Open a file from business associate

A business associate has moved and sent me a Quicken file to use as the new owner of the file.  How can I open and use this file as my own file.  I do not want to merge with other Quicken files..  I am using 2018 Quicken Deluxe - R16.14

Comments

• Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @Fred: as long as the file has no password, or it has a password and you know the password, and the file was created with a compatible version of Quicken (i.e. the version that created the file is compatible with the version you have installed), then you simply open the file: File --> Open Quicken File. This won't merge files. Just use the Open command to switch between files (as you would with any Windows program).
  • Fred WeissFred Weiss Member
    edited December 2018
    When I try to open the file, I am prompted for users email (which is auto-filled) and password.  Or, to create a new account - which I do not want to do.

Any work-arounds/options?

If I am able to obtain password, will I be able to save the file and use it without having to open/save without future use of a password?

Thank you in advance for past and future assistance.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    There should be a link to sign-in using a different Quicken ID.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Why are you asking for help to break into a file?  Contact your business associate for assistance.  He should have the proper credentials to open the file, and give them to you. 
    edited December 2018

Why are you asking for help to break into a file?  Contact your business associate for assistance.  He should have the proper credentials to open the file, and give them to you. 

The OP stated "A business associate has moved and sent me a Quicken file to use as the new owner of the file." Why do you think they are "asking for help to break into a file"?
    edited December 2018

No matter what the original owner should have the proper credentials that should have been passed on to the OP.  If not, the OP should go back to the original owner for help.  There is no reason why business associates would need to circumvent "proper protocol".  
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Sounds to me like both the ex-business associate and the OP are using personal copies of Quicken and the OP does not want to associate the business file with his personal QID (i.e. his copy of Quicken).  The only way around this is to purchase a separate subscription of Quicken for the business.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited December 2018

Maybe it's a generic file with no personal information. Why would the original owner give the OP his Quicken ID and password? The OP should be able to open the file using his own Quicken ID and password.
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

Sounds to me like both the ex-business associate and the OP are using personal copies of Quicken and the OP does not want to associate the business file with his personal QID (i.e. his copy of Quicken).  The only way around this is to purchase a separate subscription of Quicken for the business.

Maybe so, but it also looks like he doesn't have the PW to open the file with data.  That should be a "showstopper" for anyone trying to help him.  I don't want to seem harsh, but I would rather err on the side of caution than "aid and abet".
    edited December 2018

Greg the Geek if it was a generic file, he wouldn't be here asking for help to open the file.  The file most likely has data on it and he doesn't have the proper credentials to open the file.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    There DO seem to be a few pieces missing from this puzzle.  While I'm frequently the sceptic, I'm not to the point that SSS has reached.

I'd like to hear more from Fred about how this predicament arose.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Fred WeissFred Weiss Member
    edited December 2018
    A business associate left company suddenly with no forwarding address.

I apologize for any controversy and withdraw this request.
    edited December 2018

There DO seem to be a few pieces missing from this puzzle.  While I'm frequently the sceptic, I'm not to the point that SSS has reached.

NotACPA  not so much a sceptic as cautious.  I too would like to hear more from Fred.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

SSS, as many around here know, I'm a former Audit VP for Wells Fargo Bank, and I ran their "Computer Fraud Investigations" unit.

SO, the "I can't open this file that I got from someone else" messages come around (which they do a few times a year), I frequently the 1st to call out "be careful, possible fraud".  But for some reason, this thread doesn't smell like that. 

Possible because the OP can write proper English, which is atypical of many requests of this type.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    edited December 2018

NotACPA  I am familiar with Wells Fargo and the fraud unit.  Yes I know they take fraud very seriously.  They train their Team Members very well in that respect.  Unfortunately that has been overshadowed with other things that have been done, in recent years by Wells Fargo.  I feel that Wells Fargo is a great bank, and as a client of the Wells Fargo Private Bank, they treat me very well.  As for your comment about "proper English", that has nothing to do with the ability, or propensity to commit fraud.

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

When I try to open the file, I am prompted for users email (which is auto-filled) and password.  Or, to create a new account - which I do not want to do.

Any work-arounds/options?

If I am able to obtain password, will I be able to save the file and use it without having to open/save without future use of a password?

Thank you in advance for past and future assistance.

Yes.  Once you have opened the file, you can reset Quicken ID associated with the data file, the data file password, and the Password Vault.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • Connie BrownConnie Brown Member
    edited December 2018

A business associate left company suddenly with no forwarding address.

I apologize for any controversy and withdraw this request.

You may need to get tech to help if you can't get the password for your associate. 

As for once you have opened the file; yes, you can remove the password or change the password (File/ Set the password...)
This discussion has been closed.