Quicken Home and Business will not stay open

Started today.. have not had any issue before.  The Quicken Home and Business opens, I get the display of my home page.. and then the program closes.  I tried to download the Mondo Patch for 2018 but it would not load.  This is the error message.  Could not parse the URL "Desktop\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol.  After the problem cropped up, I updated Win 10 to the latest updates.. It worked once.. I was able to reconcile my check book.. then it closed again and now will not open.  Very Frustrating. 

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20

In case of Patch installation error "Server file
    failed to load ... Index and length ..."

Please follow
    instructions here:

https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load

If the error message is about a file named "wyserver.wys", the
    problem is the Windows User Account name. If your Windows User files are
    located in a folder named,

for example, "C:\Users\John Doe\..." (with a blank space between John
    and Doe)

you need to create a new Windows User Account with Admin privileges and a name
    that does not contain a blank space, e.g., "John". Use the new
    account to install or update Quicken.

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops
    at startup?

Please
    try this:

Reboot
    Windows.

Close Quicken.

Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename
    your current Quicken data file, for example, from Qdata.QDF to
    QdataX.QDF

Usually this file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having
    done that start Quicken as usual.

If
    Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply
    load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has
    options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point
      without Quicken crashing
    • If you can't get Quicken to
      start at all,

• Steve MartinSteve Martin Member
    edited January 20
    Not sure if it has any relevance to your problem but it's unusual to have the Appdata\local\temp folder on the desktop. It's usually under Users\username\Appdata\local\temp. You might check the TMP and TEMP variables and see if they point to the correct folder. Right click This PC>Advanced system settings>Environment Variables and see if the TEMP and TMP variables actually point to a folder that exists.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Have you recently updated to Windows 10 release 1809? If so, how recently and did your problem with Quicken start immediately after?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • Bill DurhamBill Durham Member
    edited January 20
    GeoffG said:

Have you recently updated to Windows 10 release 1809? If so, how recently and did your problem with Quicken start immediately after?

When the problem started, I had not updated Windows.  I thought that maybe the Quicken version that I had, which automatically updated might be ahead of my version of WIN 10.  So I manually updated WIN 10 to the 1809 version.  After I did that, Quicken opened!  I worked in Quicken for about an hour reconciling my check book.. did some other things.. and then it closed.. and wouldn't re open.  I didn't close it..
    edited January 21
    UKR said:

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops
    at startup?

Please
    try this:

Reboot
    Windows.

Close Quicken.

Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename
    your current Quicken data file, for example, from Qdata.QDF to
    QdataX.QDF

Usually this file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having
    done that start Quicken as usual.

If
    Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply
    load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has
    options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point
      without Quicken crashing
    • If you can't get Quicken to
      start at all,

UKR... thanks very much for the information.  I include the date in my data file so I have renamed all of the copies I could find of the last dated data file.  I renamed them by taking out all of the spaces as that was something that somebody else had suggested.  I should say that the first time I tried to open Q this morning, I had an update to version R17.6, so that installed before the first time I tried.  No joy.  After the update was installed, I tried again and still No Joy.  Per the Windows Event Viewer, the file causing the crash is a .dll file in Systeme32.  Its ntdll.dll  Does this help you t all?  Thanks again for the reply
    edited January 21
    GeoffG said:

GeoffG.. this morning when I tried to open again, I got the new update download window from Qucken, so I let it update to R17.6.  This did not fix my problem. 
    edited January 21
    GeoffG said:

Restart your computer and try to open Q again. If it starts, go to Help>Log files> There are several different log files you can view that may give you a clue as to what's going on.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21
    GeoffG said:

In rereading your previous description, your saying Quicken is closing on it's own. If that's the case, then something in your data file may be corrupt.

I don't see that you performed a data file validation.  If you have not, follow this link to validate your data file: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
    edited January 21
    Update... It doesn't look like Quicken has been storing my data in the Documents/Qucken folder in sometime now.  The latest date on the files in there is from 2017.  I have been backing up my data to 2 different places.. one a storage drive on my network and one on a thumbdrive I leave plugged into the computer.  Does anybody know if they changed the destination for data storage in the lastest updates?

edited January 21
    In Q, click on File in the menu and it will show you where your data file is that it's using. Do a backup and it will show you the path where your backup file is being stored.
    edited January 21
    GeoffG said:

GeoffG.. bingo!  After I found where my data is being stored now.. I found the file that qwe was using to open and renamed it.. then opened quicken, it prompted me for the file to use.. I went to File, validate file.. validated the renamed file and viola!  life is good.  Based on the information provided from the data log of the validation process.. some entries I did recently caused the problem. 
    edited January 21
    Thank you all for your attempt to help me fix the problem.. It has been resolved by renaming my data file, then Validating the file after Quicken prompted me for what file to use.  Once I validated the renamed file, it opened just fine.  My take away on this is there needs to be some type of error or fault tracking thing that can be accessed outside of Quicken to try and fix issues like this.  With the program just closing, and no other way to access information other than this help forum.. I was dead in the water. 
    Thanks again to everybody
    BD
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21

Thank you all for your attempt to help me fix the problem.. It has been resolved by renaming my data file, then Validating the file after Quicken prompted me for what file to use.  Once I validated the renamed file, it opened just fine.  My take away on this is there needs to be some type of error or fault tracking thing that can be accessed outside of Quicken to try and fix issues like this.  With the program just closing, and no other way to access information other than this help forum.. I was dead in the water. 
    BD

Just out of curiosity, where was your Quicken data file stored? It shouldn't be on a network or cloud drive or a folder that's automatically backed up to the cloud. That can cause corruption.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    edited January 21

BD

the folder it was in was named Qucken Data.. I don't remember creating that folder but I may have. 
    edited January 21

BD

What is the path to the folder?
    edited January 21

BD

C:/Qucken Data  
    edited January 21

BD

That could be part of the problem. Windows 10 doesn't like user folders in the root directory (C:\). You should probably move the folder to Documents.
    edited January 21

BD

Its working now.. if it chokes again I'll move it.. thanks'