Transaction not showing in reconcile

DDMDDM Member
Hi --

Today I had a reconcile problem with Quicken Mac 2017 Version 4.6.8 (Build 46.19304.100). Been using Quicken Mac for many years and I've never had any reconcile issues in the past.

The problem is that one deposit transaction would not show up in the reconcile window. I entered Statement ending date and balance in the "Use Statement balance" fields and clicked "Next" but the transaction was not there. I started over several times and got the same result. The transaction DID appear in the list of unreconciled transactions that displays before clicking the "Next" button, but not in the final window (where you can click the "Clr" box for each transaction).

The transaction in question was manually entered on 1-24-18 and then matched via the "Update All Online Accounts" (transaction downloads) function on 1-25-18. The date that I entered matches the date that the transaction posted to the real-world bank account. The statement beginning and ending dates are the 1st and 31st of January, respectively.

Oddly, the "Show Details" window for the transaction says "Appears on your statement as BKOFAMERICA MOBILE 02/26 xxxxxx on 2/26/2018," and then under that, "Entered 1/24/2018" and "Posted 2/26/2018."

I got around the issue by reconciling both January and February statements at the same time, i.e., entering the starting balance of the January statement and the ending balance of the February statement. The transaction then appeared in the reconcile window where I could clear it, but I don't understand why it wouldn't display when entering the January opening/closing dates. I suspect it has something to do with Quicken's transaction matching function, but the real-world posting date was a week before the January statement closing date so unless it matched it to the wrong transaction, I don't understand why it wouldn't show within the January reconcile dates.

Anyone have any insights into why Quicken set the match date to 2/26? Is there some way to"fix" the match dates when they get out of whack like this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'm not sure what's going on here. When I've encountered transactions that don't show it's usually because the transaction date falls outside the window, even though it cleared. So I just change the date to make it fall in the window.

One option to work around this if it happens again... just mark it cleared in the register before you start reconciling.
  • DDMDDM Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for the reply, RickO. The transaction was marked cleared before reconciling, and dated 1-24-18, well within the reconcile time frame. Despite this, it would not show in the final reconcile window, presumably because Quicken had somehow matched (or "rematched"?) it to a transaction that posted to the account on 2/26, which was after the statement closing date.

I say "rematched" because the transaction was, I assume, matched to the correct transaction on 1-25 when I ran the download/update function, which I run every day.

The only thing I can think might have happened is, maybe for some reason Quicken didn't actually match the transaction on 1-25, and maybe I manually checked the "Clr" box, although I don't recall doing that. Then when Quicken saw the deposit on 2-26, which was for the same amount, it matched the 1-24 transaction to it.

Assuming that's what happened, is there some way could I have fixed the mismatched transaction? Maybe by deleting and re-entering it? Or would that cause Quicken to eventually mismatch it to the next deposit with the same amount?
    edited March 2018
    DDM said:

Thanks for the reply, RickO. The transaction was marked cleared before reconciling, and dated 1-24-18, well within the reconcile time frame. Despite this, it would not show in the final reconcile window, presumably because Quicken had somehow matched (or "rematched"?) it to a transaction that posted to the account on 2/26, which was after the statement closing date.

I say "rematched" because the transaction was, I assume, matched to the correct transaction on 1-25 when I ran the download/update function, which I run every day.

The only thing I can think might have happened is, maybe for some reason Quicken didn't actually match the transaction on 1-25, and maybe I manually checked the "Clr" box, although I don't recall doing that. Then when Quicken saw the deposit on 2-26, which was for the same amount, it matched the 1-24 transaction to it.

Assuming that's what happened, is there some way could I have fixed the mismatched transaction? Maybe by deleting and re-entering it? Or would that cause Quicken to eventually mismatch it to the next deposit with the same amount?

You can right-click on a transaction and select Reject Automatic Transaction Match.
  • DDMDDM Member
    edited March 2018
    DDM said:

Will that prevent Quicken from rematching the transaction on subsequent downloads/updates?
    edited March 2018
    DDM said:

It should for that same transaction. Don't know for similar transactions in the future.
  • DDMDDM Member
    edited March 2018
    DDM said:

Thanks again. I’m gonna leave this transaction alone since it’s reconciled but I will try that if this ever happens again.
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have a question: the date column you speak of: how does it display in the header? "Date" or "Entered?"
  • DDMDDM Member
    edited March 2018

I have a question: the date column you speak of: how does it display in the header? "Date" or "Entered?"

John, not sure what you're asking since I didn't mention a date column, but here's a snapshot of the transaction that wouldn't display in the Jan '18 reconcile window, with the "Details" pane displayed. Is the answer here?
    edited March 2018

Thanks, DDM. Your screenshot helps. Notice how you have three important dates here: date entered (1/24), date of transaction (same 1/24), and the date posted (2/28). That is a pretty long time between the date and posting.

