Restored "Backup" file has current data.

2»

Comments

• SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6
    Snowman said:

I tried another potential solution this morning.  I renamed my active file, downloaded and installed the Mondo R17.6 patch, closed Quicken and reopened Quicken,  restored my backup file from 10/14/2018, closed Quicken and then restarted Quicken.   All of the transactions are there with the following anomalies.

Prior to the restore all accounts had been reconciled thru December.  After the restoration all of the transactions are there BUT the reconciliations only go to September and early October in other words prior to 10/14/2018. 

But wait there is more.  Upon closer inspection I noticed the following:

My main M & T checking account is the only account (out of 43 accounts) showing all of the transactions, my other bank accounts (including M&T accounts) and credit card accounts only show transactions prior to 10/14/2018 as it should.

So might I assume that my main M & T checking account is somehow corrupted even though validate and super validate show no issues.  I say this because it was my main checking account that "lost" one transaction from 10/13/2018 and that happened at some point between the November 2018 and December 2018 reconciliation of the main checking account because it did not come to light until my December 2018 reconciliation was off, the opening balance was off and therefore the whole reconciliation was toast.  Reentering the mission transaction restored the balance but I lost the category that the transaction had bee assigned to thus my attempts to restore a backup to find out the correct category that the deposit was to be  assigned to.

If so how to I fix it so that it doesn't cause havoc with my other accounts that the main checking account has had transfers etc. with?

Well after doing all of this I repeated the restore from a different backup file and I still have the same issue, the M & T checking account still shows ALL of the transactions while the other accounts only show up to the date of the restored backup file.  This time the balance for the M & T Checking account was changed to a completely wrong balance.  The balance was correct before I restored the file.

This is just plain weird and I am out of thoughts as to what to do next.  I will go back to my original active file for now.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6
    Snowman said:

I tried another potential solution this morning.  I renamed my active file, downloaded and installed the Mondo R17.6 patch, closed Quicken and reopened Quicken,  restored my backup file from 10/14/2018, closed Quicken and then restarted Quicken.   All of the transactions are there with the following anomalies.

Prior to the restore all accounts had been reconciled thru December.  After the restoration all of the transactions are there BUT the reconciliations only go to September and early October in other words prior to 10/14/2018. 

My main M & T checking account is the only account (out of 43 accounts) showing all of the transactions, my other bank accounts (including M&T accounts) and credit card accounts only show transactions prior to 10/14/2018 as it should.

So might I assume that my main M & T checking account is somehow corrupted even though validate and super validate show no issues.  I say this because it was my main checking account that "lost" one transaction from 10/13/2018 and that happened at some point between the November 2018 and December 2018 reconciliation of the main checking account because it did not come to light until my December 2018 reconciliation was off, the opening balance was off and therefore the whole reconciliation was toast.  Reentering the mission transaction restored the balance but I lost the category that the transaction had bee assigned to thus my attempts to restore a backup to find out the correct category that the deposit was to be  assigned to.

If so how to I fix it so that it doesn't cause havoc with my other accounts that the main checking account has had transfers etc. with?

Real stab in the dark here, do these transactions show as cleared (i.e. Downloaded) or could they be future scheduled transactions?

It is a checking account, so it is the type of account that you might have scheduled transactions setup.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited January 7
    Snowman said:

When I moved the accounts I had to confirm each and every reconciled transaction one at a time (2,350 times).  There were also scheduled transactions that came thru uncleared as they should have as well as some downloaded transactions.

Before I initiated the cut and paste I disabled online services, renamed the account by adding "OLD" to the account name.  I then created a new account with the old account name and then did the cut and past.  I then setup online services and there were about 12 transactions that were downloaded a second time but I just deleted those and the final balance was what it was before.

Question:  If I create the new account with a new name (not the original name) will Quicken be able to adjust the transfers on the fly or will that not work.  The reason I ask is I had an issue a while back when creating a new sub category and I misspelled the category name.  When I tried to edit it everything with that category went haywire.  I deleted the subcategory name and tried again (spelled correctly this time) but it still did not work.  I had to create the sub category using a name not previously used before.  I was just wondering if something similar could be going on here....
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7
    Snowman said:

From C. D. Bales:

"When I moved the accounts I had to confirm each and every reconciled transaction one at a time (2,350 times)"

When you encounter that situation, try this:

- Create a new temporary account

- Move all the unreconciled transactions to that new temporary account

- Select all the remaining (the reconciled) transactions (as you would select multiple files in Windows Explorer)

- Right-click a selected transaction

- Hover your cursor on "Reconcile status" and select "Not reconciled"

- Move all the now un-reconciled transactions to the new account

- Reverse the above un-reconcile process, manually marking all the new account transactions as reconciled

- Move the transactions in the temporary account to the new account

- Delete the temporary account
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited January 7
    Snowman said:

Nice trick.
    edited January 8
    Snowman said:

I will give that a try when I get back on Friday.  My only access to the computer in question is thru remote desktop until then.
    edited January 12
    Snowman said:

OK, I am now seeing this strange behavior.  I successfully copied the old M &T Checking to a new M & T Checking by using a temp M & T Checking.  Now by using save a copy as and saved it to FishNew2019.QDF.  I then deleted the old active file Fisher2019.QDF.  This is where the fun begins.

