investment reports

paulmpaulm Member
edited January 7 in Reports (Mac)
put back the investment reports that were in 2007 - and are in Windows versions.
0 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

Comments

• lp1756lp1756 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Please!
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Yes this would be a very nice upgrade for QM users; In addition to the reporting issues lot management among many other investment issues is a basic investment necessity
  • Eric WebsterEric Webster Member
    edited September 2018
    Agreed! Why on Earth would Intuit develop, release, and compel upgrades to a product so inferior to one nearly 10 years older? Bring back all the reports of Quicken 2007; they assist greatly with financial literacy.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15

Eric, it's mainly a matter of time and available manpower -- and not enough of either. It's not a matter of "bring back" -- it's "re-create", because they couldn't maintain and add onto the ancient underpinnings of the original Quicken for Mac. It unfortunately takes a lot of time to program the functions we're used to in Quicken 2007 and earlier for Mac, or Quicken for Windows, both of which benefited from 2+ decades of development. The Mac development team is only a handful of people, so they've had to prioritize dozens of features users are anxiously waiting for. They've made pretty good progress since Quicken 2015 debuted, but there are still many features that many of us are waiting for.

Do take a minute to go to the Quicken Mac feedback page and type what you're looking for in the "Something not listed? Tell us" box. The more individual comments they get about what users are wanting (with as much info as you can fit in 255 characters!), the higher these issues rise on the priority list. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • John BurgessJohn Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited November 15

I've been asking for restored investment reports since I upgraded to QM 2015, and again to 2016, and again to 2017.  I still can't get a portfolio summary by account, with detail to each security...  And The tax summary report doesn't summarize by account!  -- which is what I need to compare to the 1099s I receive and report to the IRS.
  • WillyHWillyH Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Tis one of the main reasons I don't upgrade.  Can't believe they still don't have. At least they should allow a printout of what is displayed on the screen.
  • Paul SchopfPaul Schopf Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I found that I was able to select the rows on the screen from the "Investing" page, then do a Copy -> Paste (into Bbedit) and get a tab-delimited set of rows from the data.   Not the best, but a step toward getting the data into Excel and Numbers.  Unfortunately, the "Securities" column comes back as a separate row, which complicates tab-delimited import into the spreadsheet.
  • Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    We added the ability to print and export the portfolio view in 2018 v5.6.  Also, 2018 has IRR and ROI capabilities in the portfolio view.  Cap Gains report can be found in the Tax Schedule report.  
  • Mike CunninghamMike Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited January 7
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken for Mac v. 2017. -Investment Report by Account.

Apologies up front as I'm sure this was probably posted but cannot locate. Are there plans to create report feature that allows for an Investment Report within Each Account? So the Investment Report by Account would display a list of securities within each Account. 
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken for Mac v. 2017. -Investment Report by Account.

Apologies up front as I'm sure this was probably posted but cannot locate. Are there plans to create report feature that allows for an Investment Report within Each Account? So the Investment Report by Account would display a list of securities within each Account. 

Hey Mike,

I have moved your comment to the main idea thread to vote for investment reporting.

While some features have been added such as printing and exporting the portfolio view, was there anything specific that you were hoping to see?

Let us know!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    edited November 15

Hi Tyka:

Really just looking to be able to create a report of Investments by account. for example:

IRA Account
    - Mutual Fund A
    - Mutual Fund B
    - Stock A
    - Stock B
    - Cash
    TOTAL

Didn't see anything in Quicken 2018 that such a customizable report was available? Thanks a lot!

Mike
    edited November 15

Mike, you generate such a report by printing from the investments screen, not from something under the Reports menu. So if you want all your investments in the report, click on Investing in the left sidebar to load your investment portfolio. Make sure the tab at the top is on Portfolio, not Transactions. Under the chart (which you may want to disable, by dragging the little dot centered under the graph up towards the top of the screen, because it takes awhile to calculate and draw if you have a lot of history), set your filters for what you want to see. In this case: Portfolio Value, Group by Account, All Investing Accounts.

Now for the good news/bad news/good news part.  First good news: you can click on the little printer icon to the right of the filters, and generate a report of all your holdings. I suggest selecting Open PDF in Preview in the print dialog box, so you don't waste paper, because -- here's the bad news -- the problem is that it currently generates the report showing every individual lot under each investment. So instead of a simple one or two page report of your investments, you might get a report that's 20, 30, 40 or more pages. Since that's probably not what you're looking for, instead you will likely want to click the icon to the right of the printer to export to a .csv file, and then open that in Numbers. In numbers, you can pretty quickly either delete the rows of lots, or copy-and-paste into a new spreadsheet the total lines for each security. Clearly, this is not ideal, as it takes a few minutes to create the simple report you were looking for -- but at least you can get there. Now for the second good news: the product manager has acknowledged this is not optimal and said they would create a way to print without showing all the lots in a forthcoming upgrade. Since it's been about 6 weeks since version 5.7 was released, there's a good chance the next release is coming pretty soon; hopefully it will add this functionality, so creating the report you're looking for will be a single mouse click.
    edited November 15

Any further/recent development on this topic?
    edited November 15

Yes, in fact! Happily, you now have a choice of printing a detail report showing all the lots or omitting the detail. This improvement was introduced in version 5.8 in late September.
This discussion has been closed.