Reconciliation Issues

All of a sudden two bank accounts are way out of balance. Both use automatic downloads and were in balance for years then suddenly way off. I matched bank records back over a year and no issues. I'm assuming Quicken altered an old transaction? Unfortunately I had stopped using date appended backups last year to save file space!!

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I suggest you compare the running balance of the registers against the running balance of the registers using a data file backup you saved after a recent reconcile.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited December 2018
    I'm not sure I follow how to that that. Thank you.
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Could this be your issue:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-12-19-18-previously-reconciled-transactions-...

"Way out of balance" sounds like more than a deleted transaction.

edited December 2018

To access a data file backup, you would select File > Backup and Restore > Restore from Backup File....  After you select the data file backup to be restored, you'll be offered the ability to choose Create a copy which will allow you to access the old file without overwriting the current data file.  

There are a variety of ways to compare the account registers.  The approach I use is to print the sorted account registers to text files (open an account, press Ctrl + P, set the date range, select Print, and choose Export to: and select Text file and Export).  I then use a text file comparison tool to quickly locate the differences between the files.

It is important to verify the registers are sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited December 2018

Thank you. I'll give it a try. Quicken must have stepped on some previous transactions. Hopefully I can find them
  • edited December 2018

That was the perfect diagnosis. Unfortunately there are so many differences that it would likely take hours and hours to fix. Quicken obviously hiccuped as it has a couple of times before. Balances were correct for a long time then all of a sudden a major discrepancy when reconciling. If you have any thoughts I suppose I will simply have to use the "balance adjustment feature" and know that historical reports will simply be inaccurate. Shame on me for skipping the backup using dates!  Thanks again for your expert assistance!!!
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Have you looked over here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-12-19-18-previously-reconciled-transactions-...

Depending on your exact issue a new patch MAY clear things up.

• edited December 2018
    You are correct. Using file compare to examine an older backup with the current file there are so many differences it would be a monumental task to correct. This is not the first time Quicken has done this. I am still using 2016 (afraid to update!) so it's not a conversion issue. Short of a complete line by line examination and comparison of bank statements versus Quicken I'm likely going to have to settle with the data being useless for historical purposes. Thanks for trying to help.
    edited December 2018

Ross Strickland: If the differences are too significant, my suggestion is to restore a recent data file backup saved prior to the corruption of the data and reapply the more recent changes.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited December 2018

Unfortunately I checked the most recent (dated) backup and apparently the program screwup occurred during that operation and stepped on data from a long time ago. I found a balanced backup but it is over a year old and I don't think automatic downloads with all my financial institutions will go back that far. I appreciate your help. Thank you.
  • edited December 2018

I was able to use your suggestion of creating and comparing a previous backup and current text file. Great suggestion. It appears Quicken deleted many ACH payments primarily for credit card payments. Any idea why that would happen?  Thank you so much for sharing your expertise.
    edited December 2018

Credit card payments are typically entered as transfer transactions.  If so, does the source of the transfer still exist?  Is the data file being sync'd with the Quicken Cloud?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
This discussion has been closed.