I tried to restore a backup file from 10-13-2018.  One time I would get the message "Would you like to overwrite the current file (FishNew2019.QDF) with the backup Fisher2019-2018-10.13.  When I responded YES it did not overwrite the file FishNew2019.QDF.  Instead it recreated the Fisher2019.QDF file and it was as before the M & T Checking had all of the transactions all of the other accounts did not.

Now when I repeat that action I do not get the Overwrite the current file, it just restores the file to Fisher2019.QDF without asking and the restored Fisher2019.qdf is still wrong.

Now my backup files are on an NAS drive and to make sure that this is not the issue I copied the backup file to the desktop and restored and the M & T Checking still has all of the transactions while the other accounts do not.

There is something very wrong here but I haven't a clue where to go now and I am getting very concerned that the wheels are coming off of the wagon...
    edited January 14
    I have come to the conclusion that there is something going wrong in the restore process.  There is no way to restore a file to a new file name.  I have tried multiple times, even deleting the original file (before restoring) and then trying to restore to a new file but Quicken only does it to the original file name.

I have also noticed that the option to "overwrite" the current file is not consistent.  Sometimes I get the option (but it does not overwrite the current file it creates the original file) to overwrite but more often than not it does not appear.

I have made every attempt to resolve this but nothing works.  There is BIG BUG here that needs to be looked into ASAP.  If backups do not work properly then Houston, we have a problem...
    edited January 14
    Reapplying the mondo patch should have done it, but have you tried a QCleanUI (QCleanUI - Clean Uninstall ) uninstall and then a fresh install?

edited January 14
    splasher said:

Reapplying the mondo patch should have done it, but have you tried a QCleanUI (QCleanUI - Clean Uninstall ) uninstall and then a fresh install?

No, I haven't done that in a long time.  Is there a list of steps to accomplish this?  When doing the clean install I will need to remove everything Quicken (but not Intuit) as I have Quickbooks on the same computer.

If I did a new install on another computer that has never had Quicken on it (using the mondo patch would that accomplish the same thing?  I am almost 99% sure that the Mondo patch will not work but I will try anything at this point.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    Snowman said:

I have come to the conclusion that there is something going wrong in the restore process.  There is no way to restore a file to a new file name.  I have tried multiple times, even deleting the original file (before restoring) and then trying to restore to a new file but Quicken only does it to the original file name.

I have also noticed that the option to "overwrite" the current file is not consistent.  Sometimes I get the option (but it does not overwrite the current file it creates the original file) to overwrite but more often than not it does not appear.

I have made every attempt to resolve this but nothing works.  There is BIG BUG here that needs to be looked into ASAP.  If backups do not work properly then Houston, we have a problem...

There is nothing special about the restore process. It's a file renaming and opening activity. You can manually restore by renaming the backup to a regular qdf and opening it.
    edited January 14
    splasher said:

The instructions for QCleanUI are at the link provided.  Doing an install on a "virgin" computer should have the same effect.  You only need to run the mondo patch if Quicken doesn't update completely as the last step of the install.  Use Windows Explorer to copy the file to the new computer.

edited January 14
    splasher said:

I will go the clean install on a "virgin" computer.  I will copy the data file on a USB drive and transfer it that way.  Fingers crossed....
    edited January 15
    Ok, this is what is happening.  When I restore from the backup file from 10-15-2018 it restores showing all of the scheduled payments up to 2-14-2019.

I then went back and restored a file from 8-1-2018 and is should have restored the file and added the scheduled transactions for the next 30 days or until  8-31-2018 BUT it restored all of the scheduled transactions to date or 2-14-2019.  None of this makes sense but wait the lighbulb just went off!.

If the file setting is to add scheduled transactions for the next 30 days it should not be adding days after the restore date.  The only thing I can make sense of this is that it does not used the restore date of the file (which in my opinion is should for consistency's sake) in making this determination but it is using the system date. 

I confirmed this by setting the system date to 10-31-2018 and restoring the 10-15-2018 file.  That restored file had the M&T checking transactions AND the next 30 days of scheduled transactions (11-30-2019).

I guess now we know.  It would be comforting if we could get Quicken to weigh in here and clarify what is happening and that in fact this is normal behavior.

edited January 14
    Snowman said:

Ok, this is what is happening.  When I restore from the backup file from 10-15-2018 it restores showing all of the scheduled payments up to 2-14-2019.

