subscription service

2»

Comments

• Von ZillaVon Zilla Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled subscription.

I've been using Quicken for decades, it seems.  The subscription option will end my association with them.
  • Jinx AdamsJinx Adams Member
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Old school.

I urge you to consider that not all Quicken users are millenials using handheld devices. I began using Quicken in the early 90's and it has always helped me keep track of my current, past and future transactions. I also keep my investment, banking and household inventroy in my file. For the past 10+ years I have lived on a fixed income, and do not have an options of a subscription service, and I do not trust cloud storage. I imagine there are other people who, like me, don't want all the bells and whistles you designed. 

I truly do not want to learn a new program, please consider continuing support of our cuuuent 2016 or 2017 program.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

I urge you to consider that not all Quicken users are millenials using handheld devices. I began using Quicken in the early 90's and it has always helped me keep track of my current, past and future transactions. I also keep my investment, banking and household inventroy in my file. For the past 10+ years I have lived on a fixed income, and do not have an options of a subscription service, and I do not trust cloud storage. I imagine there are other people who, like me, don't want all the bells and whistles you designed. 

I truly do not want to learn a new program, please consider continuing support of our cuuuent 2016 or 2017 program.

Jinx Adams

The subscription is how you pay for the software.  It doesn't imply any change of where your data is stored.
    edited August 2018

Don't want a subscription service.  That's the point. Your answer is off generational target, young one! 
  • Hopeful1Hopeful1 Member
    edited January 20

Please explain to us what you might think how the "subscription service" differs from what you had previously?

Because the ONLY things that have changed are the terms of the download functions (from a max of about 3 years and a few months previously,  to one, two or 27 months) and a price increase for some users.  

Everything else has stayed exactly as it was in Quicken 2017 or earlier. The data remains on your hard drive.  Except for the Starter Edition, if the subscription lapses you can still access your data and use it in non-download mode.  You can opt to use mobile sync access or Dropbox storage...or not.  
  • RichardRichard Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken Subscription.

I

am a long time Quicken user.  Over the

years I’ve purchased new, updated copies of the software, on average, every two

to three years.  Quicken always

maintained the software I was using, even though it might be three years

old.  I was allowed to use online banking

and take advantage of all Quicken had to offer, even though my software was

three years old.  But all that changed

with the advent of a yearly subscription. 

If you don’t pay the yearly fee, you lose access to online banking and

other once prized tools.  Quicken has

gone from being a useful tool offered by a company that understood the need to

budget and save (thanks to Scott Cook and Tom Proulx) to an expensive service

owned by a company (HIG) more interested in charging fees and forcing yearly

purchases of its product than helping consumers.  For years I’ve recommended Quicken to

everyone (which increased the purchase of Quicken) right along with many, many

other Quicken users.  I will no longer

recommend Quicken.  I will no longer purchase

Quicken software.  With this, my years

long relationship with Quicken comes to an end. 

I recommend you look elsewhere for a more affordable financial tool.
  • ScottScott Member
    edited December 2018

Subscription model for many software seems to be the way of the current future. So very unlikely this will change, at least any time soon. That said, you can turn off auto-renew in your account and get a similar result.

Keep in mind that old versions were essentially subscriptions without the name, just limited to at most 3 1/2 years. The main difference is that the subscription terminology is now upfront and has been reduced to 12 to 27 months with a new pricing structure. 

There are 2 exceptions...Starter Edition renders your file read-only if the subscription expires and we have just learned that Quicken becomes Ad-driven when the subscription expires, taking up about 20% of screen space do so, cutting off about 2 columns worth of data in registers. Be aware of that.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

I don’t understand why you say that the old versions of Quicken were “essentially subscriptions”. Or maybe I don’t completely agree. Yes, I was “encouraged” to upgrade just about every year, but I generally would wait a few years between upgrades. So, the initial poster’s 4 years is about right. But my mother-in-law, for instance, has been using the same version for at least 10 years.

I sounds to me like the new Quicken will be “in the cloud” and will stop working if I stop paying the annual subscription. That’s a material difference. It does feel like a bit of a rip-off.

But I agree with you that Quicken will most likely NOT change their policy. I guess I’ll be staying on my PC version for a while longer.
  • ScottScott Member
    edited December 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Year payment/upgrade.

