capital one moving to etrade

I have an account with Capital One Investing, which tomorrow will be transferred to Etrade.  Do I simply rename my existing account in Quicken and update the log-in credentials for the Etrade or must I close that account in Quicken, open a new account maned Etrade in Quicken and transfer 18 years worth of transactions?  What will this do to the information shown in the investing tab?

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I would say that really depends on how the transfer takes place.  If the transfer actually transfers the securities "unchanged" then I would certainly just change the existing account.  On the other hand if the securities are actually sold in the process it might be better to do the same in Quicken and create the new account.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You should be able to deactivate One Step Update on the Online Services tab of Account Details (Edit from Account List), then remove the CapOne info on the General tab.  Backup your data file, close and restart Quicken.  Then Reactivate OSU using the Etrade info.

I wouldn't get in too big a hurry, do you really want to be the trail blazer on this changeover?  If you wait a couple of days, there will probably some first hand experience from other users.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    splasher said:

You should be able to deactivate One Step Update on the Online Services tab of Account Details (Edit from Account List), then remove the CapOne info on the General tab.  Backup your data file, close and restart Quicken.  Then Reactivate OSU using the Etrade info.

I wouldn't get in too big a hurry, do you really want to be the trail blazer on this changeover?  If you wait a couple of days, there will probably some first hand experience from other users.

So this isn't just an one user kind of thing, all accounts are going there?

In that case I certainly would just deactivate/reactive.

But in fact the more I think of this there are "risks" involved.

Quicken decides if the downloaded transactions are new or not based on the unique Id.  Hopefully they don't change them in the process so that people will get a lot of duplicate transactions. 
  • edited November 2018
    splasher said:

Capital One is getting out of Investing and selling the entire operation that was formerly Sharebuilder/ING to Etrade, so I assume there will be many people in this boat.
  • edited November 2018
    QPW said:

I would say that really depends on how the transfer takes place.  If the transfer actually transfers the securities "unchanged" then I would certainly just change the existing account.  On the other hand if the securities are actually sold in the process it might be better to do the same in Quicken and create the new account.

My impression is that the commodities are being transferred to Etrade.  I don't believe that they are selling and re-buying.  Several months ago Capital One had sold all fractional shares because Etrade apparently only deals in whole number shares.  Likewise dividends have gone into the cash portion rather than reinvested,  again, as I understand, to keep all positions as whole number shares.  I don't think that they would have done that if they were going to sell, rather than transfer, the shares.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    splasher said:

In this case I would definitely, just deactivate/reactivate with the new information, but I would also wait until you are sure the change over has happened.

And be sure you make a backup before doing it!

Well here hoping it all goes smooth for you.  :-)
  • fordtuffffordtufff Member
    edited November 2018
    I can confirm today that if you add a new account for Etrade, it will enter a placeholder for total number of shares for each stock in your portfolio.
  • leadlead Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I tried what QPW said and it works (at least for now).
    If you do account transfer it gives the security but no lots or price history. So it seems like de-activate-restart Q. and activate the cap 1 account with the E-Trade info and everything is there.
    And be sure you make a backup before doing it!
  • edited November 2018
    That is what I'm going to do.  A wrinkle is that one of my securities spun off a new company on 11/1 and in Etrade right now it is appearing as a temporary security with no data.  I made the spinoff in Quicken, but am hesitant to sync with etrade until etrade figures it out.
  • PeterKPeterK Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Has anyone successfully connected to Quicken E*Trade?  It tells me I need an id, which I already have, but apparently  Quicken doesn't like it.  I have no problem using it to log on to Etrade.
  • edited November 2018
    2 Capital One Investing accounts to convert,  I just tried the deactivate/restart suggestion.  While it appears that one account that got linked has all of the previous entries/transactions  in the converted accounts,  the other one was added not linked (I think) and all previous transactions were gone, For both, when I click on Holdings for an "Account Overview," the cost basis information is missing and replaced by asterisks.

I backed up but not sure how I would use a backup to correct anything.

Be careful.
    edited November 2018

2 Capital One Investing accounts to convert,  I just tried the deactivate/restart suggestion.  While it appears that one account that got linked has all of the previous entries/transactions  in the converted accounts,  the other one was added not linked (I think) and all previous transactions were gone, For both, when I click on Holdings for an "Account Overview," the cost basis information is missing and replaced by asterisks.

I backed up but not sure how I would use a backup to correct anything.

Be careful.

You would Restore it (File menu) to put your file back in the same condition it was when you made the Backup.

