Downloading transfers from Vanguard only show up in the receiving account.

marchandster
marchandster Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Downloading transfers from Vanguard only show up in the receiving account. I'm using Quicken 2016 Deluxe V R18.4. My Required Minimum Distributions this month show up as a sale from the mutual fund and transfer into my money market fund. When I download this info to Quicken, I only get the entry for the money market fund, not the sale info from the mutual fund. On the Vanguard site it all looks normal and I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions?

Comments

• marchandster
    marchandster Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I edited the account to reset the account.  I did have to match the account to my Vanguard account, which I did with no problem.  However, a new download still does not show the sale transaction in the fund that is the source of the transfer.
  • marchandster
    marchandster Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    After reading some of the other reported cases where downloading was not happening, I tried to do a manual download and then import into Quicken.  On the Vanguard site, I selected the All funds into one account, then 30 days and selected the four funds that make up this IRA account in Quicken.  When I imported the resulting file, I was prompted four times to identify which Quicken account to use.  At the end, I got an error message OL-362-A  (The financial institution data is for an account that does not exist in the Quicken Data File).  Can anyone help me understand how to resolve this issue?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Not sure how you have Vanguard set up in Quicken, but your exacerbating the problem by performing manual downloads from Vanguard to import.  Quicken works flawlessly with Vanguard.  For this to happen, you need to have Quicken mirror the accounts at Vanguard.  Brokerage, IRA/Roth, mutual fund, whatever.  If you have 5 Vanguard accounts, you need 5 in Quicken.  These accounts should be set up using Add Accounts and identifying the correct type when logging in to the Vanguard website.  The connection method is Direct Connect which will correctly download all transactions affected by any activity.

JM has a nice write-up on how to perform an RMD here. https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-best-way-to-handle-distributions-from-ira

• marchandster
    marchandster Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    GeoffG said:

Not sure how you have Vanguard set up in Quicken, but your exacerbating the problem by performing manual downloads from Vanguard to import.  Quicken works flawlessly with Vanguard.  For this to happen, you need to have Quicken mirror the accounts at Vanguard.  Brokerage, IRA/Roth, mutual fund, whatever.  If you have 5 Vanguard accounts, you need 5 in Quicken.  These accounts should be set up using Add Accounts and identifying the correct type when logging in to the Vanguard website.  The connection method is Direct Connect which will correctly download all transactions affected by any activity.

JM has a nice write-up on how to perform an RMD here. https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-best-way-to-handle-distributions-from-ira

Again, thanks for the response.  I read the link you provided and it is clear and helpful (somewhat).  As I read it, I should manually create a "deposit" entry with appropriate splits to capture tax related information before the transaction is downloaded from my FI.  Then I match the downloaded info with my manually created entry.  

In my case, I don't really care about capturing tax information.  I'm happy with just getting the share price and number of shares and let my accountant deal with the taxes later.

Also, my question is why I only got half of the transaction info from Vanguard (showing the addition to my MM account, but not the sale of shares),  And mostly I would like to know how to proceed from here.  

Thanks in advance
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    GeoffG said:

Because Vanguard records the sale as a direct transfer to your money market account.

Sales AND transfers (two transactions in Quicken...or a SOLDX transaction, which is basically two transactions in one) do not necessarily get downloaded from Vanguard.  Vanguard is solely responsible for what gets downloaded (or imported) into Quicken. 

I know if I write a check from my Vanguard money market account, Vanguard NEVER downloads the sale of shares.  Only the check "withdrawal".

Quicken is not an auto-pilot software.  It does require some monitoring and adjustments to use correctly.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

After reading some of the other reported cases where downloading was not happening, I tried to do a manual download and then import into Quicken.  On the Vanguard site, I selected the All funds into one account, then 30 days and selected the four funds that make up this IRA account in Quicken.  When I imported the resulting file, I was prompted four times to identify which Quicken account to use.  At the end, I got an error message OL-362-A  (The financial institution data is for an account that does not exist in the Quicken Data File).  Can anyone help me understand how to resolve this issue?

I also had a problem with a downloaded account transaction from Vanguard this year.  The downloaded transaction was incomplete and un-editable by me.  I finally had to delete the downloaded transaction and manually enter it into the register using my Vanguard statement.  I would suggest you just ignore the download process and manually input the transaction in your account register for the affected account.  You do not have to use the download and contrary to other comments, Quicken does not work flawlessly with Vanguard.  The problem may be a Vanguard fault, but it is still a problem nonetheless. 
  • marchandster
    marchandster Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    GeoffG said:

Your explanation makes sense to me, altho when I sell one fund and buy another in the same Vanguard account (an IRA maybe) there are two transactions downloaded.  In this case, the sale happened in my IRA account and the money went to a jointly owned and taxable account.  And the same transaction worked fine earlier in the year, FWIW.  So I wonder what is different now.

My hope is to learn why this happened so I can avoid it in the future.  As it stands now I don't know why it happened or how to avoid it.   

Thanks for taking the time to reply and if you have any other thoughts I would like to hear them.