Very upset with the new yearly subscription of Quicken!!  I have been using this product for many years and upgrade when I feel I need to or when the product will no longer be supported.  I am using Quicken 17 presently and will continue using in the future because I will not be "upgrading"  if it is subscription only.  I will no longer recommend Quicken to anyone.  Just because some other products have started using subscription process doesn't mean you need to do it.  I have a feeling you will be losing a lot of LOYAL customers.

Well said
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Subscription model for many software seems to be the way of the current future. So very unlikely this will change, at least any time soon. That said, you can turn off auto-renew in your account and get a similar result.

Keep in mind that old versions were essentially subscriptions without the name, just limited to at most 3 1/2 years. The main difference is that the subscription terminology is now upfront and has been reduced to 12 to 27 months with a new pricing structure. 

There are 2 exceptions...Starter Edition renders your file read-only if the subscription expires and we have just learned that Quicken becomes Ad-driven when the subscription expires, taking up about 20% of screen space do so, cutting off about 2 columns worth of data in registers. Be aware of that.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

NO, Quicken is STILL not cloud-based. It can sync to the cloud but only some of the data and the cloud parts (QMobile or QWeb) are only companions to the desktop, not stand-alone. Regardless, your data is always stored on your local computer. AND it will function just like previous versions, even after it expires, except for 2 caveats:

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited December 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Year payment/upgrade.

Very upset with the new yearly subscription of Quicken!!  I have been using this product for many years and upgrade when I feel I need to or when the product will no longer be supported.  I am using Quicken 17 presently and will continue using in the future because I will not be "upgrading"  if it is subscription only.  I will no longer recommend Quicken to anyone.  Just because some other products have started using subscription process doesn't mean you need to do it.  I have a feeling you will be losing a lot of LOYAL customers.

Again, you can opt to not renew your subscription when it expires...just turn off auto-renew in your Quicken.com profile. Just read the caveat if you do... and add your VOTE if you disapprove with losing screen real-estate...here:
    QWin 2017-CA/QWin & QMac 2018–Quicken Inc should eliminate or at least minimize the LARGE Advertising space used when a subscription expires

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Actually on Mac, the screen real estate is not quite as bad as on windows. I lose about 96k pixels in the top bar and 318k in the side advertisement, which amounts to about 18% of my total 2,304k pixel screen.

Plus you can slide the main window left, make it wider, then slide it back right so the side advertisement is off screen (which is a pain (pane?) because you have to do it every time you launch the program.) But you also open a register or report full screen and that window has no advertising. 

edited December 2018

Nice work-around. ;-)

What is your screen resolution? Looks like you are using 2560 x 1440?

edited December 2018

1200x1920
    edited December 2018

Do other windowed registers (not full screen) have the advertising or only the home screen?

edited December 2018

The main window (the one with the sidebar) has the advertising. Other windows do not.
    edited December 2018

:-)

• DebDeb Member
    edited January 20
     Been using Quicken since Moby Dick was a minnow, last version I upgraded to was Home and Business 2015. Now my computer has died, and when I tried to log into my account to re-download the version I had previously paid for on a new computer, I find it has all changed, and my account isn't even there any more. Plus it's all now a yearly subscription??? I do not want to be in the cloud. I want to own the product I paid for, or at least be able to buy a new desktop version! You should have the desktop version available for outright purchase. I am at a loss now what I am going to do, and this is a HUGE problem.  I feel like I've been screwed.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    Deb, a couple of years ago, Intuit sold off Quicken. Quicken is now its own company, Quicken Inc. That change occurred after you purchased Q2015. Your Q2015 should still be available from your Intuit account. It's likely not available from your Quicken account. Regarding the new subscription model, your data is not in the cloud unless you decide to use any of the cloud based features - Express Web Connect, mobile or web view, or syncing to the cloud. If you don't use those features, your data will only be on your computer. If you decide to proceed with getting a newer version, shop around. Typically online retailers like Amazon have a better price than you get purchasing direct from Quicken Inc.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    Did you look here for your previous purchase (assuming you bought directly from Intuit/Quicken):
    Old Intuit/Quicken Downloads 

If you bought from Amazon (or other retailer) you need to go back to their website for the download.

