Unknown Account Type when adding Wells Fargo accounts

I read it that some people having issues adding Wells Fargo account in Quicken, getting the unknown account type message.  That post was 3 months ago.  I ran into the same issue this week.  Any solutions?  Thank you.

Comments

• Lane MershonLane Mershon Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm having the same problem.  Can anyone help?
  • Quicken DaveQuicken Dave Member
    edited September 2017
    Hi Katherine,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having when trying to add your Wells Fargo accounts. To help us provide the most appropriate response, please confirm which Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2016, 2017, etc.) you are using. Also, are you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada?

It would also be helpful to know what type of account you are trying to add, and what connection method you are using (Direct Connect, Express Web Connect, Web Connect). Wells Fargo discontinued their support for Direct Connect (the most reliable connection method) a couple of months ago, so that may be contributing to the trouble you are having.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • edited March 2017
    Thank you, Dave. I was using Quicken 2017 US version on Windows 10. We have a few checking, saving, and money market accounts I was trying to add through express web connect. Direct connect will charge a fee. So I wasn't planning on using it anyway.
  • alphabetaalphabeta Member
    edited May 2017
    You happen to be on one of my hot buttons with Wells Fargo and Quicken. I am not going to get anyone ticked off at me and place blame. I have been working this problem way too long already. There are two reliable solutions.

(1) Use Direct Connect. You will have to deal with Wells Fargo to get it set up. Only takes a few minutes on the phone. You can probably get them to waive the $3/mo fee for the first 3 months. And during that time, depending on your total banking relationship with them, you may be able to get it permanently waived.

(2) Log on to the WF site and download each of your accounts from there. It works, takes a little longer because it is one account at a time.

I doubt that Quicken will ever address their problem and fix it.
  • edited March 2017
    Thank you, Eric. I'll go with option 2 for now. Given the current history of Wells Fargo's fraudulent operations, I'm not confident that they will truly waive the direct connect fees.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited January 2017
    alphabeta said:

You happen to be on one of my hot buttons with Wells Fargo and Quicken. I am not going to get anyone ticked off at me and place blame. I have been working this problem way too long already. There are two reliable solutions.

(1) Use Direct Connect. You will have to deal with Wells Fargo to get it set up. Only takes a few minutes on the phone. You can probably get them to waive the $3/mo fee for the first 3 months. And during that time, depending on your total banking relationship with them, you may be able to get it permanently waived.

(2) Log on to the WF site and download each of your accounts from there. It works, takes a little longer because it is one account at a time.

Not a Quicken problem.  It's Wells Fargo's problem.  

Not the first time you've tried to assign blame to Quicken for an obvious bank issue with how they provide data to Quicken.

If it WAS a Quicken problem, then tell me how come Direct Connect to Wells Fargo works just fine?  But their lousy Express Web Connect doesn't?
  • alphabetaalphabeta Member
    edited January 2017
    alphabeta said:

Direct Connect bypasses the Quicken servers where Quicken stores usernames and passwords. That security risk is what the financial institutions are rejecting. PS: Its not just Wells Fargo. It is most of the major banks and financial institutions.
  • judykane808judykane808 Member
    edited January 2017

Hi Katherine,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having when trying to add your Wells Fargo accounts. To help us provide the most appropriate response, please confirm which Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2016, 2017, etc.) you are using. Also, are you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada?

It would also be helpful to know what type of account you are trying to add, and what connection method you are using (Direct Connect, Express Web Connect, Web Connect). Wells Fargo discontinued their support for Direct Connect (the most reliable connection method) a couple of months ago, so that may be contributing to the trouble you are having.

Thanks,
    Dave

same problem for me. using quicken home and office 2016 with windows 10. have updated this account all of 2016. Set up new file for 2017 and couldn't add 1 of 3 checking accounts. says type is unknown. Using express web connect.
  • bruce.barnesbruce.barnes Member
    edited December 2018
    As I am encountering the same issue here, Quicken support is instructing me to call WFB online services to get the Direct Connect service and to get fees waived. Wells Fargo is telling me they will do that within 24 hours.

The representative also told me that WFB does not have the people resources to debug the Express Connect issues at this time. We'll see how direct connect works tomorrow...
  • AVgeekAVgeek Member
    edited March 2017

Hi Katherine,

Thanks,
    Dave

I'm having the same problem.... trying to manage things using an excel file. Phewwww
  • AVgeekAVgeek Member
    edited March 2017

Thank you, Dave. I was using Quicken 2017 US version on Windows 10. We have a few checking, saving, and money market accounts I was trying to add through express web connect. Direct connect will charge a fee. So I wasn't planning on using it anyway.

That's wierd because Wells Fargo just started charging me 9.95 a month for quicken access...  then I lost access and keep getting unknown file type for all my accounts.
  • AVgeekAVgeek Member
    edited March 2017
    alphabeta said:

That's a good idea.  I need to get back to tracking my expenditures so I will try pulling the file down manually. 
  • edited April 2017
    I have about 8 accounts at Wells Fargo, and found that using Add Account>Express Web Connect over and over and over eventually offered my checking account without the unknown type/ignore tags, and so I tried over and over again and eventually got my savings account the same way. After a whole day of trying to get my visa account to connect that way, I'm about to give up and have emailed WF to request Direct Connect for the visa account, hopefully with fees waived.
  • geoffjgeoffj Member
    edited August 2017

Hi Katherine,

Thanks,
    Dave

Same problem here. Window 2015 Premier.
    Only one account recognized. Two not. 
  • geoffjgeoffj Member
    edited December 2017
    I have three accounts at WF. Only one is recognized. Others come up as unknown. Checked the nicknames for special symbols still no luck. Anybody find a solution?
  • edited December 2017
    geoffj said:

I have three accounts at WF. Only one is recognized. Others come up as unknown. Checked the nicknames for special symbols still no luck. Anybody find a solution?

I'm having the same problem. I have a # of WF accounts and when I go to add the only option I can click on is the account, seemingly randomly placed, at the top. Help?
  • MisterBillMisterBill Member
    edited December 2018
    So I know this is a very old thread but I just had the same problem and this page showed up at the top of my Google Search results. I found an interesting (and fairly recent) article on the Quicken site which actually solved my problem. It suggested looking for an old hidden account from the bank and unhide it. I had one of those and after unhiding it, I WAS able to add/link my new savings account. I will add that Quicken then said that it could not find my already linked checking account,  but I did an update after that and it seemed to update both the checking and savings account.

YMMV on it solving the same problem for you.

https://www.quicken.com/support/setting-account-shows-ignore-and-cannot-add-account
  • sjysjy Member
    edited January 23
    I know this is an old thread, but I want to add to it.

I was having this unknown problem for weeks and wrestled with it.  I made new files, removed and re-installed.  Everything you can think of!!

I finally called tech support and the solved it in like 5 minutes.  This message needs to be posted so others can find it.

When you go to add WF, don't select it from the first screen.  Instead type wellsfargo (no space) in the search bar.  Then choose tehe odd wellsfargononqfx.scr entry at the bottom.  I did this and my accounts all came up instantly.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.