Quicken on Linux by 2020 for Those Rejecting Windows 10 (15 Legacy & 2 Merged Votes)

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Frankly the only way I think you will ever see Quicken on Linux without running a virtual machine is using wine.  And there are several problems around running wine (as in wine keeping up with all the changes/installs made to Quicken).

I wonder if Quicken is going to try to get away from desktop software anyways and the sync to mobile/web will become the way we upload our local dbs.  Seems like its a lot easier to find web developers these days and given all the efficiencies of running a website Quicken will naturally want to spend most of its time and effort on the web site.  Not to mention people seem to prefer websites these days.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Frankly the only way I think you will ever see Quicken on Linux without running a virtual machine is using wine.  And there are several problems around running wine (as in wine keeping up with all the changes/installs made to Quicken).

I certainly think that Quicken Inc is going to "build out" the Quicken Cloud versions (Mobile App and Web), but you have to keep things in perspective.

Developing for the web and mobile apps isn't going to go any faster (and maybe slower) than development for Desktop software.  So far the Quicken Mac rewrite has taken about 11 years (or "continuous work" of about 6 or more years) and has yet reached feature parity with Quicken 2007 Mac let alone Quicken subscriptions Deluxe Windows.

There is a TON of work they would have to do to make it independent of the Desktop version at this point.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

I came here to request Quicken on Ubuntu and it seems this is already a popular request. +1 for Linux support.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Me too, althought it works pretty well on Ubuntu with Crossover.  Much faster than virtualbox.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I depend on Quicken for my personal finances. Until Quicken is released for Linux, I am committed to using a stand alone, island machine Windows 10 machine for my financial records. I do not buy into the Cloud version idea as a friend, an accountant, who uses QuickBooks on the cloud says it is much slower and more difficult.
  • Brent
    Brent Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I too would love to have a Linux version of Quicken, however, I am not holding my breath.  I believe that they will build out the online version before committing resources to a Linux port.  From my experience, they certainly have a lot of work to do to stabilize the online version.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Are you calling Quicken on the Web an "online version"? 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2019

I too would love to have a Linux version of Quicken, however, I am not holding my breath.  I believe that they will build out the online version before committing resources to a Linux port.  From my experience, they certainly have a lot of work to do to stabilize the online version.

I know we cannot change Microsoft’s vision of what we want, ie,
    THEY know better than we do, but here is an idea vis-à-vis Quicken.
    I remember when Quicken first came out it ran on DOS, not Windows.
    While it was not very sophisticated, it had a HUGE advantage over
    everything else on the market – it was almost completely bug free.
    Before abandoning Quicken for DOS, there were several versions and
    possibly the most recent would not be too difficult to modify for
    Linux Terminal. There would be no bank or stock downloads (initially)
    but the actual managing of personal expenditures would be available
    and much less temperamental than [removed].

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I am able to run the current Quicken on my Ubuntu/Linux system using Crossover.  Seems to work fine, am able to use it to contact my bank and investment companies.  Crossover is not-free software built on wine.  I was never able to get Quicken to install using straight wine.  Let us know if you figure out how to install using the free version of Wine.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2019
    [removed  is not quite as polished as Quicken, but it does have Windows, Mac and Linux versions (plus a mobile  app)... [removed]

Right now it supports "Direct Connect" (only) to financial institutions, but can also accept QFX downloads/import. The upcoming 2019 beta reportedly has the underpinnings for what will be the functional equivalent of the Quicken-proprietary "Web Connect" to download from institutions that don't support Direct Connect.

Some time ago I imported my Quicken data into [removed] (Quicken has reportedly recently "broken" the ability to export data in the .QIF format which [removed] uses to import existing data). I now maintain all of my data in both Quicken and [removed], looking forward to the day when [removed] fully replicates the functionality I use in Quicken and I can use [removed] exclusively [removed]
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    That's my problem, I use Quicken about half for personal finance and investments and about half for a small business that I run.  Requires creating and keeping track of invoices.  I did get Quicken running on Ubuntu using Crossover by CodeWeavers (built on wine), but I expect that the Quicken folks will find a way of breaking that eventually.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Well, let's analyze the results of this thread, as a Poll.

The thread has been up for 2 years ... and has gotten exactly 12 favorable votes.

By contrast, a prior thread about Q received over 300 votes in the 1st week.

