Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Manage Accounts and Transactions (Mac)

Add Option to Have Local Rules for Renaming Payees in Quicken for Mac (163 Legacy Votes)

2»

Comments

• Shelley@[email protected] Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hi! I am hoping somebody on this thread can help me understand whether a problem I have been having relates to this "renaming" "smart payee" discussion: when I first moved from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac 2016, it appeared that my downloaded transactions mostly applied my custom categories to payee's that had previously downloaded. For example, Starbucks (and all variations of Starbucks) was automatically assigned "Misc" and not Quicken's category of "coffee" (can't remember the exact category Quicken actually uses). Some time ago I upgraded to Quicken 2018, and since then ALL of my custom categories are auto-categorized as "uncategorized". I have spent hours on the phone with Quicken support trying to fix this, including rebuilding my file more than once. But after reading this and other threads, I'm wondering if this feature doesn't exist in the current 2018/2019 version of Quicken? Thank you in advance for clarifying. 
    edited November 2018

I am frustrated because every downloaded credit card transaction is assigned to the wrong category. I need to manually go through and recategorize every one. While it can be argued the process assures I look at each transaction it is annoying and time consuming. It seemed to me it worked fine until about a year ago when categories became mis categorized. Computers are supposed to be time savers, not time wasters. Tempts me to look at other options for financial record keeping.

Could you please clarify: does Quicken currently categorize downloaded transactions based on already saved payees and associated categorization? Because it's not doing so for me! (Although I think it DID do so when I was using Quicken Mac 2016 and 2017...) 
  • joanwolcottjoanwolcott Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

I am frustrated because every downloaded credit card transaction is assigned to the wrong category. I need to manually go through and recategorize every one. While it can be argued the process assures I look at each transaction it is annoying and time consuming. It seemed to me it worked fine until about a year ago when categories became mis categorized. Computers are supposed to be time savers, not time wasters. Tempts me to look at other options for financial record keeping.

Experiencing the same issue with 2019 for MAC
  • Trev43Trev43 Member
    edited January 2019

it would be great to be able to see the complete table of rules - if quicken is learning this functionality why not show us the table to be able edit it to our preference ... :)

Ericrose12 and smayer97 the UI/UX is already functional in Quicken for Windows and has been for years. This was a very dumb miss for Quicken macOS (which I use). Back end dev work is minimal. Why is this is a  open thread still?

Easy fix Quicken...let's go.
  • ericrose12ericrose12 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

it would be great to be able to see the complete table of rules - if quicken is learning this functionality why not show us the table to be able edit it to our preference ... :)

Now that is the million dollar question!!
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Developing for Mac and Windows is very different, so the fact that the feature exists for Windows does not mean it's "minimal" to do for Mac. The databases are different, the UI tools are different, everything is different, except we want it to look and behave pretty much the same. And while you say is was dumb to not yet address this in Quicken Mac, it's a matter of having many, many feature requests and not having the staff/time/resources to tackle them all at once. One might say the same thing about the reports in Quicken Mac, which they've been working on over the past year and still haven't completed; after all they exist in Quicken Windows, right? But it's not as simple as that. It's all a matter of prioritizing the most-needed improvements and working their way down a long list of requested features.

The good news is that the Mac product manager has dropped hints that this is something they're working on, so I'd expect to see something released sometime this year that will address this issue.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Trev43Trev43 Member
    edited January 2019

Thanks for your lesson in dev work--I work in that field. The real annoyance is that it is not getting priority. It's not a heavy ask.

Can you share the link to where the Mac product manager is dropping these hints?
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Hint from Marcus: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-subscription-v5-9-released?topic...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Trev43Trev43 Member
    edited January 2019

Thanks smayer97! Appreciate the productive reply. Very helpful.
    edited January 2019

:-)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

? Add your vote here:

(

• Peter SidellPeter Sidell Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It is exactly the problem we are talking about.
    Quicken says Quicken for Mac hasn't remembered categories since Quicken 2007. Something Changed after 207 however. Until then the categories assigned to downloaded credit card transactions were usually correct. Now they are all wrong. Only occasionally will the no category be the category selected. Instead the categories are mis assigned. Often they look OK, but I find they are significant modifications to the categories I used to use. I can't tell if the credit card provider makes the assignment or if some algorithm in Quicken is doing it.Sometimes when I select the misaligned category a drop down will appear which has as a choice the correct category. That suggests to me that somewhere in the database Quicken knows the correct category but doesn't choose to use it. With 50-100 credit card charges a week that is a lot of editing that wasn't necessary a year ago.
  • feivelfeivel Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

I 100% agree with what you're saying jacobs, AND the difficulty is that we, customers, have no idea what's going on behind the scenes and that can be frustrating.  We have no way of knowing if there is 1 employee or 1000 employees of Quicken working on the Mac updates, nor do we have any idea what is currently in the works, what is on queue for the next round of updates, or what ideas Quicken has deemed unworthy in the first place.  Not to mention any sort of suggested timeline for this feature or any others...

I think that if Quicken would offer a little more transparency and communication about updates with their clientele, they'd be able to raise morale and prevent such hostile comments on these forums.
  • HoltHolt Member
    edited January 2019

Well said @feivel! I agree!
    edited January 2019

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Rename rules.

Can Quicken add the ability to tell it to always rename a payee name to a modified one?

Every-time I go to a local restaurant it shows some strange garbage name consistently, and I consistently rename this but it doesn't learn. Mint has done this well for years, does Quicken have plans to add it?

Have tried this, doesn't work. At least not any more, in Quicken 2019.
    edited January 2019

Auto-categorization and Payee renaming rules are 2 different functions, though they appear related. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

? Add your vote here:

(

edited January 2019
    BTW, for all those struggling with the auto-categorization, you may want to add your ME-TOO to this problem thread:
    Memorized Payee/Category for Mac

? Add your vote here:

(

• BmaBma Member
    Me too.  I want to control how payees are categorized and be able to save those, especially split transactions (ie. payroll check that is distributed to taxes, medical, etc categories).  I did this for years on Windows Quicken.  Am now converting to MAC Quicken and feature seems missing.
  • GarySzyGarySzy Member ✭✭
    I am tired of correcting categories to my transaction downloads.  I there a way to memorize a category to a payee?
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GarySzy No, not currently. But the Quicken Mac product manager has said they're currently working on developing changes in the categorization area, which may include the ability to "memorize" transactions. We don't yet know how this will work, nor how soon this new functionality will be available.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • This is so frustrating as I waste time every week, manually renaming Payees. Just spent 3 hours doing an annual audit of payees with lots of manual merge.  Please incorporate this feature into Quicken.  It will save your users lots of time and make the product much more professional and efficient.
  • cschabcschab Member
    I need for transactions that are imported set with the category that I want (not some default that Quicken does). I used Quicken on Windows for years, and relied on this feature. It's very frustrating to have to go back through transactions and manually set categories (or which account to transfer to/from)!
This discussion has been closed.