ROI % (1 Year) calculation should NOT be affected by Portfolio Preference start date

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
This refers to Quicken 2019, latest version as of 1/17/2019.

In the Portfolio View, one can show the column "ROI % (1 Year)" which is defined as "Return on Investment... etc etc... over the past year." One can also display the Income column, which is the income received from the security since the user-selected date in the "Portfolio Preferences" dialog box.

Now, I can understand how the "Income" calculation depends on the user-selected date, but "ROI % (1 year)" should be based on the past year, period, without regard to the user-selected "Portfolio Preferences" date.

However, this is not the case -- if you change the user-selected start date to today's date, you will see that Quicken lists no income for any security in the portfolio view (correct) but ALSO subtracts the income from the ROI % (1 year) calculation.

This is wrong, based on the definition of the ROI % 1-Year column.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I am not sure I agree. I think my selected start date should override the canned calculations.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    mshiggins said:

I am not sure I agree. I think my selected start date should override the canned calculations.

Shouldn't "one year" mean one year?   The column is titled "Return (1 Year)" not  "Return Since Custom Date"...
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    mshiggins said:

I can see how that would be confusing.

Of course you can always get one year results in that column by setting the start date to the default of Earliest available or any date earlier than 1 year before the As of date.

I often get unexpected results when I forget that I have set a start date.
    QWin Premier subscription