Quicken has changed the currency of some of my Canadian bank accounts to USD symbol, but the amount

Quicken has changed the currency of some of my Canadian bank accounts to USD symbol, but the amount matches to the amount in my CDN bank. Tried to deactivate and re-activate but it does not help. Cannot manually change it from USD back to CDN. How to fix without losing all of my data? Quicken Starter Canadian 2018 R12.8

Comments

• edited December 2018
    @L Gusek: There is a bug in Quicken that causes this behaviour. I've repeatedly reported this to Quicken, but haven't been able to get them to acknowledge the bug, let alone fix it.

A couple questions for you:
    • do you have recent backups?
    • are you downloading transactions from your bank? If yes, using which method, Web Connect, or Express Web Connect? Are any of the accounts affected by this CAD/USD issue ones that haven't had a transaction is some time?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

@L Gusek: There is a bug in Quicken that causes this behaviour. I've repeatedly reported this to Quicken, but haven't been able to get them to acknowledge the bug, let alone fix it.

• are you downloading transactions from your bank? If yes, using which method, Web Connect, or Express Web Connect? Are any of the accounts affected by this CAD/USD issue ones that haven't had a transaction is some time?
    @Artic Hare, on the subject of getting Quicken Inc to acknowledge a bug.  The likelihood of them acknowledging a bug on this forum is practically zero, especially one that isn't reported by a ton of people.

The only place you will get Quicken Inc to acknowledge a bug with any consistency is if you report it as a bug on the beta site.
    https://quickenbeta.centercode.com/welcome/
  • edited September 2018

@Chris: where did I say that I had only reported the issue on the forum?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Sorry, I should have known.  :-(
  • Greg GGreg G Member
    edited October 2018

Thanks Arctic Hare. I also have this issue (currency blanked out) on a few of my accounts.

@QuickenSara said "I'm still investigating this issue but I believe, that it is actually
    tied to the recent bug where the Mobile Sync would blank out the
    currency of an account when syncing transactions.  With the R4.4
    release, that bug was fixed so it no longer occurs but it did not
    correct the accounts that were already affected and missing the
    currency
    ", in a thread that you were participating in discussing the inability for people to download banking transactions here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/i-can-not-import-td-account-transactions-into-qu...

One thing I noticed was that at around the same time several of the currencies in the Currency List had their exchange rate replaced with something like "#DIV/0" or something like that, indicating that something had trashed the rates.

The thing that is annoying is that any time I transfer between these accounts I get prompted to provide exchange rate details since Quicken thinks they are in different currencies, when in fact they are all Canadian.

• edited October 2018

@Greg: The issue you are describing here is definitely different from the issue I was describing above where EWC changes the currency setting. With the EWC issue, the currency setting is never blank and there is no #Div/0. There would be an issue with prompting unnecessarily for the exchange rate.

Have you considered creating new accounts that mirror your existing accounts and then move all your transactions from the old account to the new mirror account? You can bulk select and move all your transactions.
  • Greg GGreg G Member
    edited October 2018

I tried that but I received endless prompts about Reconciled Transactions. I've been using Quicken since 1997 so I have a lot of transactions to move - can't really click "OK" thousands of times. Do you know if there's a better way to move them?
  • edited October 2018

@Greg: The only other way that I can think of to move them is to export in QIF format and then re-import again in QIF format, but that will likely cause issues with transfers. What about temporarily bulk changing the status from Reconciled to Cleared and then resetting back to Reconciled after you have moved them?

You might have to pursue this issue Quicken tech support, but, I expect that they will tell you to revert to backup version created prior to when you encountered the problem.
  • Greg GGreg G Member
    edited October 2018

This actually occurred several months ago. I have some backups, but I'd need to re-enter a lot of transactions and validate them, plus I have US$ investments and I also renewed my mortgage, so there's been a lot of changes.

I called Quicken about it when I first noticed it, but the guy I dealt with wasn't really all that helpful, to be honest. I've just been living with it.

Every once in a while, I'd try to fix it. I have the issue where I can't re-link the accounts in EWC, which led me to the other thread where @QuickenSara said that an update had blanked out the currencies on some accounts.

I'll try the bulk change of reconciled status and see if that helps... good idea.

• RoryRory Member
    edited November 2018
    This issue is ongoing.  It has now messed up my entire system.  It has changed an RBC account for CAD to US on its own.  That account was linked to many other accounts with transfers etc including investments. This bug has been going on for over two releases 2017 and 2018.  How it is possible you cant fix it?  You have impacted 15 years of data now - unreal! Poor product.  Wish MSFT Money was still around - 10 years old and still far more stable then this product is today.

The amount of lost work and transactions is unreal.  100s of hours to re-enter them as the system crashed while I was trying to copy them over - lost all of the data in the account that was part of the cut and paste.Had no idea it only did montlhy backups!!!
  • Jody BlizeJody Blize Member
    edited November 2018

I am having
    the same issue with some of my TD Canada Trust accounts but not all of
    them.  The accounts that I have been
    using regularly are OK but I have three Line of Credit accounts that I have not
    used in over a year are now showing as USD accounts when they are actually CAD
    accounts with the bank.

I have had
    these accounts set up for several years without any problems.  Since the accounts had not been used in a
    while and had a zero balance on them, I figured the bank might consider them as
    dormant if I did not use them so decided to transfer $100 from each account
    into my checking account just to keep them active.   I had disabled the accounts Express Web connect
    sometime in the past as I was not actively using them.  After doing the transfer via the banks online website
    I decided to re-enable the online connection and ran one-step update and that
    is when they became USD accounts.  I tried
    disabling and re-enabling the online setup to see if that would fix it but it
    did not and the account currency field in the account details page is disabled so
    that I cannot be changed manually.

