Download Flags for New Transactions (updated to include all versions of QMac) (98 Legacy Votes)

2»

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled QMac: Transactions needing review for an account.

This feature has been evolving in a very positive direction.  Now that the user has complete control over the download status of each transaction, the "summary" indicator (blue dot) on the account list could be a more valuable tool.  After an update session, a blue dot appears indicating that one or more transactions have been downloaded. However, once you select a different account, the blue dot disappears even if you don't change the reviewed status of any of those transactions.  A more useful and expected behavior would be for the account list blue dot to remain until all of the transactions in the register have been cleared.  An even more useful tool would be for the "blue dot" to act more like an iOS notification badge where it displays the count of transactions that have not yet been cleared.

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to Edit this, but it should be obvious that in the two places in my post that I referred to transactions as having been "cleared", I meant to refer to transactions as having been "reviewed".  Thanks for the positive feedback.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been partially implemented in QM2017 v4.4, released December 2016, as per the 2017 Release Notes

It is a temporary flag the persists only until you open the account register, then it disappears (as it does in QWin when auto-accept downloaded transactions is turned on). 

The part that is still missing is for this flag to persist until all downloaded transactions have been processed. This likely can only be implemented when this other feature is also implemented.  (You may want click on that link to add your vote to that feature also).

If you have not, be sure to click VOTE at the top of this page to have the rest of this feature implemented. YOUR VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

I think they added this feature under QM2017 v4.4.0 that was just recently released.  

See post below: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/download-flags?topic-reply-list[settings][filter...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Don Arnel
    Don Arnel Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Need sidebar indicator for transactions needing review.

I see that this issue has been brought up many times under different titles, but really needs some new attention. I just recently converted to the Mac version after 21 years and find the simplicity very refreshing. There are just a few small annoyances I've discovered.

There is a small blue dot that appears next to an account in the sidebar when there are newly downloaded transactions. However, once you click away from that account, the blue dot disappears. There should be some kind of indicator to let you know there are still transactions needing review.

Simply changing the color of the dot from blue to red, for example, after clicking on an account with new transactions, would work really well:

Blue - new, unreviewed transactions.
         Red - unreviewed transactions.

Once all of the transactions are eventually reviewed, the dot would disappear.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Moving to merge.

Don – I had the same issue when I moved from Windows to Mac. I like your idea. As a workaround, here's what I've noticed:

If you are reviewing an account that has a blue dot, it will only disappear if you go to another account in the sidebar. If you instead click to a new tab at the top of the screen (Home, Reports, Bills, etc.), the blue dot will not disappear. Therefore, I've just gotten in the habit of clicking off an account and going to Home if there are still transactions to review. Not ideal, but I've gotten it to work for me.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Need sidebar indicator for transactions needing review.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging.

Good work-around tip. Thanks for sharing.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Moving to merge.

• Don Arnel
    Don Arnel Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

Thanks for the tip, John.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

This is actually a twofold issue. For the dot to be persistent, there also needs to be a downloaded transactions window area. That too has not been implemented. 

You can add your VOTE to:
    First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Downloading Data into Quicken. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Need sidebar indicator for transactions needing review.

• Don Arnel
    Don Arnel Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

Why is it necessary to have a "downloaded transactions window" in order for this to work? Transactions that have not been reviewed are already being marked with an icon in each account, and persists between launches. So, as long as one or more transactions remain unreviewed then that account could be flagged in the sidebar. Being a programmer, this seems very simple and straightforward to me. What am I missing?

• pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Good suggestion for an issue that has been around for ever. 

You may notice though these simple suggestion don't appear to get any reaction from the Quicken staff.  One of these days I am going to see how many of these suggestion have actually been implemented.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

You can check that out here. Follow this info to list all the IDEA threads and select IMPLEMENTED.  
    Quicken GetSat FAQ: How to Filter Conversations/Discussion Threads on this Forum (to see only what you want)

Note however that this list has not been updated with ideas implemented in v5.8 and v5.9.

Also, IDEAs that have only been partially implemented are only tracked here (and is also a little bit behind):
    EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

And of course, the complete list of changes is found here:
    Release Notes for all supported versions of Quicken

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    pauldv172 said:

Good suggestion for an issue that has been around for ever. 

You may notice though these simple suggestion don't appear to get any reaction from the Quicken staff.  One of these days I am going to see how many of these suggestion have actually been implemented.

You can check that out here. Follow this info to list all the IDEA threads and select IMPLEMENTED.  
    Quicken GetSat FAQ: How to Filter Conversations/Discussion Threads on this Forum (to see only what you want)

Note however that this list has not been updated with ideas implemented in v5.8 and v5.9.

Also, IDEAs that have only been partially implemented are only tracked here (and is also a little bit behind):
    EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

And of course, the complete list of changes is found here:
    Release Notes for all supported versions of Quicken

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Blue Dots in Account Bar disappearing.

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about what people want the blue dots in the account bar (I'm not talking about in the transaction register) to indicate. Like many users who are coming from the Windows version, I am used to the red flag staying on until all transactions have been reviewed in that account. For me, this is a handy indicator that I still have "work to do."

I do not like the fact that the blue dot disappears once I have opened the account register that has transactions to review. Sometimes I can't review them at that time and want a reminder to come back to that account. I would rather have the blue dot stay until all transactions have been reviewed. However, I see from the discussion that others like the way it is now. Maybe Quicken can give us the option in the future to choose which way this works.

Now, here's the good part – for those of you who would prefer to keep the blue dot on until all the transactions have been reviewed, I have stumbled upon a way to make this happen. I have noticed that if you click from the account with the blue dots directly to another account, the blue dot disappears. However, if you click onto a tab (Home, Reports, etc.) and then go to another account, the blue dot stays on!

Hope this is helpful to some of you. By the way, I'm on QWin 2017. Don't know if 2018 is still doing it this way.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019

Yes, still works that way in QM18. 

I agree it would be nice for there to be an option for a more persistent blue dot (or red flag). I would like the option for the blue dot to disappear when all transactions have been reviewed, but also a way to clear it manually. The latter is because I will sometimes leave an unreviewed transaction in a register that I don't expect to be resolved for many days or weeks, and in those cases, I'd want to be able to remove the blue dot.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Blue Dots in Account Bar disappearing.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

First, nice for pointing out the temp work-around to make the blue dot a little more persistent.

Now keep in mind that the function of the blue dot in QM2018 is only to identify that there is an account that has not been opened since the last time new transactions were downloaded. To change that behaviour could introduce some confusion as to what it is for and how to maintain it, unless you are suggesting repurposing the blue dot.

I believe that the blue dot disappearing as soon as you open the flagged account has an equivalent in QWin...and it works in a similar fashion when the Downloading Transactions Acceptance and Matching workflow is turned OFF.

That said, the Red Flag in QWin (and the Black Dot in QM2007) used to flag accounts is used to identify accounts that have transactions that have been downloaded but not yet matched and/or accepted (or deleted). This flag only works in conjunction with the Downloaded Transaction workflow and associated window. It is not independent. And it is persistent until all transactions in that window are processed. But in QM2018, there still is not that equivalent process.

If that is what you are looking for then I suggest you add your VOTE to 
    Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Downloading Data into Quicken. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Blue Dots in Account Bar disappearing.