Search Attachments

Perry SmithPerry Smith Member
I have Mac's latest Quicken (Quicken Premier 2019 5.9.2) and the latest iOS app.

I found an Adobe app that will photograph a document and convert it to text so I did that with a Costco receipt.  It is sort of a round about method currently but long story short, I have a PDF, with text, attached to the Costco transaction on the Mac.

When I search the PDF receipt for "beef", I have two hits.  The text really is text it seems in the PDF.  When I search for "beef" in Quicken, I don't find anything... which implies that the attachments are not being searched... which isn't very surprising.

Does anyone know if my conclusions are correct? (that attachments are not being searched).  I suppose one extra step would be to copy the text in the PDF and paste it as a "Note" into the transaction and then I bet it would find it but I'd like to save that extra step.  Currently, there is already three or four steps involved.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You are correct. Content in attachments is not included in any Quicken search.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    If you click the magnifying glass in the search box you will see a dropdown list of the columns that are being searched. Note that even if you have the Attachments column visible in the register, it is not included in that list. This confirms your suspicion that the Attachments are not searched. 

You might want to create an IDEA post here making the suggestion that Quicken add Attachments to the data that is searched using the search field. However, I would point out that this might be difficult if not infeasible for Quicken to do.

If you're instructed in the technical details of why I say that, read this paragraph (otherwise skip).... the search field searches content within the file's SQL database. The attachments are not stored within that database. They are stored as separate files outside the SQL database and only linked from within the database. This would require Quicken to develop a whole new search engine to search those files. MacOS's built in spotlight feature would be of no help to them here because it doesn't search within macOS Packages (the type of data structure that makes up the Quicken data file). 

You are correct that if you paste the text into the Note/Memo field, you will be able to find it via Quicken's search. That really shouldn't be much extra work if you do that instead of attaching the PDF.

There is one other workaround, but it's pretty awkward and involved. I'll describe it here just in case you're interested.... Find your Quicken data file in the Finder (Quicken menu File > Show "filename" in Finder. Right click on it and Show Package Contents. Within the Contents, you will find a folder called Attachments. This is where all the actual files attached to your Quicken file are held. You can use third party search tool (such as Easy Find) to search this folder for "beef". Once you find the correct attachment, you would need to Preview it to check the date/payee etc because there's no way to know that info from the file/folder that Quicken assigns. Given the complicated nature of this workaround, probably not something you'll want to do.

Personally, I choose not to store receipts in Quicken at all. I'd rather keep them in my own folder structure and keep the Quicken file smaller. Storing them in my own folder structure makes them available to search quickly with Spotlight too.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    RickO said:

If you click the magnifying glass in the search box you will see a dropdown list of the columns that are being searched. Note that even if you have the Attachments column visible in the register, it is not included in that list. This confirms your suspicion that the Attachments are not searched. 

You might want to create an IDEA post here making the suggestion that Quicken add Attachments to the data that is searched using the search field. However, I would point out that this might be difficult if not infeasible for Quicken to do.

If you're instructed in the technical details of why I say that, read this paragraph (otherwise skip).... the search field searches content within the file's SQL database. The attachments are not stored within that database. They are stored as separate files outside the SQL database and only linked from within the database. This would require Quicken to develop a whole new search engine to search those files. MacOS's built in spotlight feature would be of no help to them here because it doesn't search within macOS Packages (the type of data structure that makes up the Quicken data file). 

You are correct that if you paste the text into the Note/Memo field, you will be able to find it via Quicken's search. That really shouldn't be much extra work if you do that instead of attaching the PDF.

There is one other workaround, but it's pretty awkward and involved. I'll describe it here just in case you're interested.... Find your Quicken data file in the Finder (Quicken menu File > Show "filename" in Finder. Right click on it and Show Package Contents. Within the Contents, you will find a folder called Attachments. This is where all the actual files attached to your Quicken file are held. You can use third party search tool (such as Easy Find) to search this folder for "beef". Once you find the correct attachment, you would need to Preview it to check the date/payee etc because there's no way to know that info from the file/folder that Quicken assigns. Given the complicated nature of this workaround, probably not something you'll want to do.

Personally, I choose not to store receipts in Quicken at all. I'd rather keep them in my own folder structure and keep the Quicken file smaller. Storing them in my own folder structure makes them available to search quickly with Spotlight too.

Good tips on searching inside Quicken package...

I too, like you, much prefer storing receipts in separate folder structure,
    • for searchability, 
    • file size, 
    • backup management, 
    • lower risk of losing everything, 
    • and attachments currently do not migrate from data file to data file (should the need ever arise). 
    ;-)

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    RickO said:

A comment for those reading this thread and wondering about attachments in Quicken for Windows, all the attachments are encrypted (used to be optional) and only Quicken can de-crypt them from inside the program, so if you go looking for them, them are not searchable.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited December 2018
    RickO said:

Does this apply to QMac too?

