Add Ability to Include or Exclude Accounts on Budgets in Quicken for Mac (262 Legacy Votes)

2»

Comments

• HQHQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2

You can now VOTE for the feature to Include or Exclude Transfers on Budgets, here: 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-include-or-exclude-transfers-on-b...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of each one, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

YES, please add transfers capability to budgets (including related reports).  I've been stressing over how to do that very thing for my monthly mortgage interest and principal payments linked to a loan account.  Since a home mortgage is ofter the biggest/BASIC monthly expense to plan for and track in personal finance software.  
  • Budget1234Budget1234 Member
    edited March 2018
    Could you comment on whether Quicken is planning to implement an update that will allow including/excluding transfers in the Budget? As one poster said: "...it's not a budget if I can't track money going to my mortgage, saving for my kids colleges, saving for my retirement."

The following is where users have commented extensively, and it is highly voted for feature. 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-include-or-exclude-transfers-on-b...

The reason I am posting is because we have not heard anything from Quicken about this matter, and some information would be nice. 

I, for one, will purchase Quicken for Mac 2018 IMMEDIATELY if this feature is added. 
  • Tim AndrenTim Andren Member
    edited March 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled budget transfers.

We REALLY need to be able to budget transfers for budgeting savings and payment of debt such as credit cards.  This was available in Quicken for Windows and is a serious shortcoming for Mac.  Please get this on your roadmap for your customers.
  • StacklbStacklb Member ✭✭
    edited October 15

I voted for this feature....see it as a big major missing feature....I have accounts for my wife and I (primary checking, savings, Christmas account) + "Virtual Wallet" accounts for my kids -- so there are at least 8 accounts that I honestly don't care about for my budget.  I need to manage the transactions for these accounts and reconcile, etc. but the budget should be based on the one Primary Checking account which is our spend account.  Ideally -- all functions should have that feature -- budget, reports, calendar -- have the ability to select/de-select accounts.  Along with that -- the ability to select/de-select transfers HAS to be added too.  Just too much double counting.  Going to have to stick with YNAB until these are in place.....Budgets has very good promise but just not quite there.  Thanks much.

Could not agree more.  There is cash flow/basic account management and then there is budgeting.  I am trying Quicken again after many years hiatus (once I switched to a mac several years ago it became useless).  [removed] was fantastic for budgeting but I found it not helpful at all for cash flow, so had to abandon it.  I wish Quicken for Mac would do both!!!  I would love to have my own budget for my personal spending (my own account) separate from our family's joint account for example, but Quicken is not even providing the basic budgeting a household needs.
    edited June 2018

As best I can tell the only way to fix this is to use  Quicken only for the account you want have in your budget.  You would have to deselect account that don't go into the budget but then you would not have access to them in Quicken.  The ability to select which accounts feed the budget is critical.

Agree.  I don't want to have to only use Quicken for accounts that are part of my budget though!!!  I have so many other accounts to manage that are irrelevant to my budget except to the extent that I put money into them (e.g., allowance and payments for babysitting into kids' checking accounts) -- I really want to use Quicken to manage all of them, and then to use additional functions like budgeting on an account-by-account basis.  This seems so basic.
    edited April 2018

Keith, I totally agree with you and think I have found the solution.  To make sure only the accounts you want to show on the budget are correct, go to "Accounts" in the tool bar at the top of your screen and select "hide and show accounts".  In the reports column on the far right, check all the accounts you DO NOT WANT TO SHOW UP ON YOUR BUDGET.  If you want an account to show up, make sure it is "unchecked" in the reports Column.  Make sure you see the note at the bottom left of this Hide and Show Accounts window which says:  "Transactions will not download to accounts that have been hidden in Lists (the column to the right of reports).  If you want an account to download from your bank, you must make sure it is not checked in Lists.  I hope this helps.