After installing, DO NOT START QUICKEN.  Download and run the mondo patch for QW2015 found here:
    Quicken Patches   Not applying this patch will cause you issues and try to check with Intuit vs Quicken for registration.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    Deb said:

Been using Quicken since Moby Dick was a minnow, last version I upgraded to was Home and Business 2015. Now my computer has died, and when I tried to log into my account to re-download the version I had previously paid for on a new computer, I find it has all changed, and my account isn't even there any more. Plus it's all now a yearly subscription??? I do not want to be in the cloud. I want to own the product I paid for, or at least be able to buy a new desktop version! You should have the desktop version available for outright purchase. I am at a loss now what I am going to do, and this is a HUGE problem.  I feel like I've been screwed.

Deb, a couple of years ago, Intuit sold off Quicken. Quicken is now its own company, Quicken Inc. That change occurred after you purchased Q2015.

Your Q2015 should still be available from your Intuit account. It's likely not available from your Quicken account.

Regarding the new subscription model, your data is not in the cloud unless you decide to use any of the cloud based features - Express Web Connect, mobile or web view, or syncing to the cloud. If you don't use those features, your data will only be on your computer.

If you decide to proceed with getting a newer version, shop around. Typically online retailers like Amazon have a better price than you get purchasing direct from Quicken Inc.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    After you hopefully get squared away with the advice above, I'd note that relying on Quicken -- or any software vendor -- to allow you to re-download your software forever is not a safe strategy. Things change over time: companies are bought and sol, products are changed or terminated, policies are changed...

The only way to be sure you are protected is to have adequate backups that you can get back in operation on your own should your computer/hard drive die. Many people don't realize this until it's too late. If you don't have a backup solution(s) in place to incrementally back up all your important data and have a full-disk backup that includes all your software programs as well as your data, make it a priority to implement such a solution(s) sooner rather than later. This could be a cloud backup service (but make sure they backup your programs and settings, not just your data) or a utility to copy your entire drive to an external hard drive, or both. If you haven't done these things, I understand -- it's easy to ignore when things just work the way they're supposed to, and breaking inertia is hard. But do it. Some day, you will be thankful that you have the proper backups to recover from some problem. :)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited January 20
    Deb said:

Wrong, the answer is, give us a download product.
  • ColinGruchyColinGruchy Member
    edited January 20
    Deb said:

The last standalone product I purchased was Quicken Home and Business 2014, for which bank account and securities prices updates ended in 2017. Somewhere in that time period Intuit sold Quicken and Quicken became its own company. I purchased the subscription in 2017 because as a Canadian user that was the only option available to me. It renewed automatically in 2018 and will continue to do so each year. When I look at my history of purchases on my account on quicken.com, my 2014 stand alone purchase is listed with a download link beside it. The link enables me to download the 2014 software. The other two listings are my subscription purchase in 2017 and my renewal in 2018. So it looks like your 2015 software should be available to you. Contact Quicken and they should send you a link to the software.
    edited January 20
    splasher said:

Did you look here for your previous purchase (assuming you bought directly from Intuit/Quicken):
    Old Intuit/Quicken Downloads 

If you bought from Amazon (or other retailer) you need to go back to their website for the download.

After installing, DO NOT START QUICKEN.  Download and run the mondo patch for QW2015 found here:
    Quicken Patches   Not applying this patch will cause you issues and try to check with Intuit vs Quicken for registration.

I can confirm that Intuit finally recently removed any and all previous Quicken related purchases and download links. I had both 2007 and 2016....both gone... no trace...  :-(  No surprise though.

That said, I can also confirm that in my Quicken.com account, I have now access to download links for QM2016 (originally obtained from Intuit) (but sadly not QM2007). 

edited January 20
    jacobs said:

After you hopefully get squared away with the advice above, I'd note that relying on Quicken -- or any software vendor -- to allow you to re-download your software forever is not a safe strategy. Things change over time: companies are bought and sol, products are changed or terminated, policies are changed...

The only way to be sure you are protected is to have adequate backups that you can get back in operation on your own should your computer/hard drive die. Many people don't realize this until it's too late. If you don't have a backup solution(s) in place to incrementally back up all your important data and have a full-disk backup that includes all your software programs as well as your data, make it a priority to implement such a solution(s) sooner rather than later. This could be a cloud backup service (but make sure they backup your programs and settings, not just your data) or a utility to copy your entire drive to an external hard drive, or both. If you haven't done these things, I understand -- it's easy to ignore when things just work the way they're supposed to, and breaking inertia is hard. But do it. Some day, you will be thankful that you have the proper backups to recover from some problem. :)

Great advice and SO important to back up not only data but original software installers as well as updates and ideally preferences too.