I don't like the new 'Bills' view

I find myself using the 'Manage Manual Bills & Income' button when I'm viewing 'Bills' in the Bills & Income tab because it provides the summary of all my bills and income and transfers in one place like the previous version. Please provide an option to view 'Bills' as a simple list the same as 'Income & Transfers.' Combined view does what I want except for, again, the fact there is no simple 'list' view.
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Are you using the latest patch level?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • davidlambertdavidlambert Member
    edited January 21
    Whenever there is a patch or update it is installed so, Yes! Version R4.4, build 27.1.44

I don't like this.

I like this.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Whenever there is a patch or update it is installed so, Yes! Version R4.4, build 27.1.44

I don't like this.

I like this.

The likelihood of Quicken Inc changing back to the old format is about zero percent.

They are changing the format because they feel that the old format is "old" and cramped (at least that is my guess why they are changing it).

If they wanted it to be like the old format, they wouldn't have changed it.

In fact I think they would argue that they are proving "simple list" much more than the old format which might be considered "complicated".

My suggestion is if you don't like the new Bills tab, just don't use it.
    In fact I never used the Bills tab until in the last few years where that is where they added the Online Bills.  Others use it for the Stack and Calendar and such kinds of views.

My standard way to look at my bills reminders is Ctr+J, which brings up the one you (and I) like.  My only hope is that once they are done with all the work on the Bills tab they won't remove the old one.  You can also access the old one from the Tools menu.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9
    I suggest you consider using Bill and Income Reminders on a Home tab view.  

For more background, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7619354/quicken-for-windows-2018-bill-view
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I don't like this.

I like this.

The CTRL-J is also the only way I look at Bills. I do not see anything in the new views that is better. (In fact I can't even use the new views as the do Not match the old way and shows Bills that aren't even setup to be reminded anywhere so it is very confusing to me).

Also, when you click the Bills and Income Tab there is a button "Manage Manual Bills and Income" which goes directly to the old Bill and Income Reminders Window (same as CTRL-J)
    edited December 2018
    Well, now I have two options for viewing 'Bill and Income Reminders' the way I used to. I didn't know about the 'Control-J' shortcut (pointed out by QPW and miklk) because I previously had the view available to me on it's own tab and I have now set up a new 'View' on my 'Home' tab as Sherlock suggested, as long as I remember that it is there. Thanks fellas.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Well, now I have two options for viewing 'Bill and Income Reminders' the way I used to. I didn't know about the 'Control-J' shortcut (pointed out by QPW and miklk) because I previously had the view available to me on it's own tab and I have now set up a new 'View' on my 'Home' tab as Sherlock suggested, as long as I remember that it is there. Thanks fellas.

BTW You can also put an icon for this on your Tool bar.
    edited March 2018

Thanks. Done.
  • Mike60Mike60 Member
    edited December 2018

I could actually enter and process a bill from the old bills list and can't do it with the control J.  They are destroying the Quicken that some of us had helped them develop into a very useful tool.
    There was a very disciplined process for working with actual users to make changes that were REAL improvements and not just changes. The usability of Quicken is going backwards. I am sickened by the new version.  This is just one of the poorly implemented changes I have found that were obviously made by a programer without an input from an actual user.
  • Mike60Mike60 Member
    edited February 9
    I agree with davidlambert, I hate the unusable bill list that is in there now.  I am contacting Intuit to see if they will start working with us to incorporate some of the investment processes that Quickbooks does not currently have.  I am ready to abandon Quicken as soon as I can find a replacement (probably Quickbooks).  I had used Quicken for more than 15 years and had worked with Intuit to incorporate needed improvements and I am really sick about what the current development team has done to reverse and cancel all the progress..  They are making changes for cosmetic reasons without considering functional impact/degradations.  Quicken is going down hill fast.  I am keeping my old Quicken version on my laptop as long as I can and hope to find a Quicken replacement during that time. Quicken 2019 is awful.
    edited December 2018

Mike60
    I could actually enter and process a bill from the old bills list and can't do it with the control J.  
    What happens when you select a bill and Enter?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    edited December 2018

Nothing happens with 'Enter.' I have to double-click the item.
    edited December 2018

Nothing happens with 'Enter.' I have to double-click the item.