Crashmeister, I am wondering if this is a transfer issue at this point though?  I.e., when you say that "to shows 0 paid in the budget," do you mean you wanted to see in your budget that you paid X to your Roth account and are not seeing it (instead seeing 0?) I am wondering if the reason Helen's work-around is not working is because even though the Roth acct is hidden in reports, the fact that you marked the payment to the Roth as a transfer is somehow overriding that?  I am considering abandoning the use of transfers altogether to avoid the double-counting problem, and there is clearly a link between the transfer issue and the "accounts included in the budget issue" -- just wondering if playing around with how you record the transfer to the Roth might help with the latter issue.  (I myself have not yet set up a budget but am reading all of these forum entries to try to set up my accounts and record transfers in such a way as to make the budget work.)
  • Helen MillsHelen Mills Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

I voted for this feature....see it as a big major missing feature....I have accounts for my wife and I (primary checking, savings, Christmas account) + "Virtual Wallet" accounts for my kids -- so there are at least 8 accounts that I honestly don't care about for my budget.  I need to manage the transactions for these accounts and reconcile, etc. but the budget should be based on the one Primary Checking account which is our spend account.  Ideally -- all functions should have that feature -- budget, reports, calendar -- have the ability to select/de-select accounts.  Along with that -- the ability to select/de-select transfers HAS to be added too.  Just too much double counting.  Going to have to stick with YNAB until these are in place.....Budgets has very good promise but just not quite there.  Thanks much.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but here's what I do.  I have a checking account and a credit card set up in my quicken file and I have a budget.  If you want your budget to only look at a certain account, go to "accounts" menu and select "hide and show accounts".  In the Reports column on the far right check all the accounts you DO NOT WANT TO SHOW UP ON YOUR BUDGET.  If you want an account to show up, make sure it is "unchecked" in the Reports column.  Also be sure you notice the note at the bottom left of this Hide and Show Accounts window which says:  Transactions will not download to accounts that have been hidden in Lists.  Be sure all the accounts you want to be able to download from ARE NOT CHECKED in the lists column.  Hope this helps.
  • I voted for this feature....see it as a big major missing feature....I have accounts for my wife and I (primary checking, savings, Christmas account) + "Virtual Wallet" accounts for my kids -- so there are at least 8 accounts that I honestly don't care about for my budget.  I need to manage the transactions for these accounts and reconcile, etc. but the budget should be based on the one Primary Checking account which is our spend account.  Ideally -- all functions should have that feature -- budget, reports, calendar -- have the ability to select/de-select accounts.  Along with that -- the ability to select/de-select transfers HAS to be added too.  Just too much double counting.  Going to have to stick with YNAB until these are in place.....Budgets has very good promise but just not quite there.  Thanks much.

You're misunderstanding.

When I pay my mortgage, for example, part of the amount goes to the loan interest and part goes to the loan principal.

The loan interest is a category in Quicken, while the loan principal is a transfer to the Quicken loan account, which in turn reduces the balance of the loan amount.

The problem with Quicken Mac is you CAN'T account for transfers in the Budget (and some reports, although there is a workaround for that).  The out of checking cancels the into loan account transactions, netting zero. 

Therefore, users can't include the principal payment of the loan in the budget.  Which is ridiculous and stupid, because it's part of my cash flow and my monthly budget.

THAT'S WHAT'S MISSING!!!!

There are other instances too...such as cash transfers out of investment accounts (such as retirement withdrawals from an IRA account) to a checking account.

Quicken Mac won't include that transfer either in the Budget section...therefore it doesn't count it as income...which of course destroys my budget.  

The user should be able to select WHICH accounts can be used in the budget...and whether transfers should be included in the budget.

This has been going on since Quicken Mac 2015...and really is the biggest stumbling block from getting me to switch from Quicken Windows full time. 
    edited April 2018

Helen your work around totally worked for the issue of limiting your budget to certain accounts.  The transfer issue is separate (though related it seems to me).  I wanted to include my savings account in the budget, but found that I could not track the daily transfers to my checking account (bank of america's keep the change program) -- if marked as transfers (so as to link them to the savings account), the transactions just don't show up in the budget as expenses at all as far as I can tell.  So there is no way to account for or track in the budget these amounts that will exit my checking account daily, and that is what the budget is supposed to do -- I want to be able to see how much I am paying to my savings each month through this program.  (Related I think -- if I included the savings account in my budget,the transfers showed up as income -- in this case, quicken marked them as income into my savings account.  This is not what I wanted obviously -- it double counted the income (first when the money came into my checking in my paycheck, and then apparently when it was transferred into my checking).)  I don't know how it worked in old quicken (it has been too long) but this clearly does not work.

