How to create history before using Quicken on Jan 1, 2019?

Quicken 2019. Is there a way to create history for Jan 2018 - Dec 2018 using my own categories before linking Quicken 2019 to my bank account?  In other words, I want to tell Quicken that in Jan 2018 I spent $500 on groceries, $1,000 rent, and so on for each category and month through 2018. So, I'm basically creating financials for each month with actual data before really using Quicken in 2019.   

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24
    You can't put amounts directly into a category.  They have to be transactions in some account register.  To do this maybe you just want to create a checking account using the Advanced Setup so you can select for it to be manual entry.  Give it whatever name you like.

In that account put in transactions, I guess a good way might be a split transaction for each month with each split line being the total for that category.

Once you get to 2019 you will want to setup all your accounts.  When you connect them to a financial institution how far back it will download depends on the financial institution, and you can't control that.  So you have delete the transactions that overlap what you have put in, and set the opening balance to what you need to start the year.
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Yes, of course you can. You can start entering information from as far back in time as you care to go. You can even do this after you've begun downloading information from your financial institutions.

The current balance of any Account or any Category reflects the sun of all the transactions entered using that Account or Category. If you start using an Account in Quicken"midstream" - sometime after the actual account was actually established at an FI - then Quicken asks for an "opening balance to use so that the current balance in Quicken matches the current balance at the FI. If later you want to"backfill that Account with missing transactions, then you must change the opening balance entry to keep Quicken's current balance correct.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    "Is there a way to create history for Jan 2018 - Dec 2018 using my own
    categories before linking Quicken 2019 to my bank account?" Looking at it another way, are you waiting until 1/1/19 to access your bank download data?  If so, why wait when you will get ~90 days of bank history with the initial access.  This is sufficient to setup the categories you want and reconcile to the bank.  Then setup your budget for 2019.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • RobRob Member
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

You can't put amounts directly into a category.  They have to be transactions in some account register.  To do this maybe you just want to create a checking account using the Advanced Setup so you can select for it to be manual entry.  Give it whatever name you like.

In that account put in transactions, I guess a good way might be a split transaction for each month with each split line being the total for that category.

Once you get to 2019 you will want to setup all your accounts.  When you connect them to a financial institution how far back it will download depends on the financial institution, and you can't control that.  So you have delete the transactions that overlap what you have put in, and set the opening balance to what you need to start the year.

Thank you.  Can I tie that "dummy checking account" to my main checking somehow?  So I can look at a report that covers 2018 into 2019 if I wanted? 
  • RobRob Member
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

categories before linking Quicken 2019 to my bank account?" Looking at it another way, are you waiting until 1/1/19 to access your bank download data?  If so, why wait when you will get ~90 days of bank history with the initial access.  This is sufficient to setup the categories you want and reconcile to the bank.  Then setup your budget for 2019.

It's not so much that I'm waiting, it's that I don't want the bank to decide where all those transactions go. I've already coded them in another program and know my totals in my categories.  I want to have those totals (e.g., groceries, rent, util) in my 2018 history for comparison purposes down the road.  In 2019, I'll deal with the bank/Quicken learning where transactions go.  Make sense?
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

"The bank" absolutely does not "decide where all those transactions go."  Quicken makes some guesses when it downloads transactions as to how to categorize them, but you are the intelligent actor here and it's you that decide how transactions get categorized.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24
    I think you may find it easier to just enter the transactions in their respective accounts. You may even be able to download and import all your 2018 transactions.

I would first try getting all the transactions you can from your financial institutions:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

If that doesn't get you all of 2018, then I would look at QIF importing:

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • RobRob Member
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

My apologies, I meant Quicken.  
  • RobRob Member
    edited December 2018
    mshiggins said:

I think you may find it easier to just enter the transactions in their respective accounts. You may even be able to download and import all your 2018 transactions.

I would first try getting all the transactions you can from your financial institutions:

Where I'm headed with all of this is I've already "coded" and decided where my 2018 expenses should go.  I have as much detail as I need in terms of categories.  My concern is if I grab the transactions from my bank, Quicken will guess where it thinks all those transactions should be categorized.  I'm trying avoid having to go through all those transactions and re-categorize them.  If I can get those into some sort of file to import would Quicken allow me to do that?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    mshiggins said:

From what you have said I think you are taking the right approach by just entering them into a dummy account.

Sometimes people don't get that you don't always need all the details in Quicken if it is a lot of work for very little reward.

Starting in next year I fully expect to see the same posts we see every year.

"How can I get all my transactions of last year into Quicken so that I can export them to my tax program to do my taxes?"

Of course the main problem here is that when you download transactions they have no category, and you are right by default or by you "training" Quicken will have to categorize all those transactions.  So these people are asking for either "Quicken guesses" at categories, which are most likely not going to accurate for taxes or tons of work for what amounts to just a few numbers they can enter into their tax program or maybe even download directly into it from the financial institution.

If you have your transactions in from another program, and can export them in QIF format, you could try importing them that way.

It would also be possible to create a QIF file of just these "summary totals", but that again would be much more work than just entering them manually.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

You don't need to "tie" them together, just have any reports you create include the "dummy" along with any other pertinent accounts.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3
    mshiggins said:

BTW I didn't spell this out, so I will now.  Here are the standard ways Quicken gets transactions from the financial institutions:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

None of these support including the category or having a split transaction.

QIF format supports both of those.  But of course the category (and/or split information) would have to be in there and no financial institution I know supports that, and it would only be valid if you were the one maintaining it, because otherwise again it would just be a guess.

So QIF format exported from another program where you have already categorized the transactions is the only way you would avoid categorizing a year's worth of transactions.
This discussion has been closed.