Are you saying nothing happens when you left-click on Enter after selecting a bill???

How about if you press Alt + E after selecting a bill?
    Is the menu choice remaining grey with a bill selected?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Mike60Mike60 Member
    edited December 2018
    I WANT THE OLD FORMAT.  I could see all the bills at one time and sort them by due date and click on enter to deal with each one.  Why do yu make changes just for the sake of change.  You had a good, intuitively obvious, user interface. Don't screw it up.  In the aircraft design business, you don't keep changing the "pilot/vehicle interface".  You keep things in the same place and maybe change the algorithms beneath that, but you don't change where the pilot expects to see buttons and information.

Add functionality if you want but don't change the operator interface format.  That is just NOT AN IMPROVEMENT.  aSK USERS BEFORE YOU CHANGE THE USER INTERFACE.
  • Mike60Mike60 Member
    edited December 2018
    You had a loyal base of users and you are alienating them for the sake of raw change.  We had been with Quicken for close to 20 years and you are abandoning your loyal user base for the sake of unproven glamorous change.  It doesn't work as well, and sometimes does NOT work at all.  YOU ARE NOT LISTENING.  I LIKED THE OLD FORMAT, USED IT FOR CLOSE TO 20 YEARS AND I WANT IT BACK OR I GO TO ANOTHER APPLICATION.  ARE YOU LISTENING?????????  IS ANYBODY LISTENING, OR DO YOU ONLY HEAR WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR.
    edited December 2018
    Mike60:  You're only complaining to other users.  You haven't even voted for the IDEA.  Note: With only one vote in 9 months, it is not likely to be high on development's list.

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Mike60Mike60 Member
    edited December 2018
    I am new to this.  How do I "vote" for that idea? How do I complain to someone that can fix this disaster?  They are deleting my comments because they don't want others to see them or they just don't want to hear my complaint.
    edited December 2018
    Mike60 said:

I am new to this.  How do I "vote" for that idea? How do I complain to someone that can fix this disaster?  They are deleting my comments because they don't want others to see them or they just don't want to hear my complaint.

We vote for an idea by clicking on VOTE (see the image provided earlier).

If you click on HOME at the tip of a page, on the right of the page that will appear, you'll find a few useful links like those shown below that should help you understand how to use this community.

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Mike60 said:

I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling they deleted out other comments because you just repeated what you have said multiple times.
  • SuzieQSuzieQ Member
    edited January 21

I don't like this.

I like this.

This whole thread has helped me find a different way of using Quicken. I think it's absurd to have to abandon a full tab section because it isn't functioning how I'd like and freezes the program repeatedly. I was using a different forum to find why it's freezing so much.

The Bills section of the Bills and Income is what's freezing on me. Yet changing to this other view in Home is fine. I can also split it by account and date ranges like I want.

A good product would have all aspects of the program functional even if they find it's antiquated if they have customers who want that option again.

I think the forum below is possibly related to some of the users on this forum:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-win-2019-premier-running-slow
  • SuzieQSuzieQ Member
    edited January 21
    The Managed Manual Bills isn't sufficient for my needs. I don't like that I can't resize my fields like I could in the past. Some of my Pay To/Receive From fields are a bit large. They don't show well on the Home section.

I can't remove the paid or completed fields, nor can I sort by them. I am really dissatisfied with the lack of customization. I manage my bills and my families. I don't want to see all of them together, and I only want to see what's due and not paid yet per account I have.

I might as well use Excel and make my own graphs with how Quicken has changed. I could filter what's due in Excel.