• edited November 2018
    Thanks, Splasher, but I'm not sure what that would accomplishe for me.  I needed to set up automatic update for my converted etrade accounts.  It looks like all appropriate trasactions are in the account ledgers, and the total number of shares and their curren value shows up in the Account Overview when I click "Holdings" but for some reason, in the conversion Quicken is not calculating the cost basis, placing astericks as "placeholders."

Been using Quicken for 25 some years.  Disappointing that it can't do what I need.
    edited November 2018

Thanks, Splasher, but I'm not sure what that would accomplishe for me.  I needed to set up automatic update for my converted etrade accounts.  It looks like all appropriate trasactions are in the account ledgers, and the total number of shares and their curren value shows up in the Account Overview when I click "Holdings" but for some reason, in the conversion Quicken is not calculating the cost basis, placing astericks as "placeholders."

Been using Quicken for 25 some years.  Disappointing that it can't do what I need.

You stated that it added the one account rather than linking it.  That was a big mistake, so doing the restore allows you to try it again and get it correct this time.

To see placeholders, you have to change the setting in Preferences to show hidden transactions.  If any transaction does not have a proper basis, you will get the * in the overview.  Placeholders never have a basis.

• edited November 2018

I have restrored from a week ago and "one-step" updated as of today.  Each Capital One account connected and now shows all prior transactions and an entry as of 11/5/18 showing "account conversion to Etrade."

When I click on "Holdings," all shares are gone but each account shows an odd cash entry still there.  Not quite sure why, frankly.  When I go to the Etrad website to see my new Etrade accounts online, everything from the old Capital One account seems to be there.

Now I just need to see if using your process ( deactivate/activate) successfully converts the fomer Capital One accounts in Quicken to the new Etrade accounts, including cost basis.  For some reason I am not optimistic that will happen.

Wish me luck.
  • edited November 2018

I still have not done anything. 

One of my securities spun off a new company a few days before the conversion so I have a placeholder in ETrade.  The position still appears in Cap One.  I called Cap One and was told there is still some corporate activity to finish up so the position did not transfer over but would as soon as whatever corporate activity is completed. 

Until that happens I will leave things alone in Quicken.  I can find enough ways to confuse Quicken (or vice versa) without going out of my way.  What Quicken doesn't know won't hurt me.  Once the position appears in Etrade I will use the deactivat/reactivate process.
  • Perry SmithPerry Smith Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have Quicken for Mac.  The "About" says Quicken Premier 2019 Version 5.8.2.

TL;DR -- the unlink / link worked for me.

I started with ShareBuilder I think in 2015.  Moved to Capital One Investing.  Now moved to E*Trade. (Curiously, its called "Quicken E*Trade" inside quicken so are they owned by the same company?).

I found my quicken "file" (which is actually a directory full of gunk) via "Show **** in Finder" under File.  Then quit Quicken, made a copy (via the Finder) of my data to my desktop.  Then started Quicken and did the "unlink".  This involves going to Edit the account, change the download settings, and setting them to "manual".  I quit Quicken and made a 2nd backup.

Then started Quicken back up and linked it to E*Trade via Edit the account.  I searched for "Trade" and found the Quicken E*Trade entry under "Other".  Picked that, filled in my user id and password and it linked.

I had a dividend and a reinvest transaction which were new.  They were added.  I didn't see any other changes.  It appears to be working.  I'll update if I find problems.

I had only one Capital One Investing account and I now have only one E*Trade account.
  • Tim O'KeefeTim O'Keefe Member
    edited December 2018
    Hello, I've been following this thread for awhile because I've been using Sharebuilder/Capital One for the last 15 years.  It's too bad that no one is replicating that model because I've generated tremendous wealth.  I'll save that for another thread.  Just wanted to share my experience with the conversion in Quicken.

I created a test backup of the Quicken file on my Desktop.  Then deactivated the Capital One account.  Then saved the file and exited.  Opened a new file from the backup.  Went back into the deactivated Capital One account, changed the name to "E*Trade (CapOne-Sharebuilder)" to distinguish from my existing E*Trade account, entered the new E*Trade account number and setup a new online service in Quicken.  I followed the instructions (yes, Quicken found the account and called it "Quicken E*Trade" for some reason, entered my new E*Trade username and password, pressed "Finish" and, voila, everything that used to be CapOne was now E*Trade.  I confirmed the balances, saved the file, created another backup, deleted the test backup from my Desktop, and had a drink.  Glad and more than a little nervous that it might not work, but it's all good.

Hope others find this description helpful!
    edited December 2018

Hello, I've been following this thread for awhile because I've been using Sharebuilder/Capital One for the last 15 years.  It's too bad that no one is replicating that model because I've generated tremendous wealth.  I'll save that for another thread.  Just wanted to share my experience with the conversion in Quicken.

