Why does Quicken perform a Cloud Sync during OSU when I am not using Q Mobile or Web?

I noticed this today after doing a one step update.  Not quite sure what it is...

OSU, when completed, shows "Quicken Cloud Sync Successful" message.  image 1.   But, I have not enabled Quicken Mobile or Web nor I have selected an OSU "cloud sync operation" under "Online Services".  image 2.   During OSU, there is no indication that a "Quicken Cloud Sync" is being performed.  image 3

So, in the final OSU result screen (image 1), "Cloud Sync" was successful.  What does that mean?  Is this "cloud sync" related to the either or both Direct Connect and Express Web Connect FI's I use?   Is it related to currency rate and quotes updates I have selected? Or, all of the above?  If not, why is there a "cloud sync" at all and what else is being shared, exactly?

: )

Scott
2019 QW HBR R16.14

IMAGE 1

IMAGE 2

IMAGE 3

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Strange mine says "never".

• ScooterlamScooterlam Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Strange indeed!

I performed another OSU just now.  I have no date/time/status indication in the "Services Updated" section.  Other than the FI names, nothing more cropped out of the screen shot.  Are we on the same application date/revision?

Under the Mobile and Web tab, Account settings, there are no accounts enabled.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

If you deselect "Show just the last update" I will bet you will see that "success" message again.  Which suggests that whatever happened just "stop happening" on the last update.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

BTW what do you see at: Edit -> Preferences -> Cloud Accounts?
    Here is mine:

Also the Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts should show:
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Yes, deselected "show just the last update" checkbox. 

And it appears I do have a QDATA account in the Cloud, in fact, 2 of them....news to me....

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Hmm, well somehow you did get a sync (note you always have a "Quicken Cloud Account", it is just the "sync" that means you are syncing transactions there).

What I suggest is switching to another data file (create a new one if you have to and associate with the same Quicken Id).

Once you are in the other data file click on the "Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken (x)" link, and it will take you to a dialog where you can delete the Quicken Cloud data file from the other Quicken data file.
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Quicken ID, Sync and Alert preference shows:

It looks like Splasher has some forum help on this....here....https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/deleted-cloud-account-reappears  Will have a look to see If I can stop syncing!

Will try your suggestion. Thanks.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Splasher said the same thing I did.  You will always have a Quicken Cloud account which is needed for all the online services like Zillow integration, Credit Score, ...

It is that "last synced" that is wrong.  The other online services require the account to be there, but they don't "sync".  That "sync" means transactions and budgets syncing.

I have not idea how it got turned on, but by deleting the Quicken Cloud account and letting it recreate it (which will happen the next time you are in that data file and do anything online) hopefully it will remove whatever caused it to sync in the first place, not to mention get rid of any transactions/budget information that you don't want on those servers.
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Okay,  I'm still scratching my head as to why I am still syncing to my cloud account. Here's what I did so far....

0.  Performed a file validate/repair on my existing Qdata account. No errors or issues.

1.  Created a new Quicken data account, called dummyqdata.  Told Quicken not to use mobile or web services.

2.  From dummyqdata, decided to test a bit and created an FI account and Zillow home account.  Performed an online transaction download with the FI account and pulled current home value from Zillow.

3.  Rechecked sync status on dummyqdata account.  last sync = never as expected. Image 1.

4.  I deleted my existing (working) qdata cloud account.

5.  Switched back to existing (working) qdata account.  Went to edit>preferences>cloud accounts and verified the qdata cloud account is gone.  Image 2.

6.  Performed a OSU, unchecking (and applying) all online services.  OSU completes and I still see that Quicken is still syncing to Quicken Cloud Account. Image 3.

So, I'm stumped!  Cant seem to stop syncing in my existing account.  A few extra clues perhaps....?

1.  A while back, I turned on online bills for one biller, but promptly deleted that biller and went back to manual bills.  Not sure if online bills syncs with QCA, I mention this because there is a reference to bills in Image 3.  To be clear, I do not use online bills.

2.  I use Zillow and Credit View online services but, as I understand, they do not require syncing to QCA.

What do you think is the next step?   Mondo patch reinstall?  Revert back to a prior version?  Reinstall Quicken completely?   Install Qmobile to see what is syncing?  Any insight from the Quicken moderators (known issue?)

Regards,
    Scott
    2019 QW HBR R16.14

IMAGE 1

IMAGE 2

IMAGE 3

• Hub SmilyHub Smily Member
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

What happens if you check the box "Show just the last update"?

Because with the box unchecked, you'll get a cumulative report for whenever you updated...including what may have happened years ago.  
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

I would have done a "Sign in as different user" between 5 & 6.  The different user is your regular Q-Id, but it flushes what is in the QCA.

