Chase CC locking up Quicken in One Step Update.

Chase credit card download attempts  are locking up Quicken while attempting one step update in version 2016 and 2017 Using Windows 7 and Windows 10 on 2 computers. Have deactivated account and reactivated, reset account, and called Chase to delete then reauthorize account for Quicken access. No problem with 8 other financial institutions banks and credit cards. If I include Chase in one step update it locks Quicken and have to go to Task Manager to kill Quicken. Even if trying to update by itself manually. Have done validate and repair and no errors found. Does not give any error just locks the program. Tried restore of file from 1 month back and same thing happens but worked backed then. This started 2 days ago. I've been using Quicken for 20 years and never had an issue I couldn't solve till now.

Comments

• pbug56pbug56 Member
    edited December 2018
    FWIW, my Chase accounts including CC's are working normally.  But I'm using 27.1.16.14 - Windows Premium 2019 on Windows 10 Pro.
  • GeoffGGeoffG ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Try OSU with just Chase and let run through completion. It may not be locking up, but waiting for a response. Not normal, but might clear the issue.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • ReverettReverett Member
    edited December 2018
    Did that the first day of problem and let it run overnight. Still had to go to task manager to kill it the next morning. This has to be something locally since it locks up immediately and no time to go read anything at Chase or Quicken website's. I thought data file but a backup that was working 30 days ago does the same thing when restored.
  • splashersplasher ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Direct Connect or Express Web Connect?  Look on Account List (Tools menu).
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited December 2018
    Express Web Connect and if I try to use direct connect it does same thing. I can download a web connect file from chase and it will load transactions with no issue.
    edited January 27
    I have two Chase accounts and both are DC.  Not a resolution, but you are always better off with using DC over EWC.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

I have two Chase accounts and both are DC.  Not a resolution, but you are always better off with using DC over EWC.

And it is free for personal (non-commercial) accounts with Chase.

edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

BUT.... I does the same thing as I previously stated.
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

When you connect a Chase account via Direct Connect, Chase is is going to send you a secured message on their website that you have to acknowledge midway thru the connection setup.  This is not a regular email, it is on THEIR website.  Have the Chase website up in a browser and be already signed on so that you can see and respond to the message.

edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

I'm very aware of what you're saying but what I can't get across is that when I click send or any attempt to go to Chase through Quicken the software locks up, does not give any error and I can let it sit for hours and nothing. I've been using quicken for well over 20 years and have always been able to overcome issues without help but this one is causing me to seek help. I have deactivated, reset, deleted the account, and re-establish the account as new, restored backups, attempted to switch from DWC to DC I am very, very, familiar with how to do ALL of these tasks. I'm not a first time user. I've even rebooted my router thinking it was blocking something for some reason. When I attempt to re-activate it goes in to the spinning circle and says Attempting to locate your accounts at Chase and that's it! Locked up! Been doing this for 4 days now. It sometimes will allow me to link the account to my quicken account and when I do it locks when it attempts to download data. Password has been confirmed, User ID confirmed, Changed password at Chase to see if it would change anything, I didn't. I may just leave it alone for a while and see if something times out between my computer, Quicken and Chase.com and use Web Connect downloads for now.
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

Also, You don't have to be on the Chase website anymore to confirm Direct Connect. You can confirm via text message while you are setting connection up.
    edited December 2018
    Problem Solved!
    After spending 2 hours and 40 minutes on phone with Quicken support, and deleting and cleaning the install, downloading and installing a new package in a different location and setting up a new file with only Chase, and continuing to have the same problem they were unable to determine cause of problem and suggested we get Chase on the phone with us. After placing tech on hold to get a Chase support person on the phone with us the Quicken rep dropped off the line. So I again went through the issue with Chase and tech confirmed a ticket in progress for my login ID and account was established last Thursday. We went through everything and found no issues with Chase so he updated my call notes and said someone would get back with me in a day or 2. This definitely looked like a Chase issue.
    After getting off the phone after 2:40 with Quicken support and 25 minutes with Chase support I decided to change my default browser from Chrome to IE 11. Then attempted connection to Chase.com through IE 11 and went through new browser security setup with Chase. Once completed, Opened Quicken and was able to re-activate Chase and re-establish downloads. For some reason Chrome blocked security profile from Chase and locked the application when attempting to establish a connection to their servers. I then reconfigured CHrome to default browser and everything worked fine.