I then went back and restored a file from 8-1-2018 and is should have restored the file and added the scheduled transactions for the next 30 days or until  8-31-2018 BUT it restored all of the scheduled transactions to date or 2-14-2019.  None of this makes sense but wait the lighbulb just went off!.

If the file setting is to add scheduled transactions for the next 30 days it should not be adding days after the restore date.  The only thing I can make sense of this is that it does not used the restore date of the file (which in my opinion is should for consistency's sake) in making this determination but it is using the system date. 

I confirmed this by setting the system date to 10-31-2018 and restoring the 10-15-2018 file.  That restored file had the M&T checking transactions AND the next 30 days of scheduled transactions (11-30-2019).

I guess now we know.  It would be comforting if we could get Quicken to weigh in here and clarify what is happening and that in fact this is normal behavior.

I thought we covered that possibility back here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/restored-backup-file-has-current-data?topic-repl...

Glad you figured it out.

edited January 14
    Snowman said:

From C. D. Bales:

"When I restore from the backup file from 10-15-2018 it restores showing all of the scheduled payments up to 2-14-2019".

Exactly as it should.

"If the file setting is to add scheduled transactions for the next 30 days it should not be adding days after the restore date".

It appears to me that you do not understand what a restore should do. And/or, perhsps, how Quicken treats Reminders.

All the data in a restored file is the "data" as it existed when the file was backed up - including the Bill & Income Reminders list.

Once a Quicken file is restored, it is opened as if you had just opened any other Quicken file.

[Indeed: you can also "restore" a backup by changing its extension from .QDF-backup, to .QDF; then "opening" (rather than restoring) that file in Quicken. Both methods intend to, and do, produce the same results: the "restored" file is opened just as any other .QDF file would be opened ... no matter what the Date Modified of that file is.]

Your Bill & Income Reminders list is restored just as it was on the date/time you backed the file up. But, Reminders are always compared to the current date, as they should be.

Think about it: today, you restore a 4 week old file; in that file is a Reminder that was due 3 weeks ago. Apparently you think that the 3 week overdue reminder should not be treated as due now, despite the fact that it is due now. Why do you think that? And how, then, would Quicken determine when that 3 week old overdue Reminder should actually be due?

I see no Quicken problem in your complaint.
    edited January 15
    Snowman said:

It is what it is but I respectfully disagree.  A backup file should be a "photograph" of the file it is backing up.  Nothing should be added to it.

If I backup an Access database file or a word processing document I do not want it to "add" stuff to the backup, I want to see the file exactly as it was when I backed it up.

Now to your scenario I have no issue with it IF it were an option given to the user to add the transactions from the current date or not.  The Help file says you have the option to "overwrite" the current file it says nothing of then adding transactions back in. Overwrite means overwrite the file with the backup file as it was on the date the file was backed up not adding all of the reminders back in.   It may be semantics but words mean something.

Perhaps if this were added to the help file:  NOTE:  If you have reminders turned on when you restore or overwrite a file they will be added again when the file is restored.

If I turned the reminders off before restoring the file what would happen?
    edited January 15
    Snowman said:

If I turned the reminders off before restoring the file what would happen?
    Nothing would change in what is happening.  The reminder on/off setting is in the file, not a global setting like "last file used".  Restoring a backup is no different than not using/updating Quicken for a couple of months and re-starting using it.  The reminder(s) that you have setup will fire off and populate the registers.

You are trying to treat the reminders as actual manually or downloaded transactions, they aren't, they are reminders entered into the register based on rules that you set up.

To get your desired effect, you would have to restore every backup you make immediately after doing the backup, disable the reminders and re-backup it up.

This same issue exists in the year end copy archives that user create.  If/when they open the archive, any reminders in it will fire off and populate the registers.

edited January 15
    Snowman said:

So if I am understanding correctly if I turn off the reminders then backup, the backup will not do as it is doing now?  I have never used year end copy so this is the first I have run across this.  Thanks by the way for you assistance in getting through this.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    Snowman said:

What perplexes me in all of this is how @Snowman could not discern a scheduled reminder transaction from a real transaction in the account register. Unless the reminders are all set to automatically add and clear, the reminders should readily stand out from a real transaction based on the way they are displayed in the register.
    edited January 15
    Snowman said:

So if I am understanding correctly if I turn off the reminders then backup, the backup will not do as it is doing now?
    The reminders would also have to NOT be setup to auto enter.

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    Snowman said:

There is an open product suggestion to prompt the user at Restore time whether to allow reminders to be triggered. So far, the suggestion has not been accepted.

A suggested prompt might look like "Restoring this backup will cause 123 scheduled reminders to be entered. Do you want them to be entered? [Y/N]"
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win7 Pro & Win10 Pro.