Year-end copy error: File NOT copied

I have a quicken data file dating back to 2008. I'm simply trying to purge out all the old data, keeping only the recent 3 years of transactions.
  • I've validated and fixed a few missing categories
  • Re-validated with no errors
  • Super validated, because, why not try something super?
  • Copied the Quicken data folder from OneDrive, to the root
  • Re-validated in the copied directory.
Each time I attempt either year end copy... to remove the old transactions, or even Copy..., I get the same error:
File Not copied
Steps to reproduce
  1. Super validate
  2. Year-end copy...
  3. I only want to keep transactions in my current data file starting with 1/1/2016
  4. Provide an archived data file name
  5. Prompted to provide my quicken file password
  6. Progress proceed
  7. Quicken flickers as it opens the data file
  8. File not copied dialog
  9. Observed quicken is now running on the newly named data file. The original data file is nowhere to be found. 
  10. Closed quicken
  11. Launched Quicken, with Run As Administrator - assuming it was a file permission issue
  12. Same problem as above
  13. Right-click, set properties
  14. Validate all users have full control over all files, including the .qdf file
  15. Same error: File not copied dialog

I've seen variations of this error for two years, with no resolution.
I see lots of super users graciously offering suggestions. Where is Quicken service on solving this problem? 

Comments

• Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This is a bug that is fixed with the latest patch for the US version. Run the Mondo patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    You did not state which version you are on.  The above release version only applies to the most recent 2018/2019 release.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • Steve LaskerSteve Lasker Member
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

You did not state which version you are on.  The above release version only applies to the most recent 2018/2019 release.

Apologies, I thought part of the clicking through, I said 2019 Property & Management
    The above patch worked
  • Steve LaskerSteve Lasker Member
    edited December 2018
    The above patch solved the problem. 
    Why doesn't check for updates include this patch? Thank you Arctic Hare for the link, and being public support for Quicken

• Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

The above patch solved the problem. 
    Why doesn't check for updates include this patch? Thank you Arctic Hare for the link, and being public support for Quicken

Check for updates won't work when the update is in staged release and you are not part of the staged release. However, even when the patch is in staged release, it is generally available as part of the Mondo patch.
  • rjbrjb Member ✭✭
    edited January 27
    Are you sure this is fixed?  I downloaded the Mondo Patch and I am still getting the File NOT copied message.
  • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    rjb said:

Are you sure this is fixed?  I downloaded the Mondo Patch and I am still getting the File NOT copied message.

Same here. I am still getting a File Not Copied error, even after applying the 16.14 Mondo patch.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • edited January 5
    rjb said:

Same!
  • edited January 5
    rjb said:

I got the same error today when I tried to do a year-end copy. This is the first time I've ever seen this. I run Quicken 2013 for Windows. Any suggestions?
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    rjb said:

You certain of your version? There has been no patches or updates to 2013 for many years.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • edited January 5
    rjb said:

I am on 2018
  • edited January 5
    rjb said:

Yes, I'm sure that I'm on Quicken 2013 for Windows. I've used Quicken since version 2 in the mid-1990s. I've had version 5, version 6, Quicken 98, Quicken 2005 and now 2013.
  • edited January 12
    rjb said:

So does anybody know if there is a limit to the size of your QDATA file on Quicken 2013? I'm wondering if that may be the issue. My QDATA is about 12 MB. Is that an issue?
  • Chuck PChuck P Member ✭✭
    I'm having this problem. Downloaded the patch. Still doesn't work.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chuck P said:
    I'm having this problem. Downloaded the patch. Still doesn't work.

Validate

Validate your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this exact procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
    - If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019 repeat the Copy process, but press and hold SHIFT and CTRL as you click File / File Operations / Copy. When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes".  Note: This may cause some data loss.
    - Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text. Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.
    - Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

This discussion has been closed.