I then
    decided to create net new accounts by add new accounts using the new accounts
    wizard that let you connect directly to the bank to set up a new account.  After going through the wizard and setting up
    the accounts as net new I checked the account currency setting and saw that it
    was set to U.S. currency but was still able to change it so I changed it to
    Canadian currency.  Every thing seemed
    fine after that so I closed out Quicken. 
    But when I went into Quicken the next day the same three accounts were
    once again USD accounts and the account currency field in the account details was
    again set to USD and disabled.

I believe this
    is being changed because of an invalid tag that is coming back from the bank in
    the transaction download.  I don't know who between Quicken and the bank is responsible for setting this tag correctly.  I looked at
    the OFXLOG.txt file in Quicken and see the following tag <CURDEF>USD See below extract from my OFXLOG file.

-->

<OFX>

<SIGNONMSGSRSV1>

<SONRS>

<STATUS>

<CODE>0

<SEVERITY>INFO

</STATUS>

<DTSERVER>20181112

<LANGUAGE>ENG

<FI>

<ORG>TD
    Canada Trust

<FID>2

</FI>

<INTU.BID>2

<INTU.PRESENCEID>2

</SONRS>

</SIGNONMSGSRSV1>

<CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1>

<CCSTMTTRNRS>

<TRNUID>XXXXXX

<STATUS>

<CODE>0

<SEVERITY>INFO

</STATUS>

<CCSTMTRS>

<CURDEF>USD

<CCACCTFROM>

<ACCTID>XXXXXX

</CCACCTFROM>

<LEDGERBAL>

<BALAMT>-100

<DTASOF>20181112

</LEDGERBAL>

</CCSTMTRS>

</CCSTMTTRNRS>

</CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1>

</OFX>

I have reported
    my issue with quicken via the “report a problem” link from within Quicken but not holding out hope for a quick resolution.

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Rory said:

This issue is ongoing.  It has now messed up my entire system.  It has changed an RBC account for CAD to US on its own.  That account was linked to many other accounts with transfers etc including investments. This bug has been going on for over two releases 2017 and 2018.  How it is possible you cant fix it?  You have impacted 15 years of data now - unreal! Poor product.  Wish MSFT Money was still around - 10 years old and still far more stable then this product is today.

The amount of lost work and transactions is unreal.  100s of hours to re-enter them as the system crashed while I was trying to copy them over - lost all of the data in the account that was part of the cut and paste.Had no idea it only did montlhy backups!!!

Hello Rory,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue and thank you for taking the time to share the details with the Community.

Our teams are currently researching the currency issues with RBC Bank and have asked if you would be willing to submit a "Report a Problem" from the Help menu in Quicken and provide your log files to aid in their investigation.

If so, please open Quicken and go to the Help menu > Report a Problem.  In the window that opens, please enter "Attn: Sarah" in the subject line and mark the box for every listed file and click Send to Quicken.

Once sent, please just reply here to let me know they've been sent so I can find the report in our system.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited December 2018
    I am experiencing the same problems with Simplii and TD. Are they working on correcting this?
  • edited December 2018
    The currency setting switching issue is a long running bug with the Canadian version of Quicken. Quicken is working on this issue and very recently (just days ago) have determined the cause of the problem. They are now working on a plan for a fix. No ETA for the solution yet.
  • Has there been an update on this one?
  • ChappyChappy Member
    I'm having the same issue with Canadian H &B 2016,it happened in my td line of credit account. The only reason I noticed the issue was because I did a report on a previous purchase and thought the amount was to high, that was the result of the line of credit account has flipped to us currency and the report then factors in the rate of exchange.I have one month to determine if I will go on the subscription plan,this might be a determining factor.
  • wilmcclwilmccl Member
    edited March 4
    Just happened on an RBC line of credit account that was set up in Quicken > 10 years ago.  Using Cdn H&B 2019.  This is the 3rd major error that has shown up in the last couple months (reconciliation opening balances spontaneously changing, reminders disappearing instead of being processed).

After 20 years have been forced to stop using the product because it has become so unstable.
  • YaFiYaFi Member
    Just happened to me (again!) today with CIBC account - I tried to use one step update hoping that Quicken 2018 fixed those issues and but alas it is still there.  (That is why I was not using one step update for the last few years - last time I tried it, it changed some of my main accounts to USD and if not for the recent backup file, I would be in big trouble).  It's a pity they still can't fix it! 
  • ChappyChappy Member
    edited March 21
    I thought I would attempt to try this fix in my line of credit account https://www.quicken.com/support/how-convert-existing-account-different-currency
    I cant find the transfer icon, is this only available after version 2016 ?
  • I tried to fix the problem by opening a new account and starting fresh in Canadian currency.  It took 1 day before it changed to USD.  The tech support supervisor had no timeline to resolution and informed me to check back here (in the forums) to see when it gets fixed. - Not helpful considering they kept me on the phone for 1.5 hours to advise me of something that was reported here 6 months ago.  

After using Quicken since the late 80's this is the first time I would say I am not impressed and in fact disappointed with their lack of seriousness.
  • Can someone from Quicken PLEASE post a bug ID# or defect number and state the expected date/release that will address it, so that your customers do not have to waste time researching... this bug has been discussed for a year in different places.
  • Dan MDan M Member
    I have the same problem with my HomeTrust Preferred Visa card. It is a Canadian card, and once I downloaded the transactions via Web Connect and linked it to my Visa in Quicken, the currency was automatically changed to USD. It is now grayed out in the settings and I cannot change it.