"Add Share" reporting?

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I have been logging my 401k transfers but using "Add shares" for the corporate match. I'm going to switch and start tracking these as income and transfers but I'd like to see the historical values.  Is there a way to run a report on the $$ amount of annual 'Add Shares" to a specific account? I can't find a way to do it.  (Quicken 2019 Home, Business, and Rental Property for Windows)

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options

An Investment Transaction report customized to include that account and the Added action (under the Actions tab) and your desired time period should enable you to determine the dollar amount of the Add Shares transactions.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Thanks!  This is really helpful!  I hadn't played much with the investment reports.  Is there a way to assign a category for that (add shares for a specific account) so that I could show my annual income PLUS the add amounts in one report?  In the investment transactions report, they look like they show up as transfers to that account but when I pull a category account, they don't show.  Just curious.  Thanks!
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options

Thanks!  This is really helpful!  I hadn't played much with the investment reports.  Is there a way to assign a category for that (add shares for a specific account) so that I could show my annual income PLUS the add amounts in one report?  In the investment transactions report, they look like they show up as transfers to that account but when I pull a category account, they don't show.  Just curious.  Thanks!

There is no category associated with the Add Shares action, so you would not be able to include the Add Shares amount in a category report.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options

The paycheck wizard (or similar steps; see https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/paycheck-splits-randomly-dont-appear-in-the-acco...) is the recommended way to get 'income' turned in to 401k shares.  Your paycheck deposits cash (including company matching $) into 401k account and in that account you buy the shares.  Then your basic reports that lead to annual income can include the company matching component.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Great - thanks all.  I'm going to enter it as income and a transfer going forward so should be good using the paycheck wizard.  For historical purposes, I may just create a dummy account and pull the totals from the investment report to add to the correct category once annually for each year I didn't do it just to get the view I was looking for.  Thanks and Happy New Year!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Great - thanks all.  I'm going to enter it as income and a transfer going forward so should be good using the paycheck wizard.  For historical purposes, I may just create a dummy account and pull the totals from the investment report to add to the correct category once annually for each year I didn't do it just to get the view I was looking for.  Thanks and Happy New Year!

I actually used categories to do it.  I added a transaction for each year using the totals from the investment report into the correct category and then just created a sub-category and took that amount back.  Now I can show the parent category only to include that amount or select both or neither to exclude it.  Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.