Why do 12/31/18 investment income transactions, posted on 1/2/19, not add to year end account balan

Options
jayne3b
jayne3b Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
using latest Quicken update - the issue is self explanatory.  Investment acct totals at year end frequently do not match reported statement balances and this may be the issues.  the years income reports are correct but the year end account balance report is wrong: it excludes the amount of income reported on the last day of the year and posted after year end.  I even tried changing the date of receipt to an earlier date in December but it did not make a difference. Seems you cannot change the prior year's total account balance with entries made in the current year? 

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    "Windows", I presume?

What sort of investment transactions are you referring to?  Are they always the same type, like Reinvested Dividends, or just any sort of transactions.

I've seen a few items that seem to be similar, where the effective date of what's downloaded by the broker doesn't agree the the month-end broker statements, but you're saying that the inconsistency is entirely within Quicken?

So, for example, a dividend right at year end is in the income reports but the cash received for that dividend is omitted from the balance sheet reports?

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Yes, I find that common with some month end transactions that don't post for a few days, my broker flags these online with a notation.  I sometimes have to modify the transaction date in Quicken for these depending on whether they are or are not included in the statement.

In other words, they download with a transaction date within the statement period, but don't post until the next.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Rich M said:

Yes, I find that common with some month end transactions that don't post for a few days, my broker flags these online with a notation.  I sometimes have to modify the transaction date in Quicken for these depending on whether they are or are not included in the statement.

In other words, they download with a transaction date within the statement period, but don't post until the next.

That's fine, I modify dates also with a comment in the memo field.  But the OP seems to be saying date modification isn't working for her.
    I even tried changing the date of receipt to an earlier date in December but it did not make a difference. Seems you cannot change the prior year's total account balance with entries made in the current year?
    I've seen scattered instances where some type of transaction edit doesn't carry through all the way, but not with date changes (as best I recall).  

@jayne3b:  You might try a delete and re-enter on the December date as opposed to an edit of the date.  
  • jayne3b
    jayne3b Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Testing different entries effects on reports revealed this error as a report problem.  I keep a 5 year balance sheet report in my saved reports.  I opened a new balance sheet report, using the same settings as the original. The account balances on this duplicated report agreed to ledger account balances for the current year and not to current year balances reported on the previously saved report.  Upon closer look at the original 5 year report I found some other accounts off by small amounts and found no transactions that agreed to the differences.  I did not check previous years balances but believe there are small variances there as well.

I have concluded that it is necessary to set up new reports rather than relying on existing saved reports.   I will check for reporting/ledger variances and remake this report and possibly others, on a monthly basis until I find another solution.   That's it for now.  Thanks for all comments.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    jayne3b said:

Testing different entries effects on reports revealed this error as a report problem.  I keep a 5 year balance sheet report in my saved reports.  I opened a new balance sheet report, using the same settings as the original. The account balances on this duplicated report agreed to ledger account balances for the current year and not to current year balances reported on the previously saved report.  Upon closer look at the original 5 year report I found some other accounts off by small amounts and found no transactions that agreed to the differences.  I did not check previous years balances but believe there are small variances there as well.

I have concluded that it is necessary to set up new reports rather than relying on existing saved reports.   I will check for reporting/ledger variances and remake this report and possibly others, on a monthly basis until I find another solution.   That's it for now.  Thanks for all comments.

"I have concluded that it is necessary to set up new reports rather than relying on existing saved reports."

I've certainly noticed that saved reports from one version of Quicken somehow get stepped on when upgrading to a newer version, e.g., Q2013 to Q2016.  I can only guess that it has to do with subtle differences in the database that happens between versions.

This discussion has been closed.