reports column default width (Q Win)

ChrisChris Member ✭✭
Please change the reporting so that columns are wide enough to read most/all of the data in the report without having to adjust the column widths.  i have to adjust the width of EVERY report EVERY time, and it's hugely annoying.

I use a wide screen monitor, and the report takes about 1/3 of the width of my screen, leaving plenty of room to expand every column to read the all the data.  It makes no sense to me that I have to manually do this every time a report is run.
7 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Probably the default is set more suitable to fit print format than screen format...

Maybe an option to easily switch between the two might be useful.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • richrich Member ✭✭
    edited January 22
    I completely agree with Chris, the OP. 
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Please remember to post which platform and version of Quicken you are using. In Quicken Mac 2019, for instance, the problem described does not occur with New Reports. That is, columns widths are retained however you leave them set. (The old reports from the Quicken Essentials era don't even have adjustable columns, and these reports will be removed in a future upgrade.)

Another suggestion: use the Report a Problem option on the Quicken Help menu to report this to Quicken. They may not consider it a bug -- although not retaining user-set columns widths seems like it might not be "performing as designed" -- but it's a legitimate problem you face using Quicken. Note that you will not get a reply from Quicken from such a submission... but it has a quicker chance of being passed on to the developers than an idea request here. the more people who report the same thing, the more likely it will catch someone's eye.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    jacobs said:

Please remember to post which platform and version of Quicken you are using. In Quicken Mac 2019, for instance, the problem described does not occur with New Reports. That is, columns widths are retained however you leave them set. (The old reports from the Quicken Essentials era don't even have adjustable columns, and these reports will be removed in a future upgrade.)

Another suggestion: use the Report a Problem option on the Quicken Help menu to report this to Quicken. They may not consider it a bug -- although not retaining user-set columns widths seems like it might not be "performing as designed" -- but it's a legitimate problem you face using Quicken. Note that you will not get a reply from Quicken from such a submission... but it has a quicker chance of being passed on to the developers than an idea request here. the more people who report the same thing, the more likely it will catch someone's eye.

Yes, please do specify what specific version you are using and having trouble with.

Also, taking it one step further, I suggest including a link to this thread when you use the "Report a Problem". This way, they not only look up any additional submissions by other users, but can also reply here if they so choose.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited January 22
    I'm using Windows version of 2019 Home, Business & Rental Build 27.1.17.6

I just checked, and a new report is still very truncated.

I'll try to "report a problem" in the future.

Thanks
  • richrich Member ✭✭
    edited January 22
    I'm using Quicken Premier 2019 version R17.6 build 27.1.17.6 and Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 10.0.17763 {on a Microsoft Surface Pro (2017), display scale and layout 200% (recommended) and resolution 2736 x 1824}.

Please change what appears to be the default column widths for reports.  Even with only 3 columns displayed (see attached screen shot), I must manually adjust one column's width to see all the data for that column.

The ideal would be that all columns are wide enough to read most/all of the data in the report without having to adjust the column widths.  I haven't kept specific track of every report I've ever made (been using quicken since the DOS version) so I'll say I have to adjust the width of almost EVERY report almost EVERY time, and it's hugely annoying.  Such as, if possible, have a button that when clicked would resize all columns to fit; Microsoft Excel for example has this functionality.

I also  submitted this as a problem as
    jacobs SuperUser  suggested.  And, as smayer97 SuperUser 
    suggested, I entered a link to this thread in that reported problem.

• Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To expand on this Idea, if you set the column widths to your liking and save the report, the custom widths are not saved with the report, but revert to the default narrow width when you re-open it.

It would be a big improvement if QWin 2019 were to save the column widths along with the other report settings.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • Harry SHarry S Member
    My problem is the same. I have tried every setting in Q2019 possible, even combinations of those settings, and reports will not save as full page width. Further, once you manually change to full page width, any change to the same report, even before saving, causes it to revert to narrow column. Just purchased Quicken Deluxe 2019 last week and all updates are current. My OS is Win10.
  • davidlambertdavidlambert Member ✭✭
    Why can't you implement a setting that automatically sizes report columns. When I create a report, it is never wide enough and I always have to resize the columns so that I can see the data when printed or saved. This is really quite reidiculous.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13
    Are there particular reports or fields that are not wide enough?

[comment was merged into already existing thread - edited post for clarity]
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription