How to make proper reporting for a traveling ?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited January 2019 in Reports (Windows)
I travel regularly to different places. I would like to see a report per each place  (Florida_NOV18/NY_Dec18/etx (including categories (tickets. hotels etc). If I would use tags for it, after a few years there will be too many. What else can I use for my task? 

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    That's what I do (use TAGs).  Whatever scheme you pick to differentiate your trips will have some different value that the others, so I don't see how you get around this. I'll be following this to see if others have any ideas.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Using tags is what I recommend, though I would just tag the location as transaction date already distinguishes differences. That would also help with your “too many” issue.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Thank you!  Seems to me that a tag is the only solution 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Also if your tag list gets long you can hide the ones you are no longer using for new transactions. You can also delete tags if you will not be using them for future reports. Per the Help,
    When you hide a tag you declutter your Tag List, but you can just show it again if you ever need to use it in the future.

When you permanently delete a tag, Quicken removes it from the Tag list and from the Tag field of any transactions to which it has been assigned. You lose the ability to use the tag in future reports.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

Also if your tag list gets long you can hide the ones you are no longer using for new transactions. You can also delete tags if you will not be using them for future reports. Per the Help,

When you hide a tag you declutter your Tag List, but you can just show it again if you ever need to use it in the future.

When you permanently delete a tag, Quicken removes it from the Tag list and from the Tag field of any transactions to which it has been assigned. You lose the ability to use the tag in future reports.
    Thank you!  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Tags are the best solution.  I would consider separate tags for destination and 'year' to reduce the tag-clutter -- Florida, NY, CA, 2018, 2019, etc.  You may have expenses for the 2019 trip that you paid for in 2018.  Travel/FL:2018, Hotel/NY:2017
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

this is a great addition! Thank you!  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

What I do is use a combination of the year (first!) and locale, like "2017 Turkey", "2018 Asia", etc. That way the list is sorted numerically and the most recent trips are at the bottom. Makes it easier for me to pick the right one. Just one man's method.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

Thank you!  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Alexander,
    Are these reimbursable expenses?  Will your employer repay them?  OR, are they going onto your Schedule C "Profit or Loss from Business".

I ask because there's another accounting option available if the expenses are reimbursable.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

no, they are not reimbursable. But I am curious to learn other options for the future  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

The other option is to create a Receivables, asset-type, account and post all of the expenses as transfers to that account.   THEN, when you get reimbursed, you show the reimbursement deposit into your banking account as a transfer FROM the Receivables account.

Using this technique, you can periodically reconcile the receivables account (which would normally be to $0 after the reimbursement).  Anything not yet reconciled would be still owed to you by the employer.

Also note that this doesn't have to be "employer  receivables" ... because I use the same technique for the amount that I've loaned to my brother.

Tags CAN be used to track things, in this scenario, but really aren't necessary because the expenses, and reimbursement, aren't taxable ... and thus don't need the same level of detail.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

interesting option. will try. Thank you!  
This discussion has been closed.