downloading bank transactions

First of all quicken will not connect with BOA so I have to go to BOA website and download the transactions.  When doing so each time I have to save the transactions, then quicken opens up and excepts the transactions.  There has to be an easier way to do this???  Can quicken just simply except the transactions with me saving them to computer.  

Comments

• Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold ✭✭✭✭ Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19
    Hello CMH, appreciate your question.

When did the issue first start happening?

Have you tried deactivating and reactivating your BOA accounts in Quicken:

Deactivate Accounts: https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account
    Reactivate Accounts: https://www.quicken.com/support/reactivating-deactivated-account

Please let us know if this works for you or if you have any other questions.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • chasfm11 .chasfm11 . Member
    edited January 19
    Quicken, the program can and does connect to BOA for me every day.   Your computer's installation may not be able to do that now.  

First, knowing your particular release information about Quicken helps narrow the problem that you are having.  Second, knowing how you are trying to connect helps, too.  I successfully use Direct Connect but BOA did have an security upgrade that I had to go through so that my Quicken connection to my BOA accounts would work.  That information is in the links that Harold provided.  Third, I'm a long time Quicken/BOA user and my connection suddenly stopped working about two years ago.  I had to run super-validate on my Quicken file to get it started again.  My BOA connection has worked fine since.  I suspected a problem during a Quicken upgrade but don't have any evidence to support that being the cause of my issues.

I manually input all of my own transactions.  I tweaked Quicken's settings about memorized transactions and most of the ones that I try to enter will mostly pre-fill from my transaction history.   I use the BOA connection to validate my inputs with almost all of them auto-matching.  This process has been working solidly for more than a year for me and I do it at least once every day.

I suspect that your computer's Quicken installation can do the same as mine.   It might take some work on your part to figure out more specifically why yours isn't and asking more specific questions about the problems that you have.
  • Annette AndersonAnnette Anderson Member ✭✭
    edited January 18
    I have had this problem for about a month. I have deactivated and reactivated several times and that seems to work for a bit. I would check the name of the financial institution. Quicken changed my BofA account to BofA - Quicken.
    edited January 18
    That sounds familiar.  While it is a shot in the dark for you but it fixed my situation,  here is my suggestion.
    1.  Back up your data
    2. Deactivate all of your BOA accounts, even if some of them are working
    3. Run Supervalidate.     Hold CTL and Shift keys down while selecting File, then File Operations and then Validate and Repair.  You should now see supervalidate.  Mine did not show any errors but there is a text file report and if there are errors, you probably should pursue those first.
    4. Pick one BOA account and attempt to activate it.  I'm running Direct Connect to BOA.  If you are doing something different, you procedure to do reactive might be different.  When I activated one account, the process found all of the others.   Be sure to use "link" and associate the accounts found with your existing accounts - be careful to link the right ones since the names may not be consistent.

I've only had one situation where I had to deactivate and reactivate since I went through the listed process and that was with Chase, not BOA>

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19
    B of A no longer offers Direct Connect. Long-time customers who have DC
    can continue to use it, but new customers don't get the option. They can
    only get Express Web Connect. I don't know why this is the case or what
    the cutoff date was. But it explains why different B of A customers have different experiences with Quicken.

"Bank of America - Quicken" only connects via Express Web Connect. "Bank of America-All Other States" can use Direct Connect.

So if you have used DC in the past and suddenly find you're stuck with EWC, you should try to reconnect the account(s) to "Bank of America-All Other States" and see whether DC still works.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • CMH hawleyCMH hawley Member
    edited January 19

Hello CMH, appreciate your question.

When did the issue first start happening?

Have you tried deactivating and reactivating your BOA accounts in Quicken:

Deactivate Accounts: https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account
    Reactivate Accounts: https://www.quicken.com/support/reactivating-deactivated-account

Please let us know if this works for you or if you have any other questions.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

To tell you the truth this has gone on since first downloading quicken for 2 3 years now.  I have completed your steps time and time again to no avail.  One would think at the cost of quicken they would be able to proxy on the computer to fix these issues as all other companies do.  
    edited January 19

Quicken, the program can and does connect to BOA for me every day.   Your computer's installation may not be able to do that now.  

First, knowing your particular release information about Quicken helps narrow the problem that you are having.  Second, knowing how you are trying to connect helps, too.  I successfully use Direct Connect but BOA did have an security upgrade that I had to go through so that my Quicken connection to my BOA accounts would work.  That information is in the links that Harold provided.  Third, I'm a long time Quicken/BOA user and my connection suddenly stopped working about two years ago.  I had to run super-validate on my Quicken file to get it started again.  My BOA connection has worked fine since.  I suspected a problem during a Quicken upgrade but don't have any evidence to support that being the cause of my issues.

I manually input all of my own transactions.  I tweaked Quicken's settings about memorized transactions and most of the ones that I try to enter will mostly pre-fill from my transaction history.   I use the BOA connection to validate my inputs with almost all of them auto-matching.  This process has been working solidly for more than a year for me and I do it at least once every day.

I suspect that your computer's Quicken installation can do the same as mine.   It might take some work on your part to figure out more specifically why yours isn't and asking more specific questions about the problems that you have.

2019 r17.6.  To date since purchase Quicken has yet to resolve this issue.  As far as all of your steps one should NOT have to go through that with the cost of quicken products!.  Also with all of my transactions, I purchased quicken to help simply my banking needs and NOT to enter transactions manually!
    edited January 19

the cutoff date was. But it explains why different B of A customers have different experiences with Quicken.

"Bank of America - Quicken" only connects via Express Web Connect. "Bank of America-All Other States" can use Direct Connect.

So if you have used DC in the past and suddenly find you're stuck with EWC, you should try to reconnect the account(s) to "Bank of America-All Other States" and see whether DC still works.

Totally makes sense and do not know why Qucken could not simply state these facts!
    Could you help me with the fact that I have to save the download each time from the web?  I would think that quicken would simply open these type of files without all the extra steps.   Thank you so much for the help. 
    edited January 19

Thanks for that information.  I never understood that.   I am a long time BOA customer - was with them when the service was under Nation's bank.   Mine is definitely All Other States.  As far as entering manual transactions, that is my choice, not a requirement.   I found it easier to make sure that those transactions are properly categorized.  I need categories to work for my budget and ended up having to manipulate downloaded transactions to make that happen.  I find that with memorized transactions,  I can actually create new ones faster than I could manipulate downloaded ones to get categories and tags correct but maybe that is just me.
    edited January 19

I thank you for your help and assistance.  MSN money was great and I used it for years and was so upset to see it go.  Quicken to me is very user unfriendly and at a very high cost.   Thank you again. 
This discussion has been closed.