After R15 upgrade, billminder table is almost unusable in investment registers

leishirsuteleishirsute Member
edited January 22 in Investing (Windows)
Updated from R13 to R15.
The billminder tab that shows in an investment register no longer displays a table with adjustable column widths or sortable columns.  If there are many bill reminders, the table totally hides the register entries and cannot be adjusted to show a portion of the register.  The billminder table has been rendered almost useless for investment registers when there are many reminders.  For a small laptop screen, the billminder table in the investment register becomes ridiculous to try to use.

Please fix to revert the billminder table user-friendly again.

I'm not sure who is doing the UI for Quicken, but I hope they are checking it out for common sense user-friendliness and smaller screens.
Quicken Windows 2017 Deluxe R19.1 on Windows 7 & 10 Pro

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited January 22
    How many reminders do you have due/overdue?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited January 22
    From C. D. Bales:

"The billminder tab that shows in an investment register no longer displays a table with adjustable column widths or sortable columns".

I have never seen any Quicken problem even remotely close to the "almost unusable" claim you make.

I can find no evidence that any Quicken for Window version ever allowed the user to control the width of columns in the "Bill and Income Reminders" tab below any Quicken account.

"If there are many bill reminders, the table totally hides the register entries and cannot be adjusted to show a portion of the register."

For several of the more recent versions of Quicken (I believe starting in Q2015), the user has been able to adjust the vertical size of the register in non-investment accounts (by grabbing the line just below the last transaction in the register): such an adjustment will provide more (or less) room for Downloaded Transactions and Reminders, below the register. That feature has not been available in investment accounts.

I can't find any evidence that the Reminders in the Reminder tab in investment accounts have ever been sortable.

I suggest you provide verifiable evidence of your claims.
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member
    edited October 2017
    mshiggins said:

At the end of each month, I have about 14 reminders.  These display and hide the register with no ability to adjust the view between reminders and register.

The hidden register is worse on a small screen laptop.
    After matching a few reminders, at least some of the register displays on the larger desktop screen.
    edited January 22
    SO you agree that the reminders hide the register with no ability to adjust the view between reminders and investment register - rendering the reminders practically unusable when trying to match reminders against the register.

Sorting the columns is a feature that is available in the Bill and Income section and should be extended to the investment register since it is the same column display in the reminders.
    Adjustable columns is a common sense feature that needs to be added to both the Bill and Income and investment reminders.  Some time the small columns widths make it hard to distinguish transactions that have the same first # of characters and adjustable columns would be much more user-friendly.

With the latest R15, the number of reminders columns now requires horizontal scrolling to see all columns.  That is a new user-unfriendly feature that is in both Income And Bill section as well as investment reminders.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser
    edited October 2017
    mshiggins said:

In QWin Premier 2017, you can expand and collapse (but not adjust) the Downloaded Transactions/Reminders/Placeholders table by clicking on the little arrow to the left of where it says "Downloaded Transactions."

For downloaded transactions at least, the max height of the table is limited and the entries scroll, so that if Quicken has the full height of the screen the table height maxes out at about 1/3 of the screen. Are you seeing something different? My screen resolution is 900 vertically and all the font sizes are set to default.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
    edited October 2017
    mshiggins said:

Well I tried it and with a long list of active reminders, sure enough the list doesn't scroll the way it does with downloaded transactions. The reminder list keeps growing, crowding out the register entries until none are visible.

You can, however, essentially toggle between seeing reminders and seeing the register by collapsing the reminder list with the little arrow at the left.

I can see how that would be annoying if you have a lot of reminders.
    edited November 2018
    I agree the list crowding out the register is a pain, see my updated comments above.
    edited October 2017

SO you agree that the reminders hide the register with no ability to adjust the view between reminders and investment register - rendering the reminders practically unusable when trying to match reminders against the register.

Sorting the columns is a feature that is available in the Bill and Income section and should be extended to the investment register since it is the same column display in the reminders.
    Adjustable columns is a common sense feature that needs to be added to both the Bill and Income and investment reminders.  Some time the small columns widths make it hard to distinguish transactions that have the same first # of characters and adjustable columns would be much more user-friendly.

With the latest R15, the number of reminders columns now requires horizontal scrolling to see all columns.  That is a new user-unfriendly feature that is in both Income And Bill section as well as investment reminders.

From C. D. Bales:

I disagree with everything that I made it clear I disagreed with in my previous post. I believe my earlier comments should speak for themselves.

Still, I will attempt to make my points clearer.

You said (in your original post): "The billminder tab that shows in an investment register no longer displays a table with adjustable column widths or sortable columns". [Keywords in your sentence are "no longer"]

Since the billminder tab in investment accounts has NEVER "displayed a table with adjustable column widths or sortable columns", your claim is false. The R15 patch did not prevent reminder columns below investment accounts (or any other account type) from being adjustable; nor did it prevent reminders below investment accounts from being sortable. Because neither of those capabilities have ever been possible.

As to what "should be": that is a much different issue, and one which you have not provided sufficient evidence to claim "should" status for. Many features that users would like are not economically feasible - and features that are not economically feasible can't be treated as if they "should be" provided.