My work around for this was as others have suggested --  I am not including the savings account in my budget and am not using transfers (to it or any other non-budget account) to put money into it.  I created a category "transfer out: savings" to track what goes out of my checking account into savings.  These of course will not show up in the savings account register because they are not transfers, but I download transactions frequently from my bank so they will show up there soon enough, and this way I can see in my budget how much money is moving from checking to savings every month.  Basically the two accounts are not linked at all.

Something like this would seem to work for mortgages too.  In addition to a category for interest, add one for principal and input the payment into your checking register that way (no transfer) and take the mortgage account off your budget.  Doing it this way will not decrease the amount in the mortgage account -- that needs to be tracked/managed separately, which is a pain -- but at least it seems like your budget will reflect the mortgage principal payments.      
  • [removed]

[removed] 

One that prevents me from using Quicken Mac full time and finally ditching my Quicken Windows and virtual machine. 
  • [removed]

Quicken NEVER reveals plans for any anticipated updates of upgrades.

[removed]

I have a workaround (which I hate, but works) for the reports part.  The workaround is to include the Transfer column in registers...and then categorize as you would AND have a transfer.  In Quicken Mac, you can actually have a separate category for a transfer transaction.

Then use New Reports instead of the stock reports with Quicken Mac.  You'll get what you need, in almost all cases.

But this doesn't work for Budgets.  You can't pick and choose which accounts to include...so you can't budget for simple things like your mortgage principal paid to a loan account and retirement income from investment accounts.  

[removed] 
  • Joe EvansJoe Evans Member
    edited October 2018

Without this feature - the budget reporting is not at all useful for me because at least four or five major budget items are affected and the yearly and reporting values are thrown off.  Back to excel :( 

I agree 100%.  Budget is almost useless without this feature. 
  • Joe EvansJoe Evans Member
    edited April 2018

Amen.  Could not agree with your comment more.   I have advocated for this for a long time.   You should be able to select the account(s) you want to include in a budget, usually a primary checking account.  I have accounts for aging parents that I manage and accounts for children that I am also on.   I don't want these in my personal household budget and should be able to exclude them.   
  • R SR S Member
    edited October 15

[removed]

Using Quicken Deluxe 2018 for Mac and experiencing same problem.  Reported this back in March 2018 and STILL not fixed.  Chatted again today to report this issue is continuing.  Will NOT buy future Quicken products nor believe any "improvement" claims they make if they can't fix issues that have existed in previous versions and won't fix.  Tired of "excuses" and false promises.  Come on Quicken people:  Fix the issue so income from "investment accounts" can be included as income when doing a Budget.  If not clear on the problem, CONTACT ME.  I can provide a picture.
  • Wendell SmithWendell Smith Member ✭✭
    edited October 15

[removed]

I just saw that Quicken 2019 was just released. Any word on if this deficiency is eliminated?
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15

[removed]

Wendell, the "release" of Quicken 2019 is a non-event. Since Quicken switched to a subscription last year, users get updates throughout the year, as new features or fixes are ready. they don't hold back a bunch of big changes for a new annual release, as used to be the case. So the change from Quicken 2018 to Quicken 2019 was only a marketing name change; it happened to occur with a minor bug-fix release. 

To answer the specific question, no, there has been no change yet in budget functionality. But changes are expected at some point during this Quicken 2019 product year. The Mac product manager said last year that they were waiting for Quicken's mobile/cloud team to re-write a chunk of code required by the separation from former parent Intuit. That project was completed a few months ago -- which in turn opens the door for the Mac team to undertake the work they need to do to add new and widely-requested functionality to budgets in the Mac product. There are several key needs: the ability to include income from investment accounts and categories, the ability to select which accounts to include/exclude in a budget, and the ability to selectively include/exclude transfers between accounts (e.g loan payments, moving money into savings. We have no indication of when these features are coming, but we do have acknowledgement and indication they are coming.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Rory RussellRory Russell Member
    edited January 2

You can now VOTE for the feature to Include or Exclude Transfers on Budgets, here: 

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Exactly, how can they not address this issue it makes the budget a joke, without including my mortgage principal and credit card payments, the budget is way off
  • QMac UserQMac User Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018

Exactly!!!
  • R SR S Member
    edited October 15

[removed]

Thanks for the 2019 vs 2018 version update info.  Sadly, Quicken rep told me over a year ago they would look into this Budget feature issue yet they are YET to do anything about it.  [removed - off-topic]
    edited December 2018

All these proposed work-arounds are asinine. Quicken needs to fix budgeting. 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and counting. How much longer do they need ?

