How can I use two different Quicken IDs on the same computer?

We purchased two subscriptions to Quicken for Windows 2018 (one for Deluxe for us and one for Starter for our daughter). We did this so she can see her accounts on her iPhone without being able to see our accounts. How do we switch Quicken IDs when launching the application so we can select which account to use and thus which data file we're seeing? Note that we cannot put all accounts into a single data file because we don't want her to see our accounts. Similarly, we cannot use the same Quicken ID for both data files because we don't want her to see our accounts in the cloud. Any suggestions?  

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1

I don't think there is a simple solution. Each time you open a file, you'll need to confirm which Quicken ID the file is using by going to Edit | Preferences: Quicken ID, Mobile & Alerts and sign out if the wrong Quicken ID is shown.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • pbug56pbug56 Member
    edited January 1
    Why can't hers go on to a different PC?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1
    mshiggins said:

I don't think there is a simple solution. Each time you open a file, you'll need to confirm which Quicken ID the file is using by going to Edit | Preferences: Quicken ID, Mobile & Alerts and sign out if the wrong Quicken ID is shown.

Would having a third (ID change) file that you always opened and then did the Edit->Preferences->Quicken Id->Sign In as different user to change which QID was active in the program and then open the other file.

Think of the third file as a kind of demilitarized-neutral-zone for ID changing.  The third file could have just a cash account in it just to have an account.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• pbug56pbug56 Member
    edited January 1
    mshiggins said:

You'd pay for a 3rd license just for that?
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1
    Just create separate Windows accounts for yourself and you daughter.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1
    mshiggins said:

No, no 3rd license required, just a neutral file to change the QID in so that Quicken doesn't rebuild the Quicken Cloud Account when the QID is changed.  

Doing it this way, the last QID that Quicken used will the correct one when one of the two production files (parent and daughter) is opened.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Paul HooverPaul Hoover Member
    edited January 1

Just create separate Windows accounts for yourself and you daughter.

Good idea, but it won't work. My wife manages our daughter's finances for her, and having to switch Windows accounts back and forth would be too onerous. 
    edited January 1
    pbug56 said:

Why can't hers go on to a different PC?

We have only one. 
    edited January 1
    mshiggins said:

That's a really interesting idea, splasher. Unfortunately it's too complicated for routine work. I found you have to: (1) open the neutral file; (2) sign out and sign in with daughter's QID; (3) click through several setup-type screens; (4) open daughter's data file. Then open the neutral file, go through the same steps to sign in with parents' QID, and finally open parents' data file. Too many steps and clicks. It would be nice if it was easier. 
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1
    mshiggins said:

Can you even have 2 versions installed on the same computer at the same time?  Or did you just buy a second version to get a second ID ?  
    edited January 1
    mshiggins said:

We bought the second subscription just to get the second QID. Clarification (and I apologize for not being more accurate in my response to Ron): We have the Deluxe on a laptop and the Starter on a desktop. Two computers, two QIDs, three data files (one for family, one for spouse, one for daughter). The Deluxe on the laptop is used only for family. The Starter on the desktop is the one where we're trying to switch between QIDs and data files. 
  • pbug56pbug56 Member
    edited January 1
    mshiggins said:

I don't have the multi file issue, and I'm a bit spoiled - 3 laptops plus one mini tower in the house (which I built).   
This discussion has been closed.