Is free Quicken 2013 fully functional offline?

A relative bought Quicken 2018 but doesn't want to use its online features or have it bug them to go online periodically for mobile access. It does that every few weeks, and I read that if you don't pay the annual fee it can become unusable both off and online - true?

This relative only needs to do basic checking account balancing offline, and was happy with Quicken dating back to the mid-2000s. Nothing fancy.

Some searching indicates that Quicken 2013 is a (100%?) free downloadable version that can be used in offline-only mode. Does anyone have context on why it's free? Can it load Quicken 2018 data files natively or with a converter?

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    and I read that if you don't pay the annual fee it can become unusable both off and online - true?
    Only if you get Starter, Deluxe and higher will work in a manual mode for as long as it will run on your computer's OS.

The version of QW2013 found at : Using an Intermediate Version To Convert Older Versions of Quicken - Quicken® Support 
    is a fully functioning version at the time of installation, BUT I'm not sure that it doesn't stop working after a period of time like the QW2004 version available at this same link.  It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have a time limit since why would they give away unlimited versions just because they are older.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• edited December 2018
    Not true.  Quicken Windows 2013 is free.  It's been offered free as a bridge to older Quicken Windows versions that don't convert their older data to Quicken 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and now Quicken subscription.

Yes, there are a lot of Quicken users using old versions of Quicken.

You can install Quicken...and then find the last update patch here, as Quicken 2013 won't update because there is no download functionality any more:

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

Quicken 2013 can NOT load Quicken 2018 data files...nor can it download any data files from Quicken 2014, 2015, 2016 or 2017.  Those later versions have data conversions that are not compatible with Quicken 2013.

So, if you're thinking about using Quicken 2013, you'll need to either start a data file from scratch or convert a data file from Quicken 2013 or older.  Note that some very old Quicken versions won't even be compatible with Quicken 2013.  You'll need another intermediary version to convert your data to that version...and then convert again to get to Quicken 2013.

You can use Quicken 2013 completely in offline mode.  You will need to enter EVERY transaction manually.  You will NOT be able to download a transaction file from your bank and then import it into Quicken...that functionality has been removed too.

As to Quicken subscription (2018), if your subscription expires your Quicken data will still be accessible and you will still be able to enter transactions manually, except for the Starter Edition.  The Starter Edition will become read only upon subscription termination.

So, if your friend has 2018 and does not want any online functionality, then just let the subscription lapse.  
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Not true.  Quicken Windows 2013 is free.  It's been offered free as a bridge to older Quicken Windows versions that don't convert their older data to Quicken 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and now Quicken subscription.

You can install Quicken...and then find the last update patch here, as Quicken 2013 won't update because there is no download functionality any more:

Quicken 2013 can NOT load Quicken 2018 data files...nor can it download any data files from Quicken 2014, 2015, 2016 or 2017.  Those later versions have data conversions that are not compatible with Quicken 2013.

So, if you're thinking about using Quicken 2013, you'll need to either start a data file from scratch or convert a data file from Quicken 2013 or older.  Note that some very old Quicken versions won't even be compatible with Quicken 2013.  You'll need another intermediary version to convert your data to that version...and then convert again to get to Quicken 2013.

You can use Quicken 2013 completely in offline mode.  You will need to enter EVERY transaction manually.  You will NOT be able to download a transaction file from your bank and then import it into Quicken...that functionality has been removed too.

As to Quicken subscription (2018), if your subscription expires your Quicken data will still be accessible and you will still be able to enter transactions manually, except for the Starter Edition.  The Starter Edition will become read only upon subscription termination.

So, if your friend has 2018 and does not want any online functionality, then just let the subscription lapse.  

GoHawks, I guess you did read, what Splasher said:
    BUT I'm not sure that it doesn't stop working after a period of time like the QW2004 version available at this same link.
    From what I have seen Quicken 2013 (unlike Quicken 2004) doesn't expire, but I haven't had it installed for more than 30 days to be sure.

I think it isn't one that expires because it is a "Caught with their pants down version".
    During one of the updates for Quicken 2014 (I think it was 2014, but it could have been a new version) they broke the conversion from 2008/2009 Data files.  And in a panic mode they put out this version of Quicken 2013 to get people over that "hump".  And because it was such a panic move they put up a fully functioning version.  And the ironic part of it is that it was long since fixed on all versions of Quicken, but they left the Quicken 2013 install up there.
    Even suggesting that it be used for versions of Quicken that had no need for it, like going from Quicken 2004 to Quicken 2018.  Quicken 2018 has no problem reading/converting anything from 2004 up.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    splasher said:

and I read that if you don't pay the annual fee it can become unusable both off and online - true?
    Only if you get Starter, Deluxe and higher will work in a manual mode for as long as it will run on your computer's OS.

The version of QW2013 found at : Using an Intermediate Version To Convert Older Versions of Quicken - Quicken® Support 
    is a fully functioning version at the time of installation, BUT I'm not sure that it doesn't stop working after a period of time like the QW2004 version available at this same link.  It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have a time limit since why would they give away unlimited versions just because they are older.Some time ago, Quicken Kathryn confirm that QW2013 at that link does not have a time limit.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Mick FidelMick Fidel Member
    edited April 2018
    splasher said:

is a fully functioning version at the time of installation, BUT I'm not sure that it doesn't stop working after a period of time like the QW2004 version available at this same link.  It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have a time limit since why would they give away unlimited versions just because they are older.That's good to know. I'm testing 2013 as we speak. Inability to use it with 2018 files seems to be the catch. I'm hoping for some sort of workaround but can see it's tricky. I'm persistent, though!

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/reversion-to-earlier-quicken-version 
    edited April 2018

That's precisely how they want to use it; all manual entries. They're resistant to the concept of Quicken having their bank password to access their account, for which I partly can't blame them. I suggested just using their bank's free money-manager on its website since it already "knows" them, but that's a long story.

They've been using Quicken almost since it first came out and there's a nostalgia factor, even though Quicken is dated as banking goes increasingly online. This (older) relative is just wary of being online in general, and increasingly unable to use computers. I have to find out if they have Quicken 2018 higher than the Starter version.

"You can install Quicken...and then find the last update patch here, as Quicken 2013 won't update because there is no download functionality any more: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html"

FYI, I just installed 2013 to test it and one of the first things it did was download an update with no apparent errors. I'm not sure what it really needs to "update" beyond a certain level, since it's 5 years old. For this relative's purposes, it's probably going to be OK if their 2018 data can be merged without huge effort (and if they only have the 2018 Standard version and will truly need Quicken 2013 if they stop paying for 2018).
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

QIF export from one and import to the other might work...YMMV

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited April 2018

QIF compatibility still seems to be limited by version year, but of course one can export to a spreadsheet (losing Quicken's functionality) if just the data is needed. Importing those back into Quicken isn't so simple.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

See these threads:
    Edit QIF -manually 
    Edit QIF - with ImportQIF 
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• edited April 2018
    Solved:
  • Erica DysonErica Dyson Member
    edited December 2018

I use Quicken 2013 for manual entry and it is excellent. I have no need to download anything. I would upgrade if I thought there was any benefit but there doesn't seem to be. Have been using Quicken for ever!