@RS, just so you know, it's generally not allowed in this forum (which is paid for by Quicken) to discuss the merits of competing products.

It's also sort of interesting how different users perceive the same events so differently. There have been several posts recently which praised the Quicken staff for more useful updates and moves in the right direction since the separation from Intuit, and above you're writing basically the exact opposite. As always, it comes down to what features of Quicken different people use, and what's missing for their needs. No one is right or wrong; just experiencing things differently.

FYI about the budget functionality: the product manager last year acknowledged the need to allow transfers for budgets. He explained that they couldn't work on it right away, because the way budgets are stored in the cloud for the mobile app needed to be completely re-engineered following the separation from Intuit, and he didn't want to make major changes to the Quicken Mac code only to have to redo it once the mobile app team finished their work. So, he explained, changes to budgets in Quicken Mac would wait until after the mobile app revamp was complete. And that happened in August. So the way is clear for the Mac code to be updated -- which he indicated entailed some significant changes. We don't know when there will be an update for the budget features -- when did the work begin, how long it will takes -- but all indications point to this shortcoming getting fixed sometime in the next few months.
    edited January 2

All these proposed work-arounds are asinine. Quicken needs to fix budgeting. 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and counting. How much longer do they need ?

I certainly hope that is the case.  Not being able to run a budget report for any time period I want to choose is very frustrating since I can't always be at my computer to run it the last day of a given month.
    edited October 2018

Helen, you don't need to be at your computer to run a budget report on exactly the last day of the month. You can run it a day or a week or a month later, and the numbers for the preceding month won't have changed.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're finding a source of frustration. Your budget is constructed month by month, not day by day, so I'm not sure how you'd expect Quicken to be able to give you a meaningful mid-month budget report. Many of your expenses likely occur once a month, like the cable bill, the cell phone bill, the electric/gas/utilities bill(s), the rent/mortgage payment, etc. How would you expect Quicken to be able to show you meaningfully how you're doing versus your budget part-way through the month when some of those have been paid and others haven't yet been paid?
  • R SR S Member
    edited December 2018
    Jacobs, wish to "thank you" for your very informative and helpful response to not only concerns about Quicken 2018 vs Quicken 2019 upgrades and improvements but especially for clarifying better what's been going on with Quicken since severance from Intuit and their supposed intent to get the badly needed changes made to the Budget features so income/expenses can be better managed not only via Investments but from "accounts" in general.  If all accounts one uses can be selected or deselected to fit one's particular needs it will be a GREAT help in making a budget more accurate as well as easier to use.  Thank you for your time and effort to bring us all up to speed.  That restores my faith that Quicken does care about its consumers and our input.  A nice Christmas relief for sure.  :))
    edited December 2018
    R S said:

Jacobs, wish to "thank you" for your very informative and helpful response to not only concerns about Quicken 2018 vs Quicken 2019 upgrades and improvements but especially for clarifying better what's been going on with Quicken since severance from Intuit and their supposed intent to get the badly needed changes made to the Budget features so income/expenses can be better managed not only via Investments but from "accounts" in general.  If all accounts one uses can be selected or deselected to fit one's particular needs it will be a GREAT help in making a budget more accurate as well as easier to use.  Thank you for your time and effort to bring us all up to speed.  That restores my faith that Quicken does care about its consumers and our input.  A nice Christmas relief for sure.  :))

Well, I wish we could count on finding this under the tree in a few weeks, but I'd guess we'll have to wait until sometime into 2019 to see this enhancement. ;)
  • slhcrnpslhcrnp Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    R S said:

Thank you for your informative updates.  I am happy with QFM now after giving it this year to work with and though I previously used QFW and really miss all of that functionality I SO prefer MAC / Apple products and this is now my new normal.  
    edited January 14
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Moving to merge.

I believe I have a solution to exclude accounts on budgets. 1)  Open Quicken  2)  In menu bar click on accounts and select "hide or show accounts".  3)To keep an account from showing up in a report or budget put a check in the box in the appropriate row to hide that account from the budget.  It has worked for me...hope it works for you.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: List of Requests Related to Budgets.