investment return history stock mutual fund conversion

joanne busansky
joanne busansky Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Elaborate.
    Include what Q product you're running, what country, what Build/Release and what operating system.

Also, explain in detail what your question is.  We're other users ... not MindReaders.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• joanne busansky
    edited January 2019
    sorry,  I wrote a long inquiry  with lots of screenshots and for some reason when I posted it was gone- so I just edited it and posted. how do I tell if the edits are there? I got a message that I don't have access when I tried to post the edit.
  • joanne busansky
    edited January 2019
    Looks like my edits didn't post to my to my original question, so I'll try with my reply. 

I'm having a problem with mutual fund conversions.  After the conversion, Quicken treats the new symbol as a brand new investment from a return perspective.  A recent example is  the conversion of PETDX to PETAX. I entered the transaction as a mutual fund conversion. Quicken ignores all the  dividend history for PETDX when calculating returns for PETAX,  over $13,000 in dividends. I seem to have the same problem with corp acquisitions and mergers.

I'm running quicken for windows release R 17.6

thank you in advance for your help.

• joanne busansky
    edited January 2019
    Correction- Quicken Premier personal for windows release R 17.6
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Looks like my edits didn't post to my to my original question, so I'll try with my reply. 

I'm having a problem with mutual fund conversions.  After the conversion, Quicken treats the new symbol as a brand new investment from a return perspective.  A recent example is  the conversion of PETDX to PETAX. I entered the transaction as a mutual fund conversion. Quicken ignores all the  dividend history for PETDX when calculating returns for PETAX,  over $13,000 in dividends. I seem to have the same problem with corp acquisitions and mergers.

OK,  those graphics helped ... but can you show us the transaction in the register where you recorded the conversion ... because I think that THAT's where the problem is.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• joanne busansky
    edited January 2019

ok here it is. I see the $68MM in the removed,  I read the thread here https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/qwp-2018-growth-of-10-000-chart-incorrect-after-... so I think I get that part, although I cant edit that field.  I'm still stuck on the returns 

• joanne busansky
    edited January 2019

Hi again, 
    Im posting the pictures from the register again, any ideas on why im not seeing the dividend history?:
    remove:

Added
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Two things:

-- Until recently there was a problem with the Removed transaction in a conversion, where Quicken would sometimes compute a ridiculously high number for the value of the shares removed. If you click on the Removed transaction, look at the number in the second line of the Action column. From your screenshot it looks like $68,080,651.58. It should be (shares removed) * (price per share removed).

You can edit this number to correct it. You may also have to go to the price history for the  old security to correct that as well. Back up your data file first in case something goes wrong.

--When you are looking at the performance for a conversion, you have to include both the old and new security in the analysis.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • joanne busansky
    edited January 2019
    Thanks very much for your reply. 

So there is no way to see a consolidated return for a converted stock or fund? you have to look at them both and add them together?

I track my investments in portfolio with closed lots hidden, the return for PETAX doesnt reflect about $23,000 for PETDX. Id like to find some way to see the total return without having to have closed lots open (the report becomes unmanageable)  and then add the two together.

Another circumstance where this happens is when I move a holding to a different account. An example of this is my investment in AGNC, which I purchased an held my IRA for years, I transferred  it to my ROTH IRA. The return calculations do not reflect  income earned during the period AGNC was in my IRA. - about $9000. Is there any work around?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    For performance tracking, a consolidated return IS looking at both - you held the old security until the conversion date, then the new one after.

For the investing performance report for example, you would set the date range you want and include both securities. It is not affected by the closed lot setting. If the conversion is recorded properly, it may not appear at all in the combined report because it is a new investment and a return of the same amount on the same day.

If you move a security between accounts, you should include the security and both accounts in the analysis.

Corrected update: In the Investing > Portfolio views, if you select Show closed lots AND the Start date is early enough, you CAN see consolidated performance numbers, for the Avg. Annual Return at least.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • joanne busansky
    edited January 2019
    JIm,

Thanks for your help. I was thought I might be doing something wrong when I entered transactions and hoped there was a way to get the income history to follow a stock or fund after a conversion, or account change automatically  based on your replies, it seems there isn't and the only way is through report settings.

I appreciate your taking the time to clarify an reply to my questions.