Should I start a new Quicken File for 2019

2»

Comments

• Jason HayesJason Hayes Member
    edited January 6
    It appears that there are two camps here; one who likes to do annual files and one who likes comprehensive files.  There are benefits and advantages to both systems depending on each person's preference.  

I recommend that Quicken construct an annual option for Mac users who want to do it; then the debate is over and everyone is happy.  Now that I'm in 2019, the only information I need from prior years is loan, asset and investment history.  If I type 2018 instead of 2019, then I have to search for the transaction. I do not want to "search" for a transaction in a multiple year file.  
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6

It appears that there are two camps here; one who likes to do annual files and one who likes comprehensive files.  There are benefits and advantages to both systems depending on each person's preference.  

I recommend that Quicken construct an annual option for Mac users who want to do it; then the debate is over and everyone is happy.  Now that I'm in 2019, the only information I need from prior years is loan, asset and investment history.  If I type 2018 instead of 2019, then I have to search for the transaction. I do not want to "search" for a transaction in a multiple year file.  

But what happens if your memory is a little fuzzy, you may end up searching in multiple files for the transaction, whereas if you keep everything in one file, you search is over the first attempt.  You also have to open and convert all of the year end files every time you upgrade to a newer version of Quicken.  I'm definitely a keep it all in one file type user.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Liz JLiz J Member
    edited January 9

I've kept a single file for many years also, even though I liked the ability in much earlier versions of Quicken to start a new year with end of year balances and unreconciled transactions. The current generation of Quicken for Mac does not have that feature. 

A single file has worked fine, although I do get annoyed with so many hidden accounts, ancient payees, etc. However, my Quicken data file is now corrupted. I've followed support's instructions to Export the current file and re-import it (along with a lot of other work), to solve this problem. But, something in the corruption makes it impossible to Export the file. It just hangs up. 

So, I do think I'll start a new file on 1 January 2019, since working with a corrupt data file makes me nervous. Does anyone, especially Quicken, have any suggestions for the best way to do this? Is there an easy-to-follow recipe? 

I don't want start with my current file and delete old transactions, obviously. So, I was planning to start a new file, re-create all my current accounts with starting balances, re-enter any open/unreconciled transactions, etc.

I'm a long time user (Windows) and started having corruption issues a few years ago.  It so annoying.  Quicken support recommended on several occasions to start a new Quicken file every year.  It sucks!!  I too would like to be able to search and see a history of transactions. But, I'm going to start another new file for 2019. :(  
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9

I've kept a single file for many years also, even though I liked the ability in much earlier versions of Quicken to start a new year with end of year balances and unreconciled transactions. The current generation of Quicken for Mac does not have that feature. 

A single file has worked fine, although I do get annoyed with so many hidden accounts, ancient payees, etc. However, my Quicken data file is now corrupted. I've followed support's instructions to Export the current file and re-import it (along with a lot of other work), to solve this problem. But, something in the corruption makes it impossible to Export the file. It just hangs up. 

So, I do think I'll start a new file on 1 January 2019, since working with a corrupt data file makes me nervous. Does anyone, especially Quicken, have any suggestions for the best way to do this? Is there an easy-to-follow recipe? 

I don't want start with my current file and delete old transactions, obviously. So, I was planning to start a new file, re-create all my current accounts with starting balances, re-enter any open/unreconciled transactions, etc.

Liz, this was originally a thread about Quicken Mac, but a number of Windows users have now posted here and the comments are intermingled. 

For Quicken Mac, which is built on a modern, industry standard SQL database, there generally is not a reason for users to need to start new files each year; the database doesn't have the stability issues that the old Quicken Mac or Quicken Windows -- based on much older database technology -- are prone to. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Marilyn MomenyMarilyn Momeny Member
    edited January 13
    How can I tell if I have a corrupt data file?  I just upgraded to Quicken 2019 and the response time on everything is horrible.  I have already installed the MODNO repair.  Didn't help.  Should I start a new data file?  

This discussion has been closed.