been captured here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-inc-should-reverse-its-decision-to-chang...

You can add your VOTE at the link provided above to count your concern.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • edited October 2018
    I am in Canada and had to upgrade to Quicken 2017 because my 2016 stopped downloading, at first there was a problem with Quicken hooking up to CIBC but now it has done it but yes according to Quicken every year they will charge you a yearly payment, so you can't just stay with your 2016 version. I agree that it sucks because we aren't given any other choices.
    edited April 2017

I am in Canada and had to upgrade to Quicken 2017 because my 2016 stopped downloading, at first there was a problem with Quicken hooking up to CIBC but now it has done it but yes according to Quicken every year they will charge you a yearly payment, so you can't just stay with your 2016 version. I agree that it sucks because we aren't given any other choices.

If you have not already, be sure to add your VOTE at the link above to count your displeasure. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Susan Morgan Parsons As far as I know there is nothing in Quicken 2017 that should make it work better for downloading your transactions.  If upgrading to Quicken 2017 fixed your problem I would bet that just a reinstall of Quicken 2016 would have done the same.

They didn't "discontinue support" Quicken 2016 Canadian, that is not the reason for your download problems.  In fact Quicken 2014 Canadian isn't due to lose its downloading of transactions until 5/31/2017.  It is month after the US version because it was released a month after the US version.

Now even though this table doesn't list Quicken 2015 and 2016 Canadian, you will notice that you didn't buy your version of Quicken 2016 under this subscription model so it shouldn't apply to your version.  As in the dates they are giving for "subscription products" don't apply.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

What I would do if I was you is uninstall Quicken 2017, and install Quicken 2016 and see if your problem is fixed.  You don't even have to worry about the data file because for the first time every Quicken 2016 can read a data file that Quicken 2017 opened (they are using the same data format).

If that works, return Quicken 2017 (you only have 30 days on the new subscription model).

Actually even if it doesn't, what I would be doing is posting on here and contacting Quicken support, they are suppose to be supporting it.  In fact they should be supporting it until 2019.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-where-can-i-find-out-how-to-contact-quicken-support?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bpage%5D=1#reply_18576191
    edited December 2018
    gmalis1 said:

As a result of Quicken reversing its decision to make your data read-only when any subscription expires, instead, they will now hijack about 25% of your screen real-estate for advertising. Quicken has determined that this is the price to pay if you let your subscription expire!

This is one of the things that has come to light as more and more users that chose to let the subscription expire are seeing. If you dislike this business decision, you can add your VOTE to First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count. 

Your VOTES matter!

You may also want to contact Quicken Support to express your concerns at 
    https://www.quicken.com/contact-support

This discussion has been closed.