Old Computer is Damaged.

I just downloaded Quicken to a new computer. I am having a company try to retrieve my data from my damaged old computer. If I choose start from scratch will I be able to merge the data if I get from my old computer?

Comments

• palealienpalealien Member
    edited December 2018
    Short answer: depends on which version you were on and what you are going to be using, and if you made a backup. I found going from Quicken 2000 to 2004 was easy, but..

I had been using Q2000 since- 2000. Forced to upgrade when my computer (and house) was destroyed by wildfire. After I finally got a place to live and a new PC, (Win10) I found Q2000 would run but erratically. I bought 2018 without checking, and found out eventually (like you are now) that you have to run your last backup (hoping you made one) through two interim versions and save each one until the backup format matches the one you want to be using.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    No, there is no merge capability in Quicken to combine two data files.

I would wait to see if they can retrieve your data.  Let this be a hard lesson, backups are your friend, make lots of them.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    palealien said:

Short answer: depends on which version you were on and what you are going to be using, and if you made a backup. I found going from Quicken 2000 to 2004 was easy, but..

I had been using Q2000 since- 2000. Forced to upgrade when my computer (and house) was destroyed by wildfire. After I finally got a place to live and a new PC, (Win10) I found Q2000 would run but erratically. I bought 2018 without checking, and found out eventually (like you are now) that you have to run your last backup (hoping you made one) through two interim versions and save each one until the backup format matches the one you want to be using.

Note there seems to be a bit of confusion on the work "merge".

If you have two data files and you want to combine them, that is what would be called "merged", and as Splasher stated Quicken doesn't have anything for that.

On the other hand if you a data file that was created by an older version of Quicken, and you want to use it in a newer version of Quicken you have to load a version of Quicken that can "update/upgrade/migrate" the data file to the new format.
  • palealienpalealien Member
    edited December 2018
    palealien said:

Yeah, I read fast and erratically. Semantics, in a financial debate, will lose every time. Besides, this question was the closest out of about 200 to being one I could actually answer. Merge, migrate; potato, potato.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    palealien said:

Yeah, I do it all the time, and I post on here all the time.  :-)