There is a preference under Connected Services about using the Posted date for downloaded transactions. Check that. I question if your reconcile was using the Posted date of 2/28 and that is why it wouldn't show up in Reconcile when using the prior month date range.

John

• DDMDDM Member
    edited March 2018

Hi John. I agree that Quicken was apparently using the posted date of the mismatched transaction for reconciling, even though I don't have the "Use posted date for matched transactions" box checked.

The primary question is why it mismatched the transaction entered on 1-24 to the transaction dated 2-26 in the first place. I run the update/download function every day (or two at most), which automatically checks the "Clr" box for all posted transactions. I can't swear to it but I think that the 1-24 transaction was matched to the correct downloaded transaction, which posted to the real bank account on 1-24, when I ran the update/download function on 1-25, which means Quickent must have "rematched" it on or after 2-26 to the wrong transaction somehow. I don't really know if that's possible, though. If not then I must have done something or other to prevent Quicken from matching it to the correct transaction.

On another note, and just so you know, your redacted Quicken ID was visible in the "New Comment" email that the Getsatistaction site sent out to me. Did you happen to notice if the info that I redacted in my picture was visible in the email you got for this thread?
    edited March 2018

Without pouring through your logs, you probably will never know why that transaction has a later post date. But, it probably doesn't matter at this point as you figured out what is going on.

I reposted my screenshot, so that is why you saw the original version. I was not particularly worried if people see my email address, but I redacted it because I know of all the fuss others would create when they saw it. I guess it is good they worry about me :-)
  • DDMDDM Member
    edited March 2018

Thanks for letting me know about the screen shot, John. I only mentioned it because I got concerned that mine might have gotten "unredacted" somehow.

Yes I'll probably never know what happened, but where are these "logs" you mention?
    edited March 2018

The logs can be accessed via menu Help > Show Logs in Finder.
  • DDMDDM Member
    edited March 2018

Thanks, I'll poke around and see if I can learn anything.
    edited March 2018

Before you do that, you might wish to select the transaction and shift+command+i to bring up the transaction inspector. That should give you key elements without pouring through and deciphering the log transactions. Here is a recent credit card transaction to give you an idea:

• DDMDDM Member
    edited March 2018

Yeah I had looked at that before but didn't glean any clues from it. Just shows it was mismatched to another transaction that posted to my real bank account on Feb 26, and that it was modified on Mar 3 (when I reconciled it I'm guessing?). Here's a snap of it if you want to see it.

I'm guessing the logs probably won't shed any light on things either, but I've never looked through them before so not sure what additional info they may contain.
  • flyingdcflyingdc Member
    edited March 2018
    I have the same issue... I usually delete and put back in then it shows up in reconcile... this has been an ongoing problem in all versions
  • MattMatt Member
    edited January 6
    When I've encountered this problem, it's been because the posting date of the transaction is somehow outside the windows of the reconcile date.  I've been able to resolve the missing transaction by changing the posting date of the transaction so that it's inside the reconcile window.

To modify a transaction "Posting Date": right-click the transaction, hold down CTRL while left-clicking "Copy Transaction(s)". There you'll see the "Posting Date" which you can modify just like any other date in Quicken.
    edited January 6
    Matt said:

When I've encountered this problem, it's been because the posting date of the transaction is somehow outside the windows of the reconcile date.  I've been able to resolve the missing transaction by changing the posting date of the transaction so that it's inside the reconcile window.

To modify a transaction "Posting Date": right-click the transaction, hold down CTRL while left-clicking "Copy Transaction(s)". There you'll see the "Posting Date" which you can modify just like any other date in Quicken.

Matt, what version of Quicken Mac are you using? I do not see a "Copy Transaction(s)" item after right-clicking a transaction.
  • MattMatt Member
    edited January 9
    Matt said:

I am actually using Q 2016 for Windows.  I didn't realize I was posting on a Mac thread.
    edited January 9
    Matt said:

Well that explains that. You can't change the posted date in QMac.
  • flyingdcflyingdc Member
    edited January 6
    thank you... that's happened to me before and i've fixed that...BUT.. i still sometimes have a transaction within the proper date parameters that don't show up when i try to reconcile

• JeffJeff Member
    edited January 13
    I had the same problem at the OP. I think it results from a transiation that auto-matches with the incorrect transaction that falls outside of the reconcile period. Even when the items are un-matched, neither will appear in reconcile. My fix has been to un-match the transactions and then to duplicate the one within the reconcile period. That new one appears in the reconcile window. Once I've finished the reconcile, I go back and delete the original. 

This does seem like a bug in QMac. The duplicate option is a workaround that doesn't have any big consequences as far as I can tell. 
  • DDMDDM Member
    edited January 16
    Another possible solution I've discovered is to unmatched the incorrectly auto-matched transaction, which creates a duplicate of the transaction, then drag/drop the downloaded transaction onto the correct manually entered transaction. This effectively rematches the downloaded transaction to the correct manually entered transaction. I've been doing this habitually every time transactions are mismatched and haven't had the reconcile issue again.