What to do? large file (1.17 gb), YEC/archive?

First, I am on an older version of Quicken...currently 2015 (windows).  My father used quicken starting around 2004 and on his death in 2017, I took over the quicken/banking/bill pay stuff for my mom. I've been able to continue using Quicken and using the categorizations my father had used, etc.

What I am currently running into is that Quicken can be very very sluggish and the file is very large. It is 1.17 GB. Yes, GB.  The reason for that is for about 5 yrs my father attached receipts inside quicken. He did this from 2009 to 2014 at which point he stopped attaching them in quicken and just kept receipts in folders on his pc.

At first, I figured to just delete the attachments. But there is no way to mass delete them that I've found. So I would have to go to each and every transaction to delete them. So that is a no-go. Is it possible to use 7-zip to delete the Attach folder from inside the QDF without corrupting the file?

If that is not possible, then it seems like choosing to Archive is my best option? I've been trying to read about it on here, and I see that most people advise against it. But in my particular case, I feel it justified since I don't want to keep using a 1.17gb file!

So, if archiving is my best choice, aside from having 2 or 3 backups, what do I need to do to prepare? In my scanning of these threads, I see that old transactions may not be removed if the associated accounts have non-reconciled entries? So do I need to delete as many old accounts (old credit cards, etc.) as possible?

Thanks for any help.

I am considering upgrading to Q2019 too. Any improvements to the archive process between Q2015 and Q2019?

Comments

• SherlockSherlock ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited January 13
    texasniteowl I am not sure if this option is available in QWin 2015, but in Qwin 2019, you can mass delete receipt attachments when you do a File Operations --> Copy.

If you don't want attachments in the new files, just uncheck the "Include attachments".  I think this is a new feature in 2019 so maybe it would be worth upgrading and then mass deleting the attachments.  It all depends on how much effort it would take to delete them otherwise.
  • Tom HarrisTom Harris Member
    edited January 13
    Not an option in Quicken 2015.
  • splashersplasher ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13
    If you are going to do a YEC, in preparation, don't delete accounts, just set the Reconcile on all the transactions in the old (no longer used) accounts, then Quicken will remove them during the YEC.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• texasniteowltexasniteowl Member
    edited January 13

texasniteowl I am not sure if this option is available in QWin 2015, but in Qwin 2019, you can mass delete receipt attachments when you do a File Operations --> Copy.

If you don't want attachments in the new files, just uncheck the "Include attachments".  I think this is a new feature in 2019 so maybe it would be worth upgrading and then mass deleting the attachments.  It all depends on how much effort it would take to delete them otherwise.

Thanks. I did not see that in the Q2015 interface, so that might be worth the upgrade alone! I don't know exactly how many transactions have attachments...I just know that when I sorted them, he did it from 2009-2014. So I might take the plunge for 2019.
    edited January 13
    splasher said:

If you are going to do a YEC, in preparation, don't delete accounts, just set the Reconcile on all the transactions in the old (no longer used) accounts, then Quicken will remove them during the YEC.

Thanks! Will unhide them all and reconcile them all.
  • mshigginsmshiggins ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    How sluggish? And how many memorized payees do you have?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited January 14
    mshiggins said:

How sluggish? And how many memorized payees do you have?

Well, when I was using it last night, it wasn't refreshing properly? That is, i would enter a transaction and it would show that transaction twice in a row until I switched to a different account and then back again. Led to me deleting the transaction once or twice until I figured it out.  Also, slow to load, slow to backup, etc.

Memorized payee list has 167 entries.
    edited January 13
    Update...I did just purchase Q2019...I have been getting their 40% off offer, so I finally bought it. Downloading now.
    edited January 14
    OK...so I upgraded to 2019...started the File Copy and UNchecked the box for include attachments. It ignored that. It still copied attachments. I know this because it gave me an error message that on a transaction dated xx/yy/zz, the attachment could not be copied and did I want to continue copying attachments. Then, when I looked at the qdf thru 7-zip after, an Attach folder was still present.

I'm going to try to search to see if there are any reports of this problem.
  • SherlockSherlock ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14

OK...so I upgraded to 2019...started the File Copy and UNchecked the box for include attachments. It ignored that. It still copied attachments. I know this because it gave me an error message that on a transaction dated xx/yy/zz, the attachment could not be copied and did I want to continue copying attachments. Then, when I looked at the qdf thru 7-zip after, an Attach folder was still present.

I'm going to try to search to see if there are any reports of this problem.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
    edited January 16
    So, my "resolution" was that I did upgrade to Qwin 2019 and use File Ops > Copy. As pictured by user SimonSezSo above, Qwin 2019 has a checkbox for including attachments in copies. So I unchecked that to get a file with attachments removed. My file size went down to 32mb!  Now, I did have issues (had to run the copy command twice...actually 3 times in total) to get it to work (for which I have a different post). But in the end, I do now have a file with attachments removed. And Quicken is much faster to open, close, and backup than before.
This discussion has been closed.