I don't think that this "Linux by 2020" idea is going to fly.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Bill Tucci
    Bill Tucci Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Two years ago, when I started this thread, I was hoping that the dissatisfaction with Win 10 would finally get enough people to look at Linux desktop to make it a worthwhile market.  While 39% of Windows users are still on Win 7, I have a bad feeling that most of those are corporate machines that will be upgraded/replaced with Win 10 over the next year.  In looking at how many people are like myself and are NOT on Facebook compared to the 2.5 BILLION who are, I guess that viewing privacy as important is just so 20th Century (and George Orwell was only a handful of decades off in predicting Big Brother).  The recent problems MS has had in releasing updates and upgrades that don't trash your Windows machine should also give people pause, but it won't.

Maybe sometime next year I'll find that I was correct, and that the desktop Linux market matches OS X in size.  But until that happens, I don't see Quicken spending the resources to develop Linux Quicken.  (And even if I'm right, given the Linux community's bias against paid proprietary software, there still may not be enough of a market.)
  • keilmillerjr@
    keilmillerjr@ Member ✭✭
    I have been using mac since OS8. My mid-2011 iMac is no longer supported by MacOS, but has good hardware specs. Mac is also becoming bloated. I've been dealing with very lightweight Linux systems lately. Next computer will be generic x86 pc components running Linux. Been programming components for a multiplatform sfml app lately. Using a multiplatform framework could be a good choice to reach people on different platforms without the need for separate branches. Web based solutions is good too. Excited to start using quicken on my mac. Was thinking about Linux and saw this thread.
  • Dave Rockwell
    Dave Rockwell Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I am an avid Linux user.  In the past I used Windows at home because my work used Windows and I thought I should use Linux on a separate machine or a VM.  Now I have Linux installed on all of my systems at home and I use a VM just to run Quicken. 

In my (humble) opinion,  It would be best for a company like Quicken to move to Docker as this would save developing multiple platform versions of the program.  The company could focus more efforts on improving Quicken, which is already really great, and could even continue set itself as the market front-runner!!

But, for my own benefit, I would be able to get rid of any Windows applications and therefore Windows!!!  :))

Thanks in advance for your consideration,
    Dave  
  • kirk276
    kirk276 Member
    I came here looking to see if there was something in the works to have Quicken run in Linux with out running wine or a virtual machine. seems many here are under the impression that it would be too hard for them to port it if they wanted. I'd like to note that there is a Quicken version for Android, and that OS is build on Linux. So I don't see any reason they couldn't, its only a matter if they want to. like many others I'm planing to switch to Linux very soon. My mom runs Quicken and at the moment the plan is to run a windows 7 computer disconnected from the net to only run Quicken, yes i know that means reduced functionality, on the other hand my mom is not ready to deal with wine or virtual machines. This seemed the safest option.
  • BAZ
    BAZ Member ✭✭
    I am also not going to "migrate" to Windoze 10 - I have been running it on one laptop and I absolutely hate it. So I'm here looking for how to run Quicken 2020 on either a Chromebook or Linux. (or within the Chromebook's Linux environment). This is another up-vote for being able to run Quicken on Linux, or by using Wine.

I will keep my trusty Windows 7 system alive so I can run Quicken and Tax Prep software. Everything else I do on my Chromebook (including the Debian Linux container on Chromebook). So with no Linux version available, it is important that Quicken continue to run on Windows 7.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @BAZ ,

When Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7 with Security Updates, Quicken may also, because of the need for Security.  In my opinion, Windows 10, is better than Windows 7, because Windows 7 Stop Responding a lot. Windows 10, does not, as long as you keep Windows 10 clean.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• keilmillerjr@
    keilmillerjr@ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Using quicken on my mac after a dreadful install. Unresponsive for hours. Installed virtual machine of manjaro on my imac. Laptop already installed. Will the current quicken work with wine? Maybe I try it on my next day off.
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    Using quicken on my mac after a dreadful install. Unresponsive for hours. Installed virtual machine of manjaro on my imac. Laptop already installed. Will the current quicken work with wine? Maybe I try it on my next day off.
    The problem with guessing if Quicken will work with Wine is that what Wine does is have a compatibility layer of the "core system functions", but not the whole operating system.  And so with every release of Quicken there is a possibility that Quicken (or the libraries it uses) might call a function that  they haven't emulated, and such it will fail.  And what's more for whatever reason the installs themselves seem to cause a lot of problems, and as such the people maintaining Wine are in a constant battle to keep updating to keep up with the changes in Quicken and other programs.  At least that was the message coming from people using it for Quicken in the past.

