QfW 2018 Household use = 3x price increase?

Has any progress been made on household licensing vs. separate Quicken IDs?  The past QFW license has allowed up to 3 installs, and allowed separate online identities (i.e. Intuit/Quicken IDs).  

It looks like the new model is conflating product licensing and financial identity, so that separate people with separate accounts can no longer use the household license.

That amounts to a 3x price increase -- I don't mind the subscription model; that's clearly been coming, and from a strategy perspective it's understandable, but the software license and the identity and privacy don't need to be tied.

Comments

• Sona MohanSona Mohan Member
    edited December 2018
    Hi Lairdb. We are working on adding on those capabilities. If you are a subscriber, you will get those new features as soon as they are ready.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hi Lairdb. We are working on adding on those capabilities. If you are a subscriber, you will get those new features as soon as they are ready.

Sona Mohan you should get the moderators to mark your account as a Quicken employee.
  • EdEd Member
    edited November 2017

@QPW

It appears only Kathryn can do that, looked through my mod options and I am not able to change user names or account types. I'll send Kathryn an email to have her confirm the user and adjust their account accordingly.

*Update: Sona's profile has been updated to include 'Employee' as she is a Quicken employee.
  • lairdblairdb Member
    edited November 2017

Sona, are you speaking for Quicken?  This seems to conflict with a related answer from QuickenKathryn here, where it sounds like this has been considered and rejected. 

Has product management come to their senses on this?

Thanks.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

I would like to know as well. Is Sona a Quicken Inc employee and is she posting an official announcement of a planned change to the 1 QID per subscription model?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • lairdblairdb Member
    edited November 2017

mshiggins, do you have the community juice to press for a confirmation (or denial, or soemthing) on this? 

This conflation of the licencing and the financial persona is understandable from a technical perspective, but a terrible idea in practice.
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I see this is the biggest problem (for me) with subscription model as implemented.

If it is actually being considered to be addressed , it would be very nice to know.
    edited November 2017

Well, I see Sona now has the employee tagline. So presumably she has some insider knowledge on the plans for the licensing model.
    edited December 2018

Maybe they actually listened and understood the "household" use problem that faces many of us (regardless of what they originally said).

Hoping....
  • Jim RobinsonJim Robinson Member
    edited December 2018
    As I understand it we are asking for a 'feature' rather than a 'solution' to an underlying problem.

The issue is that a FAMILY - spouses - needs access to common financial data and *may* also want/need access to private financial data.  

Example:  My wife and I have joint accounts, but I do not care about her personal accounts nor does she care about mine.  Sure, we could combine everything into a single Quicken financial instance and simply ignore each others transactions, but that does not necessarily address all of the concerns.

So, how about this question to Quicken:  What is the plan for handling household finances versus an individual's finances?
  • Hub SmilyHub Smily Member
    edited December 2018

As I understand it we are asking for a 'feature' rather than a 'solution' to an underlying problem.

The issue is that a FAMILY - spouses - needs access to common financial data and *may* also want/need access to private financial data.  

Example:  My wife and I have joint accounts, but I do not care about her personal accounts nor does she care about mine.  Sure, we could combine everything into a single Quicken financial instance and simply ignore each others transactions, but that does not necessarily address all of the concerns.

So, how about this question to Quicken:  What is the plan for handling household finances versus an individual's finances?

The same as it's always been.  

You can still have separate Quicken accounts.  You'll just need to use ONE Quicken ID and password, as your subscription is linked to that info.

The only limitation of using ONE Quicken ID and password is that it is also linked to Zillow and Credit Score info.  

In your case, go ahead and use two data files.

However, if you're thinking about just picking and choosing which accounts to share, Quicken has NEVER been able to handle that scenario.  
  • Scott DScott D Member
    edited December 2018
    I have been outside myself for weeks trying to figure this out, all I get from customer service is "sorry, I have no alternatives to the subscription model and you will all have to have your own subscription..."  This is ridiculous.  I have been using Quicken since the early 90's - I can't believe this increase has not been addressed yet.  Everyone keeps defending the model, but come on.  We have 3 users in the family and just can't go from $89 every couple three years for 3 of us using it to $270 a year (and that's at today's prices, we all know this is not going to last).

SAS is just not sustainable for consumers...  unlike business's, we can't pass these costs onto our customers.  

Also I have a significant concern about security on keeping all this in the cloud...  I know, they have the best security available, but everyone does until they are on the 7:00 news apologizing for letting it's customers down.

PLEASE FIX THIS!
    edited December 2018

Unfortunately, you are mistaken. You can no longer have different files on 1 QID. Yes, you lose minor features like credit score etc.. But the Big problem is you cannot use mobile features at all unless you Dont mind the other user having access to all your data that is Synced to cloud.

You can buy a 2nd license and use a new QID but even that they have made more difficult as it will ask which QID to use each time you switch files and you need to relogin to the correct QID each time you switch files.