One of the "economically feasible" considerations is: how many users are affected by the problem (and how seriously are they affected). How many users have so many investment account reminders that they are significantly affected by the inability to size the Downloaded Transactions/Reminders tab below investment accounts?

If you want features - such as a vertically sizeable reminder tab - added to Quicken, I believe the means to make that request is available in this Community; I suspect you'll have better luck trying that approach.

Claiming that a recent change to Quicken has deprived you of features that never existed, then backpedaling and saying that you were just making a suggestion, is not a good approach.

And while I agree that having to scroll horizontally to view the entirety of a reminder, is a new and unwanted, "feature"; I believe this is something that, at worst, is an unintended temporary change. Users have been begging for additional columns in Reminders for a long time; there is no reason to believe that the current (apparent) response to that desire is acting as intended. My guess is that Quicken has already planned to fix that. But given the much more important issue of getting Quicken off of Intuit servers and on to Quicken servers by the deadline, I believe it should be understandable that the hierarchy of tasks to do may leave fixing the reminder displays lower on the task list.

[FYI: Quicken has not had an investment "register" for over a decade. Quicken investment accounts have "Transaction Lists" instead of "registers".

Quicken Transaction Lists are significantly different from (and more limited than) Quicken registers. For an example of the difference: you can not select multiple transactions in Quicken Transaction Lists (despite the fact that doing would appear to be such a useful feature - a feature which is available in non-investment accounts).

Often users rail against the differences between the way Quicken treats investment accounts and the way Quicken treats non-investment accounts (without ever realizing/acknowledging that Quicken investment accounts are fundamentally different from Quicken non-investment accounts) - but the decision to an important part of that difference was intentionally made a long time ago, and has withstood multiple complaints. If you want the treatment of investment accounts changed, you'll need to post your request - making it clear that is a request - and get in line.]
    edited October 2017
    mshiggins said:

Mike, while you await a change in behavior that will enable you to size the reminders tab, one workaround would be to action your reminders more frequently than once per month.
    edited October 2017
    mshiggins said:

Or if it is not a 401k account and the transactions are mostly cash, not buys and sells, you might consider setting up a linked checking account, which will give you a real register for the cash portion of your account. 

Note that this has pros and cons and may not be easily reversible. Make sure you back up your data file before trying this option.
    edited January 6

I must admit I was confused about the investment account "register" vs "transaction list" terminology.

Quicken could help make the distinction clearer by removing the 3 references to "register" in the gear dropdown for investment accounts. 
    edited October 2017
    mshiggins said:

He might have to redo the reminders to be regular reminders rather than dividend or interest reminders. I have my Ameritrade brokerage account set up with a linked cash account and lots of dividend reminders. Those dividend reminders are listed in the brokerage account, not in the linked cash account.
    edited October 2017
    mshiggins said:

I match the month end transactions against the reminders. Those transactions download last day of month. I usually match reminders when the transactions are downloaded and check everyday. However. The month end downloads occur mostly on the same day.
    edited October 2017

Thank Bates for clarifying what doesn't work as opposed to just user unfriendly design.
    edited October 2017
    mshiggins said:

Are reminders in a linked account displaying for you. My linked account has no reminders tab anymore after upgrade. I have 2 reminders due in the linked cash account and there is no tab. However there is a clock icon in the account list showing that reminders are due in the account. The bills and reminders section shows the transactions as due but no tab in the linked register. Both transactions are for loan payments due to me. So they have loans associated. I will check further and report this in separate post. Prior to upgrade the reminders displayed in the linked account register.
    edited October 2017
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

"The billminder tab that shows in an investment register no longer displays a table with adjustable column widths or sortable columns".

I have never seen any Quicken problem even remotely close to the "almost unusable" claim you make.

I can find no evidence that any Quicken for Window version ever allowed the user to control the width of columns in the "Bill and Income Reminders" tab below any Quicken account.

"If there are many bill reminders, the table totally hides the register entries and cannot be adjusted to show a portion of the register."

For several of the more recent versions of Quicken (I believe starting in Q2015), the user has been able to adjust the vertical size of the register in non-investment accounts (by grabbing the line just below the last transaction in the register): such an adjustment will provide more (or less) room for Downloaded Transactions and Reminders, below the register. That feature has not been available in investment accounts.

I can't find any evidence that the Reminders in the Reminder tab in investment accounts have ever been sortable.

I suggest you provide verifiable evidence of your claims.

I was evidently confused with the inconsistent behavior of sortable checking account downloaded transactions and investment reminders.

Also. If I recall correctly, The bill and reminders section seem to have sortable and adjustable column width. The same columns evidently have inconsistent behavior in the investment account registers.
    edited October 2017

I will post a?request as suggested.
    edited October 2017

I posted a separate Problem for the reminders hiding the register at
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/bill-and-reminders-can-hide-investment-transacti...
    edited January 6

Jim, the distinction of register vs transaction list should be changed to the simpler terminology of banking register or investment register.  Clearly a banking register contains transactions. To the user, they both look like registers.  Why the confusing terminology?