Keeping Quicken data file on the cloud?

I have searched and found older answers about storing the Quicken Data File on the cloud. I am wondering if this still is not do-able. I am the one who does most of the entries in Quicken. My boss would like to be able to open Quicken and have it automatically be the "current version" without having to Restore from a back up. He doesn't want to access from the online app. He seems to think it is possible. (He was thinking Google Drive)

We just purchased Windows 10, Quicken 2019 Home & Business.

It seems that I have read that some people still do it. What is the danger in doing it, if it is something you are "not supposed to do"?

I would like to be able to explain to him why it is not recommended, and may not be the same as documents on the cloud.

Thanks so much.

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    You'll find the reasoning here.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    Does the boss ever make changes?  If not, there are ways to satisfy the boss's needs. 

After you make changes or at the end of the day when you normally make your backup, you could copy the data file to a shared folder.  Then, when the boss wants to look in Quicken, they would copy the data file from the shared folder to their local harddrive, overwriting the existing data file and then start Quicken, since the file's name never changes, Quicken will find it and open it.

This makes your copy of the data file the official version and everything else is just copies.

Now, if the boss is the type to want make changes and fiddle around in it, you are out of luck.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rodney BarkerRodney Barker Member
    edited January 15
    Thank you for the responses.
    How is synching to Quicken on the web any different? (They will ask me) Is it because it doesn't sync anything instantly?

Maybe I should start a new topic, but it doesn't seem that Quicken on the web has all the functionality of Desktop Quicken. Correct? For example I couldn't access Quicken on the web from home to do a reconciliation of a bank statement, correct? (I didn't see that option). Or I couldn't print a check from  home using the app on my computer in a browser?

Thanks
    edited January 15
    Oh, and just to add. We do currently already put the back up file on the cloud (drop box) and then they restore that to their computer. They were hoping to be able to skip a step, and just be able to open it and be automatically updated.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16

Thank you for the responses.
    How is synching to Quicken on the web any different? (They will ask me) Is it because it doesn't sync anything instantly?

Maybe I should start a new topic, but it doesn't seem that Quicken on the web has all the functionality of Desktop Quicken. Correct? For example I couldn't access Quicken on the web from home to do a reconciliation of a bank statement, correct? (I didn't see that option). Or I couldn't print a check from  home using the app on my computer in a browser?

Thanks

Correct on all the above. QWeb (or even QMobile) are only companion software that provide access and simple data entry and editing of cash, credit card, and bank account registers, access to budgets and summary data of investments. But all data is still stored on the desktop and does not sync automatically... users have to define what and when data are synced. 

All the heavy weightlifting can only be done on the desktop; reports, check printing, reconciliation, etc. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited January 15

Oh, and just to add. We do currently already put the back up file on the cloud (drop box) and then they restore that to their computer. They were hoping to be able to skip a step, and just be able to open it and be automatically updated.

The only way to skip a step is to use automation tools to move the files around. But that is about it. If you do not already do this, you can have Quicken create the backups directly to the Dropbox folder. Just remember to still restore the backup to its working location before using it.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    Here's the reason why you don't want to store your active Q data file in the cloud.

Q expects that it's data file is local, on the hard drive of your computer.  As such, Q lacks such database networking features as "Record Lock", "Commit" and "Rollback".  Without those, a single hiccup, during a Write operation, in the connection between Q and the Q data file in the cloud (the same applies if it were on a network drive) would TOAST your data file ... perhaps irreparably.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
    edited January 16
    If I may, one more question on what has been discussed here. Has to do with Sync :

The 3 computers using Quicken are myself and my 2 bosses. My Quicken data file just has 2 companies that I am involved in. Their Quicken data files have other accounts that are individual to them, and I don't have access to them. (Nor do they have access to each others individual ones). One of the bosses likes to sync his individual ones. However, since we made this upgrade, and all are under one Quicken ID, it would seem that I now would be able to see their accounts on the web/app version. 
    I figure it can't hurt to ask if there is any way that it could be made so that I wouldn't be able to see their info. (And each of them not see each others personal accounts)
    To me, it would seem that there should be some way to password protect their individual data files on the mobile/web version.
    I'm thinking there probably isn't a way, but maybe someone has some "trick" that isn't obvious?

Thanks again for the help provided here.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17

If I may, one more question on what has been discussed here. Has to do with Sync :

The 3 computers using Quicken are myself and my 2 bosses. My Quicken data file just has 2 companies that I am involved in. Their Quicken data files have other accounts that are individual to them, and I don't have access to them. (Nor do they have access to each others individual ones). One of the bosses likes to sync his individual ones. However, since we made this upgrade, and all are under one Quicken ID, it would seem that I now would be able to see their accounts on the web/app version. 
    I figure it can't hurt to ask if there is any way that it could be made so that I wouldn't be able to see their info. (And each of them not see each others personal accounts)
    To me, it would seem that there should be some way to password protect their individual data files on the mobile/web version.
    I'm thinking there probably isn't a way, but maybe someone has some "trick" that isn't obvious?

You got the picture.  Currently, even though you can have a password on a Quicken desktop file, that password is not used in QMobile or Q-Web.

The only way around this would be to buy three licenses and no one knows the other's password to the Quicken.com Account.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited January 17

You can add your VOTE to Add ability to add Multiple Quicken IDs to Subscription.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

Your VOTES matter!