2 Separate QIDs running on a Separate computer is the only way it really works.
    edited December 2018
    Scott D said:

I have been outside myself for weeks trying to figure this out, all I get from customer service is "sorry, I have no alternatives to the subscription model and you will all have to have your own subscription..."  This is ridiculous.  I have been using Quicken since the early 90's - I can't believe this increase has not been addressed yet.  Everyone keeps defending the model, but come on.  We have 3 users in the family and just can't go from $89 every couple three years for 3 of us using it to $270 a year (and that's at today's prices, we all know this is not going to last).

SAS is just not sustainable for consumers...  unlike business's, we can't pass these costs onto our customers.  

Also I have a significant concern about security on keeping all this in the cloud...  I know, they have the best security available, but everyone does until they are on the 7:00 news apologizing for letting it's customers down.

PLEASE FIX THIS!

With the subscription versions, just like with the previous non-subscription versions, you control what data is in the cloud. There has been no change to that functionality.

Are the 3 users in your family using 3 different Quicken IDs?
    edited December 2018
    Scott D said:

PLEASE FIX THIS!

Yes, it works mostly IF you do not Sync at all with some complications such as needing to give the QID password to all or relay the emailed code when needed.

They should have a provision for household use since it always has had that without giving up security and personal data to the other users. I am currently avoiding mobile do I can get it to work but most users want all features to work as it always has.

They could fix it But there is not enough users effected by this for them to take steps to fix it.
  • Scott DScott D Member
    edited December 2018
    Scott D said:

PLEASE FIX THIS!

Online is not the main issue for us.  We currently use 3 different QDF files (my accounts, her accounts, and his account) - we can open it from the desktop and select which account to open.  My understanding of the current version is this is not available.  I am sure there is much I don't know as there does not appear to be a trial or anything to test.
    edited December 2018
    Scott D said:

PLEASE FIX THIS!

If not using mobile, you can use 1 shared QID. When a user switches files, it will ask to switch the QID and you can select to login to the same shared QID.

You can now use the same QID and it does work with the main limitation is any mobile would be seen by all users and credit score if displayed is the one that was originally entered on that QID.

It limits those features but otherwise works on a shared QID
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

This feature request should be split and turned into an IDEA thread, for both QWin and QMac...

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited December 2018

I think that idea has already been posed:https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-add-1-or-2-quicken-ids-to-subscri...
    edited December 2018

I vaguely recalled it existed. Thanks for pointing that out. I had poorly labeled this in the categorized list and so had trouble finding it again, so thought my memory was failing. I have now updated the label.

BTW, the problem with the IDEA request is that it tries to offer the solution in the title. BUT there may some other way to resolve this rather than requiring more than one QID per membership. I just now tried to reframe the issue as a reply on that thread as to what I think is the desired result. Anyone, please provide feedback.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited December 2018
    Scott D said:

PLEASE FIX THIS!

From C. D. Bales:

"When a user switches files, it will ask to switch the QID and you can select to login to the same shared QID".

I have multiple Quicken files for Q2016, Q2017 and Q2019 (that is: multiple files for each year version).

All work as follows:

When I open any file in a different Quicken year version than I previously used, I am asked for my QID.

When I open a different file in the same Quicken year version than I previously used, I am not asked for my QID.

[I do not use the Mobile app, nor allow Quicken to Sync. I also do not use the new Quicken for the Web.]
  • Scott DScott D Member
    edited January 3
    Well, thank you all for the input here.  So basically, I go back to my previous question -

Why a "subscription" fee every year?  This is not a cloud product, there is no storage of data (or even update-able in the cloud) - From what I understand, you have to be on your desktop or laptop to do your banking still.  It looks like the online portion of this is just information based on the last time you sat down and actually updated your quicken accounts.  Which I have tried since it's inception back in 2014 version and it was never really of any use unless i ran home to update and then send it to the cloud and then I could look at it on my phone (Why would you need to do that if you just updated it and looked at the numbers.  If I was away for a week and could go to the app on my phone and update things, that might have some use.

Still just feels like the same product with a forced fee every year.  
    edited December 2018
    Scott D said:

Well, thank you all for the input here.  So basically, I go back to my previous question -

Why a "subscription" fee every year?  This is not a cloud product, there is no storage of data (or even update-able in the cloud) - From what I understand, you have to be on your desktop or laptop to do your banking still.  It looks like the online portion of this is just information based on the last time you sat down and actually updated your quicken accounts.  Which I have tried since it's inception back in 2014 version and it was never really of any use unless i ran home to update and then send it to the cloud and then I could look at it on my phone (Why would you need to do that if you just updated it and looked at the numbers.  If I was away for a week and could go to the app on my phone and update things, that might have some use.

What would you prefer and what would make it easier for you to plan how to cover your expenses - a regularly occurring income like a paycheck or randomly occurring income amounts and dates?
    edited January 3
    Scott D said:

You can update data on mobile or web. And subscription is basically designed to support online functionality. It does not need to be active to continue to use all other functionality.

Anyway, the value proposition is something each has to determine for oneself.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)