Thank You all for your input!
    edited January 27
    Glad to hear YOU were able to resolve this mysterious issue.  Only goes to show that a good number of connection issues are not Quicken related and NOT a bug that so many users instantly assume.

Too bad it took so much time with support, but in the end feel satisfied with resolving by your own experience and persistence.
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

Glad to hear YOU were able to resolve this mysterious issue.  Only goes to show that a good number of connection issues are not Quicken related and NOT a bug that so many users instantly assume.

Too bad it took so much time with support, but in the end feel satisfied with resolving by your own experience and persistence.

I agree GeoffG, Many are quick to blame Quicken for a bug and never look at their browser, firewall, router, or security as it relates to their connection or execution of the software. ALL has to be examined when troubleshooting a difficult issue and not just the software. In this case I never thought Quicken was the issue but since I never got an error and only a locked screen I had nowhere else to start other than the software. As it turns out, the issue appeared to be with Chrome not releasing the security filters previously invoked for some reason. I continue to investigate as to why. My current guess is that an update or download disabled a portion of my security features that related to Chase security that I have yet to determine which or why. 

Thank You for your positive comments.
  • Geri MoranGeri Moran Member
    edited January 27
    I just got off the phone with Chase because my Quicken One Step Update keeps failing and they told me that it is because I now have to PAY $9.95 a month to have Direct Connect.  WHAT?  
    edited January 27
    Are you specifically talking credit card or checking/savings?  If CC, this would be disappointing, but you should be able to downgrade to EWC and not pay.
    edited January 24
    You had an idiot on the phone. Call back tomorrow and get someone else. After I corrected my issue with connection I did switch to Direct Connect from Express Web Connect and it works fine and no charge. Be sure you call the right department for web support. That is not now, nor has ever been the policy of Chase. 
    My experience is with CC not checking/savings/bill pay.
    edited December 2018

I just got off the phone with Chase because my Quicken One Step Update keeps failing and they told me that it is because I now have to PAY $9.95 a month to have Direct Connect.  WHAT?  

You need to explain in detail what is failing.  Are you aware that you need to go to Chase website and authorize the connection before you can download any transactions?
    edited December 2018

It starts to connect and I get a message saying Chase won't accept the password. The password works fine when I go to Chase directly. I have been routinely downloading with One Step Update to these accounts for YEARS. It just suddenly stopped working in November. I tried deactivating them in Quicken and reactivatin them. I tried changing passwords in Chase and in Quicken vault. Finally when I called them they said that now you have to pay for it as Direct Connect. I never paid for it before. 
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

Are you specifically talking credit card or checking/savings?  If CC, this would be disappointing, but you should be able to downgrade to EWC and not pay.

Happens to all of my accounts 
    edited December 2018
    Reverett said:

You had an idiot on the phone. Call back tomorrow and get someone else. After I corrected my issue with connection I did switch to Direct Connect from Express Web Connect and it works fine and no charge. Be sure you call the right department for web support. That is not now, nor has ever been the policy of Chase. 

I don't know if it matters but I have checking, cc and savings accounts. I will try calling again tomorrow. Thanks
    edited December 2018

edited December 2018
    Reverett said:

Here is what it says about the fee;image
  • pbug56pbug56 Member
    edited December 2018
    Reverett said:

Odd, I've banked with Chase since I've worked for them over 30 years ago, did their very first try at home banking, and now Quicken for many years.  I pay bills via Chase, not Quicken, but Quicken pulls it all together for me.  And I've never paid fees.
    edited December 2018
    Reverett said:

When you say it happens to all accounts are you saying all Chase accounts or all accounts regardless of financial institution?
  • QPWQPW ✭✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Reverett said:

Geri Moran are these all personal accounts or are some of them business accounts?

Chase doesn't charge for personal accounts, but they do for business accounts.
    edited December 2018
    Reverett said:

Happens to ALL of my Chase accounts
    edited December 2018
    Reverett said:

OMG QPW that is IT.  I have 3 personal accounts and 2 business ones - all under one sign in. I have NEVER had to pay before but now they say I do and it is because of the business accounts!  Thanks for that info.  I will just download manually. Not worth it to me to pay for it.
  • Adam PressmanAdam Pressman Member ✭✭
    edited January 4
    Thought I'd share as I had a similar problem earlier that the update today (17.6 I believe to Quicken Home Bus Rental 2019 seems to have returned the speed from "glacial" to just "a little slow" which is where it was before the 2019 upgrade from 2018.   Hope it helps others here too.