Overall, a very thorough recap, nicely done.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Yes, I agree a very nice recap.

Now on to your questions.  I use Online Bills, and Zillow integration, don't use the Credit Score, but none of they have anything to do with the "sync".

Next what was my real goal of having you delete the cloud account?
    It was to make sure that there isn't anything setup in Quicken that will start that sync.

It really wasn't to get rid of the message in the One Step Update summary, because as Hub Smily points out without the "Show just last update" checked it will show the "whole history" and as such always show that message.

I'm not really sure where that status is kept.  If it is kept in the data file (highly likely) then there really isn't going to be a way to get rid of that message other than just not showing the "full history".

There is an offside chance that the status that drives that is stored in some log/configuration file outside of your data file.  If that is the case using the QCleanUI procedure to uninstall and then reinstalling might get it to go away.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Hi,  After a few more hours of wrangling with this issue, I continue to sync to QCA.

Thanks for all your insight and suggestions!

@Hub Smiley - Checking the "Show just the last update" displays "Quicken Cloud Sync Successful" message after each time I do a OSU.  All of the other messages do go away.

@Splasher ; - I added "Sign in as different user" between steps 5 & 6.   I build this into the many iterations I've done today!   This step had not stopped the sync to QCA issue, although it did show "last sync = never" in the preferences menu.

@QPW - I went through the CleanUI process and with a fresh version of QW, I walked through the 7 or so steps described above, but still see the "Quicken Cloud Sync Successful" issue continue after I do an OSU.

A few extra things that I tried....and failed...

1.  I went through the 7 steps above (incl. Splashers suggestion) and when it came to performing an update on all of my FI's, I instead update transactions on each one, one at a time, by highlighting the account, pulling down the settings gear and tapping "update now".  After each individual FI update,  the "last sync" in the preferences>Cloud Accounts menu, showed "Never"  good so far....probably expected!

2.  I then deleted my password vault and then recreated the vault to see if adding back one FI at a time in the vault, deselecting "online services"  in the settings menu. After adding back just one FI in the vault, sure enough, caused Quicken to continue to sync to QCA.  At that point, I added back all FIs into the vault.

3.  So, I was curious to see what was being sync'd to QCA, so I installed Quicken on my android tablet, signed in and received a message that I needed to select accounts.  There are indeed, none selected in the desktop, so was happy to see that the mobile app pushed back and presented no surprise personal data online.  No sure that I should feel comfortable though.

4.  Lastly, I saw that a new update R17.5 was pushed to me at some point today.  I was on R16.14 throughout....  Updated to R17.5 after seeing: "Fixed: Multiple Quicken Mobile and Web sync issues." and was hopeful that this issue had been caught some time ago and fixed.......After updating,  I went through the 7 steps described above, validated that the "last sync" in the preferences>Cloud Accounts menu, showed "Never" and proceeded to do a OSU with all my FIs.  No bones.....Quicken is still syncing to QCA after each OSU.  Image 1.

I'm beginning to wonder if this syncing is "as designed".  I don't see anywhere in the settings when I can explicitly turn off syncing and to my knowledge (from you guys) I am not using features that would cause Quicken to sync!  Is everyone who replied also on R 16.14 or R 17.5?  Head = Ache!  Taking a break now!

Scott
    2019 QW HBR R17.5

IMAGE 1

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

First though I want to say that you beat me to a suggestion I was going to give, and that is to check using either the Quicken mobile app or Quicken Web to see if it really has any accounts in it.  Since it doesn't aren't really doing a "cloud sync" so you are "safe" on that score.  I probably should have suggested this as the first course of action, but live and learn.

This "might be by design".

You have a release that I didn't think was out of beta yet.

I have not actually participated in that beta (did another parallel beta) but since this is now in a "public release" I think it is OK to pass on what they said about its purpose.

In past releases if you were using Express Web Connect the path for that connection was Quicken to Intuit server to Financial institution.

This path leaves Quicken Inc out of the loop when problems come up, they have to find out about them by user reporting them, or through Intuit.

The "new path" is suppose to be:

Quicken to Quicken Inc server to Intuit server to Financial institution.

By having it go through their servers they can monitor failures and react to them faster.

This is in fact the current process that Quicken Mac uses, and Quicken Inc says that as a result they have less problems on Quicken Mac with Express Web Connect (called Quicken Connect on Mac).

I have certainly seen posts for the Mac where a user asks "Why does it say I have synced, when I don't use Quicken Mobile?"

I think you might be hitting the exact same thing.
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Okay, so this may actually be "by design" then.  I also checked Quicken Web this morning  and Quicken web shows no account data online.  A bit more relieved in the near term....Thanks for your insights.

Scott
This discussion has been closed.