I created a test backup of the Quicken file on my Desktop.  Then deactivated the Capital One account.  Then saved the file and exited.  Opened a new file from the backup.  Went back into the deactivated Capital One account, changed the name to "E*Trade (CapOne-Sharebuilder)" to distinguish from my existing E*Trade account, entered the new E*Trade account number and setup a new online service in Quicken.  I followed the instructions (yes, Quicken found the account and called it "Quicken E*Trade" for some reason, entered my new E*Trade username and password, pressed "Finish" and, voila, everything that used to be CapOne was now E*Trade.  I confirmed the balances, saved the file, created another backup, deleted the test backup from my Desktop, and had a drink.  Glad and more than a little nervous that it might not work, but it's all good.

Your update reminded me that I would like to find a replacement to ShareBuilder.  I went surfing and found M1Finance  I have not used them but I noticed that they allow factional shares.

On a slightly different topic, that page says that it has "Free" trades.  And I've heard that Robin Hood does as well (and their web page seems to say the same thing).  How do those guys make money?  Anything that is "free" I'm very skeptical of.
  • edited December 2018
    I could not deactivate my Sharebuilder/Cap One account since back in 2012 one of my positions split (I was using MSFT Money at the time).  When I migrated to Quicken in 2015 somehow that transaction got screwed up and I had a phantom downloaded transaction that I could not process.  I had lived with the silly red flag since then, but it would not let me deactivate the account.  I called phone support and as had happened the last two times I tried to resolve it phone support was stumped even though I had my third session of screen share.  As a result I wound up creating a new account and now have my Sharebuilder  account as a hidden account so I have all the historical data.  Like others I had a bunch of placeholders for the cost basis, but manually entered the information and got rid of them.  
  • Tim O'KeefeTim O'Keefe Member
    edited December 2018

I've looked into M1 but I don't know anyone who uses it. Would sure like a couple of references. From what I've read, you can setup a Sharebuilder type account. It's all free. I would like to know how they make money before opening an account.
    edited January 2
    One of the things (please correct me if I'm mistaken) that Capital One Investing did was it did not report the dividend and reinvestment correctly.  It did it as two transactions.  That's fine.  But the two transactions should be a Div followed with a Buy.  Instead, they would send out a Div followed by a ReinvDiv.  The combination would result in your cash balance going up when it should not.

The ReinvDiv is if the dividend and the reinvest is entered as a single transaction (based upon my piddling around today).

So far, it appears as if E*Trade is doing it correctly with a Div followed by a Buy.

I start ShareBuilders 1/1/2015 and I started using Quicken (this latest time) 1/1/2017 and I had entered some things like the ShareBuilders (CapitalOneInvesting) back to somewhere like 3/31/2016.  Probably because that is what was offered for download.

Due to various mental disorders :-) I started down the quest to make my E*Trade exactly match with the cash balance as well as the shares for each stock.  Happily, I've now succeeded.

One thing I did which others might want to do (and it has already been suggested up above).  You can still go to the Cap One web site and download all of the transactions to csv files.  Its sorta tedious.  You have to do it year by year but, for me, four years wasn't bad.

edited January 2

One of the things (please correct me if I'm mistaken) that Capital One Investing did was it did not report the dividend and reinvestment correctly.  It did it as two transactions.  That's fine.  But the two transactions should be a Div followed with a Buy.  Instead, they would send out a Div followed by a ReinvDiv.  The combination would result in your cash balance going up when it should not.

The ReinvDiv is if the dividend and the reinvest is entered as a single transaction (based upon my piddling around today).

So far, it appears as if E*Trade is doing it correctly with a Div followed by a Buy.

I start ShareBuilders 1/1/2015 and I started using Quicken (this latest time) 1/1/2017 and I had entered some things like the ShareBuilders (CapitalOneInvesting) back to somewhere like 3/31/2016.  Probably because that is what was offered for download.

Due to various mental disorders :-) I started down the quest to make my E*Trade exactly match with the cash balance as well as the shares for each stock.  Happily, I've now succeeded.

One thing I did which others might want to do (and it has already been suggested up above).  You can still go to the Cap One web site and download all of the transactions to csv files.  Its sorta tedious.  You have to do it year by year but, for me, four years wasn't bad.

Some folks will argue whether it should be a ReinvDiv or a Div & Buy, but it should never be a Div & ReinvDiv. 

With Edward Jones, you get the ReinvDiv alone and that is the way I prefer it.

• Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2

Interesting that you receive a Div followed by a Buy from E*Trade. I have had E*Trade IRAs and Brokerage accounts for many years, and I have always received just a single ReinvDiv transaction. Maybe it has something to do with the Cap One accounts. Anyway, it's all good.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
This discussion has been closed.