Where did my back-ups go!?

Just inserted the same flash drive I always use to back up because my account suddenly reverted to several months ago.  I back up at least once a week, but the last back up on my flash drive is from August of 2018.  How is this possible?

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2
    Good question. But without a crystal ball, we won't know.
    Please review the settings for your backups in Quicken, to make sure the settings match your needs and are actually enabled (a checkmark exists next to the titles "Automatic ..." and "Manual Backup". Even better, make sure you create a backup every single time you close Quicken.

If your account register appears to have lost data, check to ensure that the register is correctly sorted by Date. The "Date" column header should have a little triangle pointing up next to it. If it doesn't, click the Date column header.

How to properly set up Quicken Backup

How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically as you close Quicken

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that
    your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place:
    C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup
    settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will
    find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup
    should be enabled and always goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder
    which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup.
    Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [5] (or more,
    your choice) backup copies.

To create a Manual
    Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or
    USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup
    Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running
    Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the
    changes.

From now on, when
    you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this
    window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for
    "Backup on my computer".

Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external
    device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken
    Backup\QDATA-2017-04-01.QDF-backup

or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the
    filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder
    name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the
    option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you
    run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the
    Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ...
    and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to
    run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a
    while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at
    your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

How to restore from a backup, Automatic or Manual, whichever is more recent

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2
    Could you have possibly grabbed the wrong flash drive last time? 

Personally, I rotate between a couple of thumbdrives so that all my eggs are not in the same proverbial basket.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tamar MyersTamar Myers Member
    edited January 2
    splasher said:

Could you have possibly grabbed the wrong flash drive last time? 

Personally, I rotate between a couple of thumbdrives so that all my eggs are not in the same proverbial basket.

Foolishly, I only have one, but I am DEFINITELY going to start using two.
    edited January 2
    UKR said:

Please review the settings for your backups in Quicken, to make sure the settings match your needs and are actually enabled (a checkmark exists next to the titles "Automatic ..." and "Manual Backup". Even better, make sure you create a backup every single time you close Quicken.

If your account register appears to have lost data, check to ensure that the register is correctly sorted by Date. The "Date" column header should have a little triangle pointing up next to it. If it doesn't, click the Date column header.

Review the backup

In there you will

Automatic Backup
    Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [5] (or more,

To create a Manual

Click OK to save the
    changes.

From now on, when

When you get this
    "Backup on my computer".

Do not change the

Also choose the

Every day when you

Allow this backup to

Of course, once in a

Thanks very much.  Automatic back up WAS checked.  One of the problems is that I have several copies of quicken on my desktop from working with tech support in the past.  I accidentally clicked on an older one and it seemed to change all of them when I opened a different one.  I sorted through all the versions I could see and finally (on about the 8th one) found the current one.  
    I STILL don't understand what happened to the back up on my flash drive, but I will be sure to start backing up on multiple flash drives from now on.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2
    Tamar, I have the same problems, and I eventually find them. Usually they are in the Backup file under Quicken folder. Two tools I find helpful are 1) Add "Find Quickens Files" to your toolbar, and run it with your usb drive plugged in it may help you see where those backup file are. 2) Also I use an APP called Goodsync (free). When down loading that you also get what's called Goodsync Explorer. This tool is invaluable in seeing the the TREE in a usable form to see where all you content is stored in/ on your PC. give those a try and I'm confident you'll find those files...in there somewhere. Good Luck!
    edited January 2
    UKR said:

Review the backup

In there you will

Automatic Backup

To create a Manual

Click OK to save the
    changes.

From now on, when

When you get this
    "Backup on my computer".

Do not change the

Also choose the

Every day when you

Allow this backup to

Of course, once in a

While you might think you have several copies of Quicken on your desktop, you only have the program installed once.  It sounds like support had you create copies of your data file on the desktop. 

The Quicken data files do not belong on the desktop, they belong in a folder named Quicken under My Documents or Documents.When you decide which one is really the current one, I would move it to the Quicken folder and then in Windows Explorer, double click on the moved data file to get Quicken to remember where it is now located.

The next time you start Quicken using the Quicken program icon (on the desktop or the Start menu), it will open up the last file used (which you have just established).

edited January 2
    TJ said:

Tamar, I have the same problems, and I eventually find them. Usually they are in the Backup file under Quicken folder. Two tools I find helpful are 1) Add "Find Quickens Files" to your toolbar, and run it with your usb drive plugged in it may help you see where those backup file are. 2) Also I use an APP called Goodsync (free). When down loading that you also get what's called Goodsync Explorer. This tool is invaluable in seeing the the TREE in a usable form to see where all you content is stored in/ on your PC. give those a try and I'm confident you'll find those files...in there somewhere. Good Luck!

The backups found in the BACKUP folder under the Quicken folder are automatic backups made as defined in Preferences.

Manual backups are stored wherever the user decides when they are created.

edited January 2
    UKR said:

Review the backup

In there you will

Automatic Backup

To create a Manual

Click OK to save the
    changes.

From now on, when

When you get this
    "Backup on my computer".

Do not change the

Also choose the

Every day when you

Allow this backup to

Of course, once in a

Yes, I'm removing everything from my desktop except the current file that I'm using.   I'm not exactly sure how to get Quicken to put the backups where I want them, but I found them, at least.  In a folder called Backup.  I'll look into this next.  Thank you.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2
    TJ said:

Tamar I like to use a folder defined as just Quicken or QknQdf for my manual backup. I have one such set up on my C drive, and/or on a USB drive, and again on another USB drive that I alternate with. As Splasher noted set your tool bar up to include "Preferences" then go to Backup after you get there and take a look. I have the 3 boxes set to 5/50/3
    edited January 2
    UKR said:

Review the backup

In there you will

Automatic Backup

To create a Manual

Click OK to save the
    changes.

From now on, when

When you get this
    "Backup on my computer".

Do not change the

Also choose the

Every day when you

Allow this backup to

Of course, once in a

You have no choice where the Automatic Backups are stored, they will be in the BACKUP folder where the data file is located.  Automatic backups contain the date and time in the filename.

The manual backups are located wherever you decide at the time of creation.  Quicken also remembers that location so that you do not to enter it every time.