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    RickO said:

There is also no way to export or retrieve file attachments other than one file at a time.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Perry SmithPerry Smith Member
    edited December 2018
    Thank you everyone for your replies.  Currently I photograph my Costco receipts.  Other receipts (from internal sites) come as email attachments.  I pull them off and put them in a folder.  It seems like there are at least two other ways that I keep receipts depending upon the situation but they are not coming to me right now.  I was experimenting to see if my current methods could be made better, simpler, and more consistent.

What I'd really like is for Costco (in particular) to just make the information available via their web site.  They know what I bought, what I paid for it, etc.

Going Off on a Tangent...

It use to be that keeping Quicken data (I started in 1994) was necessary because there was only paper records and keeping things reconciled and organized needed all the help available and Quicken was a great tool.

Back then, you would keep receipts and reconcile statements because you needed to... Banks made mistakes and your hand written checkbook was suspect.  Also, updates came only once a month.

But now... its much less so.  I have an app for my bank and various apps for the credit cards.  More and more I buy things via the internet and each site has fairly good facilities to search your past records.  If I don't have the app, I can go to their web sites.  

So today, as far as reconcile and knowing exactly where my funds are, Quicken is a nice way to centralize it but it isn't as essential  as it once was (to me) as a financial tool.

A totally unexpected benefit of having Quicken since 1994 is I can tell you exactly where I bought a particular item, how much, etc.  And I can do that pretty quickly (most of the time).  I try to keep memos and such.  The Quicken UI coupled with my fairly good memory combine so I can find things pretty fast.

So I'm starting to view Quicken less as a financial tool and more as a personal journal.  "When did I take that trip?"  Oh.. Yea, I stayed at the Hotel Archipelago so search Quicken and BOOM... I have my answer.  Thus my quest to add things like Costco receipts in a form that is searchable from within Quicken.

Note... that even if Quicken did search the PDFs, it would only be a tiny benefit because the Costco receipts has vague lame short names for everything so it is going to be hard to guess what to search for.

I will keep doing what I have been doing using various techniques to manage the streams of data coming in.

Thank you again for all the replies.
    edited December 2018

Thank you everyone for your replies.  Currently I photograph my Costco receipts.  Other receipts (from internal sites) come as email attachments.  I pull them off and put them in a folder.  It seems like there are at least two other ways that I keep receipts depending upon the situation but they are not coming to me right now.  I was experimenting to see if my current methods could be made better, simpler, and more consistent.

What I'd really like is for Costco (in particular) to just make the information available via their web site.  They know what I bought, what I paid for it, etc.

It use to be that keeping Quicken data (I started in 1994) was necessary because there was only paper records and keeping things reconciled and organized needed all the help available and Quicken was a great tool.

Back then, you would keep receipts and reconcile statements because you needed to... Banks made mistakes and your hand written checkbook was suspect.  Also, updates came only once a month.

But now... its much less so.  I have an app for my bank and various apps for the credit cards.  More and more I buy things via the internet and each site has fairly good facilities to search your past records.  If I don't have the app, I can go to their web sites.  

So today, as far as reconcile and knowing exactly where my funds are, Quicken is a nice way to centralize it but it isn't as essential  as it once was (to me) as a financial tool.

A totally unexpected benefit of having Quicken since 1994 is I can tell you exactly where I bought a particular item, how much, etc.  And I can do that pretty quickly (most of the time).  I try to keep memos and such.  The Quicken UI coupled with my fairly good memory combine so I can find things pretty fast.

So I'm starting to view Quicken less as a financial tool and more as a personal journal.  "When did I take that trip?"  Oh.. Yea, I stayed at the Hotel Archipelago so search Quicken and BOOM... I have my answer.  Thus my quest to add things like Costco receipts in a form that is searchable from within Quicken.

Note... that even if Quicken did search the PDFs, it would only be a tiny benefit because the Costco receipts has vague lame short names for everything so it is going to be hard to guess what to search for.

I will keep doing what I have been doing using various techniques to manage the streams of data coming in.

Centralization is the key... for easy searching, reporting, tax prep, etc. Can't do that with multiple websites.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    RickO said:

@smayer97... no, the files are just plopped into the Attachments folder within the file package. They are not encrypted or even compressed.

But wait, my overall Quicken file is not set for encryption. Quick test... it appears that if you encrypt the Quicken file, then the contents of the package collapse to an encrypted state that cannot be read in the Finder.
    edited December 2018
    RickO said:

Good to know :-)

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Exactly. It's about having all your information in one place. I make extensive use of the Memo/Notes field (but have never used attachments in Quicken), so indeed I can tell you the hotel and restaurant from that trip two decades ago, when I last replaced the hot water heater, and how many bags of mulch I bought at Home Depot last year, among thousands of pieces of purchasing trivia. ;)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited December 2018
    RickO said:

BTW, if they are not encrypted, can they be retrieved, one at a time, in bulk?

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Knowing how many buckets of driveway sealer you used last time comes in handy 6 years later when you do it again.  ;-)
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Exactly! ;)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993