Can't "CLOSE" Investment Account

me
me Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I have an Investment Account that appears to have no securities in it but when I try to close the account (under Display Options in Account Details), I get a dialogue saying "The account has security balances please clear the securities before you close the account."

Holdings shows no securities and when I try to transfer all securities out of the account I'm told there are none  

Any clever idea out there?

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Don't close the account. You can hide it instead.

Tools | Manage Hidden Accounts.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• me
    me Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I did that already.  I just had bad data and wanted to figure out how to fix ...
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    me said:

I did that already.  I just had bad data and wanted to figure out how to fix ...

Closing the account would not impact the quality of the data.

What problem did you have with bad data?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• me
    me Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    me said:

But getting to the point where I could close the account would get rid of the bad data that is clearly in there.  Not a terribly big deal, I understand.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    I've had the same problem.  After I installed Quicken Premier 2018, I tried
    to close an old securities account.  But I got the following error
    message:  “This account has securities balances, please clear the
    securities before you close the account.”    I don’t know how to
    “clear the securities”, so I’m stuck.  Can anyone send me detailed
    instructions?
  • me
    me Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mark -- I can't solve your problem, but I can confirm it is not likely a 2018 problem.  I know I have the issue with 2017 (and 2018) as well and think it existed before that.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Mark said:

instructions?

Here's an option for you. Create an adjustment by entering a transaction selling the remaining shares for the account you'd like to close. Close the account and after closing it you can always delete the adjustment.

Please LIKE or COMMENT if this is Helpful so others will know. Thanks :-)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    I have the same problem. Although there are no securities in the account and no cash balance, I cannot close the account because of the same error.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    me said:

Hello me,

I apologize that you continue to receive a message about clearing securities when attempting to close the account.  Just to confirm, have you checked the preferences and ensured the "show hidden transactions" box is marked?  If not, please click on the "Edit" tab at the top of Quicken and open the "Preferences."  In the window that opens, select "Investment transactions" on the left side and check the box to show hidden transactions on the right side.

image  image

Then please check the account for any new transactions that may have a security balance, resolving any found as necessary.

I hope this information helps, but please let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    me said:

No joy.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Mark said:

instructions?

That would be a useful tip but there are no transactions to adjust. Everything is zeroed out in the account.
  • me
    me Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    me said:

This can't be the problem.  Remember there are no holding in  the accounts we are trying to close when we click the holding buttons.  That said, I did click show hidden transactions and it changed nothing. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Mark said:

instructions?

Thank you to those who have tried to come up with a solution.  Nothing so far has solved the underlying problem, but this is a minor issue.  So I've decided just to Hide the Account & leave things as is.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    me said:

Mark -- I can't solve your problem, but I can confirm it is not likely a 2018 problem.  I know I have the issue with 2017 (and 2018) as well and think it existed before that.  

Thank you.  Nothing so far has solved the underlying problem, but this is a minor issue.  So I've decided just to Hide the Account & leave things as is.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Wt Riker said:

I have the same problem. Although there are no securities in the account and no cash balance, I cannot close the account because of the same error.

Wt -- As I've noted above, nothing so far has solved the underlying problem, but this is a minor issue.  So I've decided just to Hide the Account & leave things as is.  Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Gamal Mustafa
    Gamal Mustafa Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

I have the same problem since Quicken 2008. I have upgraded a couple of times. Now, I am at 2017 and the problem persist. I have 1. run "validate and repair", 2. Upgrade, and 3  removed all hidden placeholders.

I still get: "This account has securities balances, please clear the securities..."

• Ed Vanyo
    Ed Vanyo Member
    edited December 2018
    I have the same problem with Quicken 2018 and a stock option grant account. All options have been exercised, all balances are zero. I cannot close the account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Wt Riker said:

Mark - I agree it is a minor, albeit annoying, problem but it is still a bug. Unfortunately there seems to be no interest in fixing it anyway.
  • Ed Vanyo
    Ed Vanyo Member
    edited January 2019
    Any update to this issue? Still have the problem...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    None.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Go into your investment account.  Click on holdings, it should show all the current investment with balance.  

You can add entries to adjust each of your investment share to 0.  Cash needs to be 0 as well as securities values before you can close the account.
  • me
    me Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You misunderstand the problem we have.  In these accounts, the register balance is $0, and when you view holdings, there are no securities shown and cash is still $0.  However, when you try to "close" the account, the message "This account has securities balances, please clear the securities before you close the account." message appears. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Exactly
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Instead of looking in the register, go to the Portfolio View and look in the appropriate account if there are any shares or cash remaining.

Then make any adjustments in the register.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    All columns are either blank or 0's.
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Wt Riker said:

All columns are either blank or 0's.

Even though the value displayed is zero, often that zero is a result of rounding and there is a very small fraction of shares left and that small number gets rounded down to zero is any and all views. So, it looks like Quicken thinks there are zero shares left, but, really, Quicken understands that there are 0.0001 shares (or something like this) left; and is representing that as 0.000. The way to fix this is to execute a sell or remove transaction and use the "all remaining shares" checkbox. Using that checkbox will address the small remaining fraction that gets reported as zero, but isn't zero.
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    To get rid of the phantom investments to be able to close the account.  Try this:

1.  Go to the investment register you want to close.
    2.  Click on any transaction to gain focus.
    3.  Hold down <Ctrl> and hit Z
    4.  You should see a pop-up:

5.  After this process is completed, try to close your account again.

• me
    me Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Not sure what is special about these accounts but that doesn't work. 
  • Ed Vanyo
    Ed Vanyo Member
    edited December 2018

To get rid of the phantom investments to be able to close the account.  Try this:

1.  Go to the investment register you want to close.
    2.  Click on any transaction to gain focus.
    3.  Hold down <Ctrl> and hit Z
    4.  You should see a pop-up:

5.  After this process is completed, try to close your account again.

That didn't work. My particular investment account is a stock grant/option account in Swiss Francs; not sure if that matters...
This discussion has been closed.