Quicken on Linux by 2020 for Those Rejecting Windows 10

2»

Comments

• Steve CannonSteve Cannon Member
    edited January 15
    Throwing my hat into the ring...

I am still on Windows 7 running the latest version of Quicken.  I don't want to have to buy a new machine which will come with Windows 10 on it.  I will gladly give up Windows 10 and move to Linux (Linux Mint).  Does anyone know if Quicken can be run under Linux using Wine?
  • John ErvinJohn Ervin Member
    edited January 16
    I am able to run the current Quicken on my Ubuntu/Linux system using Crossover.  Seems to work fine, am able to use it to contact my bank and investment companies.  Crossover is not-free software built on wine.  I was never able to get Quicken to install using straight wine.  Let us know if you figure out how to install using the free version of Wine.
  • Dan HowardDan Howard Member
    edited January 17
    Moneydance (by the Infinte Kind) is not quite as polished as Quicken, but it does have Windows, Mac and Linux versions (plus a mobile  app)... https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software .  It's now $49 after a free limited trial, and it's not a "membership" model as is Quicken. Right now it supports "Direct Connect" (only) to financial institutions, but can also accept QFX downloads/import. The upcoming 2019 beta reportedly has the underpinnings for what will be the functional equivalent of the Quicken-proprietary "Web Connect" to download from institutions that don't support Direct Connect.

Some time ago I imported my Quicken data into Moneydance (Quicken has reportedly recently "broken" the ability to export data in the .QIF format which Moneydance uses to import existing data). I now maintain all of my data in both Quicken and Moneydance, looking forward to the day when Moneydance fully replicates the functionality I use in Quicken and I can use Moneydance exclusively (or the day that Quicken pi$$es me off to the extent that I cut them loose).
  • John ErvinJohn Ervin Member
    edited January 17
    That's my problem, I use Quicken about half for personal finance and investments and about half for a small business that I run.  Requires creating and keeping track of invoices.  I did get Quicken running on Ubuntu using Crossover by CodeWeavers (built on wine), but I expect that the Quicken folks will find a way of breaking that eventually.

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited January 17
    Well, let's analyze the results of this thread, as a Poll.

The thread has been up for 2 years ... and has gotten exactly 12 favorable votes.

By contrast, a prior thread about Q received over 300 votes in the 1st week.

I don't think that this "Linux by 2020" idea is going to fly.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • Bill TucciBill Tucci Member
    edited January 18
    Two years ago, when I started this thread, I was hoping that the dissatisfaction with Win 10 would finally get enough people to look at Linux desktop to make it a worthwhile market.  While 39% of Windows users are still on Win 7, I have a bad feeling that most of those are corporate machines that will be upgraded/replaced with Win 10 over the next year.  In looking at how many people are like myself and are NOT on Facebook compared to the 2.5 BILLION who are, I guess that viewing privacy as important is just so 20th Century (and George Orwell was only a handful of decades off in predicting Big Brother).  The recent problems MS has had in releasing updates and upgrades that don't trash your Windows machine should also give people pause, but it won't.

Maybe sometime next year I'll find that I was correct, and that the desktop Linux market matches OS X in size.  But until that happens, I don't see Quicken spending the resources to develop Linux Quicken.  (And even if I'm right, given the Linux community's bias against paid proprietary software, there still may not be enough of a market.)
2»