quicken premier 2018

124»

Comments

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chyvan said:

No, I paid $1.75/mo for the 2016, and because I'm milking it until the last day, my real cost will be $1.50 until the downloads stop.  I can assure you that my version does not automatically update prices every 15 minutes.  Maybe I could get away with Deluxe, but I went with what it said on the box.  I made the same mistake with TurboTax until someone clued me in that you could do a Schedule C with Deluxe, and haven't bought it since.

I like 2016.  This was the version that had added so many more FI's that I only have two that are manual (both pensions).  The point is that they were able to do this for $1.75/mo under the old pricing model.  The work was done.  It shouldn't cost more.  It should cost less under the theory that getting it started is a whole lot more work than maintaining.

You're still proving my point.  They a charging MORE.  A lot more.  An amount that is in excess of the rate of inflation.  Usually with computer stuff, it gets CHEAPER over time.

I will continue to dissuade people from paying more for the same or less.  Especially when they have a working copy.

“With computer stuff, the rate of inflation is a negative: bigger, better, faster, cheaper.“

You’re talking only about computer *hardware* with that statement. Quicken is in the software and services business, which is completely different.

Take a look at whether some of the big players in the software industry kept their revenue neutral when they moved to subscriptions. Is Microsoft charging consumers less for Office than it did before Office365? Nope. But probably a better example is Adobe, because users of many of its programs are locked into their proprietary data format (sound familiar?). Prices went up dramatically when they moved to annual subscriptions, especially for users who were used to skipping serveral versions and buying once every few years (sound familiar?).

Quicken is a tiny spec of a software company compared to those giants, but I can’t see why their costs should drop so their prices can drop (unless they axe much of their staff and go into maintenance mode to take profits before going out of business).

We can speculate a lot about Quicken’s revenues, expenses and profits, but we’re just taking informed guesses at best. What really matters to each Quicken user is whether they derive enough value to be worth the cost — and the answer is not the same for all of us because we use the software differently.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chyvan said:

No, I paid $1.75/mo for the 2016, and because I'm milking it until the last day, my real cost will be $1.50 until the downloads stop.  I can assure you that my version does not automatically update prices every 15 minutes.  Maybe I could get away with Deluxe, but I went with what it said on the box.  I made the same mistake with TurboTax until someone clued me in that you could do a Schedule C with Deluxe, and haven't bought it since.

I like 2016.  This was the version that had added so many more FI's that I only have two that are manual (both pensions).  The point is that they were able to do this for $1.75/mo under the old pricing model.  The work was done.  It shouldn't cost more.  It should cost less under the theory that getting it started is a whole lot more work than maintaining.

You're still proving my point.  They a charging MORE.  A lot more.  An amount that is in excess of the rate of inflation.  Usually with computer stuff, it gets CHEAPER over time.

I will continue to dissuade people from paying more for the same or less.  Especially when they have a working copy.

and why are we continuing this discussion?  :-\

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chyvan said:

Microsoft was a poor choice for me to include, because they do still sell non-subscription copies in addition to subscription copies. Also, comparing software with a billion users to Quicken isn't likely relevant for a pricing model discussion.

As for Adobe, well, it doesn't really matter that you "don't much care" about Adobe or know anyone who uses their software. First, now you know someone who uses their software: I do! I manage the licenses for 20+ Macs using Adobe Creative Cloud software at work. ;)  In any case, Adobe sells north of $7 billion in software each year. Entire industries, from newspaper, magazine and book publishing to photo and video editing depend on Adobe software. And the comparison of Adobe's move to subscription pricing several years ago is definitely somewhat comparable to Quicken. 

Again, everyone who's responded to you here gets your point: you think Quicken should be less expensive, because it used to be less expensive. I and others have tried to explain why your expectations likely aren't realistic, but you can keep saying it if you wish. I'll bow out.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Connie BrownConnie Brown Member
    edited December 2018
    Chyvan said:

@smayer97 (QM2007, CDN user since '92), SuperUser

: )   Merry Christmas!
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chyvan said:

Thx... likewise  :-D

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I never expected to run into so much pricing hostility voiced in response to my question.

Hoo boy! The debates over subscription pricing have been going on since they announced the subscription model. I don't expect any reduction in the pricing angst in the foreseeable future :-/
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chyvan said:

Prices on here is like politics on other forums, they are lot of people "hot button", so even when the discussion doesn't start that way even the slightest opening means people rage on it.

I for one am done with this discussion and will be unfollowing this thread, but I did want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hey everyone!

It sounds like this discussion has run its course and the OP has been answered.

If more discussion is necessary, feel free to start a new thread.

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
This discussion has been closed.