Bank Rewards

2»

Comments

• Connie BrownConnie Brown Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

when I look at a credit card website, every account I have shows what I owe as a positive amount. If there is a credit, then it would naturally appear as a negative. How do I contact some real Quicken people for this. I can't find any link to allow me to contact support.

According to their web page, they are not open until Wed.
  • Hub SmilyHub Smily Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

when I look at a credit card website, every account I have shows what I owe as a positive amount. If there is a credit, then it would naturally appear as a negative. How do I contact some real Quicken people for this. I can't find any link to allow me to contact support.

As I mentioned above, support will not help you with this issue.  It's a formatting issue with the way your bank downloads credit balances.  

And if you ask your bank, they'll blame it on Quicken.  But believe me, banks love to do that as they have no clue how Quicken works...and just pass the buck to get you off the phone.  
    edited December 2018

The screen that opens when I press CTRL-R is the one that I posted before. I don't undertand 
    why I would have to input anything when reconciling since all data is downloaded from the bank. 
    Please explain how it could possibly be a user input problem.

Again, I don't know what you  are looking at. I see a bunch of boxes and I click on Online Banking 
    since that sounds like where my problem would be. This gives me a list of links to click for various 
    issues (none of the mine) and they take you to an article or something to help with that problem. 
    The only link I see that takes me to a place I can ask a question is "Ask the Community". I don't 
    see anythng saying "Contact Support".

Did you even READ my response?  Yes, your bank is reporting -10.60.  But it's not being read by Quicken as -10.60 because it's being downloaded as 10.60 CR.  Thus the CR doesn't get read at all because it's not the correct format for Quicken.

That's a bank issue.

And as I also said, if you actually pay a bill in this account because you have a balance due each month, then STOP RECONCILING TO AN ONLINE BALANCE UNTIL YOU HAVE AN ACTUAL AMOUNT TO PAY DURING THE MONTH.

There is NO need to reconcile more than once a month, which I suspect you are doing after each download.  Stop it!

I don't think I can be any clearer than that.  

And if you don't believe me, then open the .qfx download from your bank and see what is being sent from them.  I'll guarantee that it's 10.60 CR and NOT -10.60.
    edited December 2018

The screen that opens when I press CTRL-R is the one that I posted before. I don't undertand 
    why I would have to input anything when reconciling since all data is downloaded from the bank. 

Again, I don't know what you  are looking at. I see a bunch of boxes and I click on Online Banking 
    since that sounds like where my problem would be. This gives me a list of links to click for various 
    issues (none of the mine) and they take you to an article or something to help with that problem. 
    The only link I see that takes me to a place I can ask a question is "Ask the Community". I don't 

I also have the feeling that you think you need to reconcile after every download because that will "verify" that the transactions you download are actually real and not fraudulent.  

That defeats the purpose of downloading transactions.  That's your check right there, just the downloading.  

As I've now said three times, please don't reconcile more that once a month.  It's completely unnecessary.  But if you insist on doing so, then you'll have to wait until you have a non-credit online balance to do so.
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I'd suggest dropping this for the moment and maybe coming back tomorrow to look at what's been posted with fresh eyes.  Three different people have attempted to help you but I'm not sure you're taking the time to read and think about what's been suggested.

Your problem is that the balance you're trying to reconcile to is the wrong sign.  That may be a Quicken problem, that may be a problem on the financial institution's end.  There are ways to make that determination, I think, but it may take a bit of work on your end.  But the point is if YOU could input the correct balance, a balance with the correct sign, and that's something we've tried to tell you how to do, then your immediate problem would be resolved.
  • Ross JonesRoss Jones Member ✭✭
    edited January 1

The Online Balance in the register says -10.60. To me this is correct. But on the reconcile page, quicken shows the Statement Ending Balance as 10.60. Quicken is not showing the correct online balance. It changes the online balance on the register page (-10.60) to a positive number on the reconcile page. I don't see how the problem can be the bank-it has to be quicken changing negative to positive.
  • Ross JonesRoss Jones Member ✭✭
    edited January 1

I balance m uch LESS than once a month.