On the other hand I have seen news that they have made a lot of progress, so this might not be as bad these days.  I don't use Wine, so I can't really judge how good it works today.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • SamThomas
    SamThomas Member
    I turned 72 on August 3rd and have used and professionally support other IT user with Quicken, Quickbooks and TurboTax for the past decade or more on Windows. Windows 7 was tolerable. Windows 8 was terrible. Windows 10 became intolerable.

I am now retired and refuse to pay Microsoft one red penny for Windows 10. After working 35 years in the IT support industry, I came to recognize MIcrosoft's scam for upgrading very few years, as Bill Gates became wealthy beyond all reason from an antiquated & bloated product that became unusable.

I sure hope Intuit does not and generates versions of its product for LINUX in my lifetime.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, you can still upgrade Windows 7 & 8 to Windows 10 for free and Intuit hasn't owned Quicken in about 4 years. You most have retired from IT an LONG time ago.  :)
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @"SamThomas ,

Intuit sold Quicken Software, but it licenses the trademark name of Quicken, to Quicken, Inc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAtj1qpKcpI&feature=youtu.be

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @SamThomas

Personally of all the versions of Windows, I like Windows 10 the best.  It is faster to start and shutdown of any version, and it has come a long way since it was first introduced (and for the record it when it came out it was already as fast as Windows 7).  What's more it has had at least 3 major updates that in the past would have been "new versions" like XP, 7, ... and there has been no charge for them.  Microsoft has stuck to their promise that Windows 10 is now a "service" and not something that you have to pay for every few years.

As for Linux your best bet is going to be Wine or a virtual machine.  There was a post on here recently that a person had a problem running Wine on a Mac.  Of course the problem had nothing to do with Quicken, and the fix was some special setting and the people at Wine helped him with it.

If you have followed the history of Quicken Mac you might be aware of the fact that back in 2007 they decided to do a total rewrite of it.  It took until 2010 before they could release Quicken Essentials for Mac, which had so few features almost no one adopted it.  Intuit kept supporting Quicken 2007 Mac for free for many years because of this and its support only stopped a few years ago.  The rewrite stopped and started at times, but Inuit and now Quicken Inc have been working on it non stop for years and even though it is much better it still lacks some features that Quicken 2007 Mac has and there are tons of features even Quicken Windows Deluxe has that it doesn't have yet.

That gives you the kind of road map for what it would take to put out a Linux version.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ken@1Osprey
    Ken@1Osprey Member ✭✭
    I feel like Linus has kicked the football !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently switched to Linux. After using it for about 2 weeks, I was about ready to give up and go back to Windows as my beloved Quicken desktop was not being "Wined".

I sent a prayer (pray about everything worry about nothing) and a few hours later I was led to CrossOver https://www.codeweavers.com/

Linus kicked the football, ran down the field, caught it after bouncing off the helmet of the opposing team and ran for a touchdown. :) :)

My distro is Mint Cinnamon ver 20. After several attempts with PlayOnLinux trying to convert (WIne is Not and Emulator) Quicken Premier 2019, 2015 and 2013, I gave up. And then I loaded CrossOver...... Created a bottle for Quicken 2019 Premier

Initially, it did not look like it worked and want I got resembled a screen scrape of my last Quicken session. Relatively dejected I sent a nice nasty gram to CrossOver support asking for help and then, I looked at my desktop and tried it again. That's when Linus kicked the football. I opened my files with no issue. I am now a Linux guy and ain't goin' back. No need for VM. No need for dual OS. YES!!!!!!!!!

The power of pray baby.

Best to all of you
  • steve13565
    steve13565 Member ✭✭✭
    Now that TurboTax will not run on Windows-7, Quicken is the only thing that prevents me from switching to Linux. The need to switch to Linux for everything is getting greater and greater.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Now that TurboTax will not run on Windows-7, Quicken is the only thing that prevents me from switching to Linux. The need to switch to Linux for everything is getting greater and greater.
    Then I suggest you do what @Ken@1Osprey did an use Crossover.

There is no way Quicken Inc is going to come out with a version for Linux.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Vote +1 for Ubuntu version. Will say Crossover and Quicken 2020 Premiere works like a champ!
  • studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    I don't really expect a linux version, but if you could make a few small changes, like skipping the PDF printer an option during installation, it'd be more compatible with wine. 

wags Glad to be here!

• Get with it
    Get with it Member ✭✭
    I've read all the excuses for why Quicken can't get its act together and make a version for Linux but with more and more people getting away from corrupt Microsoft and Apple, how about getting ahead of the curve and starting the development since it's likely inevitable that it will be needed to stay in touch with the market.