Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Capital One New Requests re-authorization

Quicken Deluxe 2019, Version R17.6, Build 27.1.17.6
I follow the dialog leading to "Reset Account". I re-authorize my "Capital One Bank - New" accounts and it sometimes works for a day. Next day the process starts all over again with "Reset Account" dialog. This has been happening for many months. Is there a fix or work-around? This also happens with my Capital One 360 accounts, as well. Thank you.

Comments

• ericweinerericweiner Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    As much as you'll hate this advice, I recommend you remove Quicken from your computer. Reinstall and update to the latest version of Quicken. Start a new quicken file. Like you I was plagued by many issues connecting to finance institutions. Including Capital One credit card. After starting all over, and my file was many years old, all of my issues are gone. Over the last 2 months I have had zero connection, download or payee issues. I use latest 2018 version of premier.

The road to this point was a hard one. Premier had many problems that caused some serious issues for bill paying. You can find those threads. I believe many issues are related to old file formats. Others will disagree. The payee issue from late 2018 was 100% related to file format and the correction was to delete all payees and re-add them. I chose to start over.
  • HalHal Member
    edited January 2019
    Thank you, Eric. My Quicken data goes back to 1994 and I think "starting over" is a drastic move for me. I would rather do manual downloads for Capital One and skip the hassle. I am running the latest version: Quicken Deluxe 2019, Version R17.6, Build 27.1.17.6. Version updates automatically. Nonetheless, I do appreciate your suggestion. BTW, I did a "File Operations .. Validate and Repair". There were some issues that I repaired. Re-ran with "NO ERRORS".
  • ericweinerericweiner Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Cool. BTW, you do not have to accept the updates. When Windows asks you to confirm the update click "No". While Quicken will not recommend this, too many updates cause new issues. Better to wait and do less often.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    edited January 2019
    Hello Hal,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing issues downloading transactions from Capital One and thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community.

Are you still receiving the Connectivity Error dialogue window with the prompt to reset the account?  If so, if you cancel or close that window instead of following the prompt, does the One Step Update Summary window open and list an error code or message next to Capital One?

If so, please let us know what error is showing.

If not, we will need to look into this issue a little further, please go to the Help menu at the top of Quicken and select "Report a Problem".  In the window that opens, enter "Attn: Sarah" in the subject line and mark the boxes for the OFXLog.txt file and Connection Log.txt file and "Send to Quicken".

These log files contain the internal communications between Quicken and the Financial Institution servers and often contain more information about the root cause of an error than the messages in Quicken provide.  Once sent, please just reply here to let me know so I can find it in the system.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • HalHal Member
    edited January 2019
    Thank you, Sarah. I sent the log files you requested.Here are 2 screen shots that may help.
    edited January 2019
    Hal said:

Thank you, Sarah. I sent the log files you requested.Here are 2 screen shots that may help.

Hi Hal,

Thank you very much for sending in the logs and for posting the screenshots above. 

I located the submission and performed a review of the log files, where I found an internal CC-506 error associated with the Avi-UGMA account causing the error seen in the screenshots.

We should be able to fix the error with a few steps, please first deactivate each account being tracked in Quicken with Capital One Bank - New by going to the Tools menu > Account List and clicking the "Edit" button to the right of the first Capital One account name.

In the Account Details window that opens, select the middle tab for "Online Services" and then "Deactivate".  The window should refresh and show a "Set up now" button instead; when it does, please click OK and close the Account Details window, returning to the Account List.

Repeat these steps until all of the Capital One Bank - New accounts have been deactivated.

With the accounts deactivated, please then close and re-open Quicken - this forces a refresh of the internal database tables and ensures the changes are retained.

With Quicken open, we should now be ready to reactivate the accounts.  Please go to the Tools menu and this time select "Add Account", going through the steps to authorize the accounts for download in Quicken, ensuring every account you want to see in Quicken has a checkmark, even the Capital One 360 account if it appears.

After the authorization is complete, you will then see a list of all accounts found, be sure to "Link" the accounts to their already existing names in Quicken, this ensures no duplicate accounts or balances.

Once all the accounts are reactivated, please run the One Step Update, it should now complete with no error messages or codes, but please let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah

• HalHal Member
    edited January 2019
    Hal said:

Thank you, Sarah. I followed your directions exactly. Looks like it worked. I linked all the accounts to the proper Quicken account. I'll try tomorrow to see if it sticks. Thanks, Hal
    edited January 2019
    Hal said:

Hi Hal,

Yay!  I'm glad to hear it :) 

Let us know if the update gives you any troubles today!

Thanks!

Sarah
  • HalHal Member
    edited January 2019
    Hal said:

Hi Sarah,
    So far so good. Updated successfully today. Have a good weekend.  Hal
This discussion has been closed.