Chase credit cards not auto reconciling

I am unable to get my Chase credit cards to auto reconcile. All other credit /checking accounts auto reconcile.Can someone help

Comments

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23
    Hello John,

Welcome to the Quicken Community!  Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with us, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

Are you still experiencing issues with auto-reconciling the Chase credit card account?

Please let us know, thank you!

Sarah
  • John PeggsJohn Peggs Member
    edited December 2018
    yes, I'm still unable to auto reconcile my Chase credit cards. I've done online chats two different times without success.

• SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member
    edited December 2018
    edited December 2018
    SimonSezSo, Thanks for responding. I've gone through this procedure several times and it doesn't resolve my problem. Capitol One CC , SunTrust, all others auto reconcile. It's just my 2 Chase Credit cards that don't. I've looked at the settings for the other cards that do reconcile to make sure I have the chase cards setup the same...and I do.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited January 22
    Which window do you get when you click the Reconcile action in the registers for these accounts?  If you get the reconcile window, which window do you get when you click Balances?
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
    edited December 2018
    I click the gear icon and then I choose reconcile and manually reconcile. I don't see a balances  choice in the drop down under the gear icon?
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited January 22
    After you get the reconcile window, which window do you see when you click the Balances button?
    edited December 2018
    I see a on line balances window with my balance amount in it.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited January 22
    I just wanted to confirm that the account is behaving as though auto reconcile is turned on, it appears so.  I know you read the link posted above and said you tried all of those suggestions and none of those helped.

You say you reconcile the problem accounts manually, does that mean you unchecked Reconcile using online balance on the Online tab and switched back to Use paper statement?

If not, I'm wondering if you did a paper reconciliation and then switched back to auto reconcile, if that would somehow reset things and get it working for you again.

Just a thought.
    edited December 2018
    no, I leave the reconcile using online balance checked, I then click on the gear icon, then reconcile, and when the I get the reconcile window I click on done because the difference is always zero, the cleared transactions then change to R.
    So, I reconciled with a paper statement and then I switched back to auto reconcile. I'll see what happens in the morning when I have new transactions downloaded. thanks
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited January 22
    Okay great, I'll be looking for your feedback, just thought it was worth a shot.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited January 22
    One other thing, when you switched back to using paper, did you also uncheck Auto reconcile downloaded transactions also?
    edited December 2018
    yes
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It sounds like there is something corrupted in that account.  What I would try is first deactivate that one for downloading transactions, then create a new account and connect it to your financial institution.  Delete any transactions that overlap with the old account.  Then move the transactions from the old account to the new account.

Here is how to move the transactions.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-do-i-move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts
    edited December 2018
    Rich M - didn't work
    edited January 22
    QPW - Can't deactivate without calling Chase. To big a hassle right now. Might try after the holidays. Thanks
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited January 22
    Nice try but no cigar, thanks John.
  • JMO44JMO44 Member
    edited January 22
    This is an ongoing problem for many QW users and I have had the same problem for a long time. For many years I have downloaded account transactions and automatically reconciled them without a problem: my account (checking, credit cards, etc.) transactions downloaded, were automatically matched and cleared, and then marked reconciled, closing the action. Then, months ago, 2 of my credit cards (Capitol One and Citibank) started stopping the action after the transactions were marked cleared. I now have to manually reconcile from that point to reconcile them. I have searched everywhere and have asked for answers multiple times, but no love! And, yes, I have tried all suggestions  that I have found except creating new accounts- years and years of transaction history!!! I am frustrated that tech support has not found a universal answer to this problem.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

QPW - Can't deactivate without calling Chase. To big a hassle right now. Might try after the holidays. Thanks

I have deactivated my Chase accounts many times (I do beta testing) and have never had the need to to call Chase about it.  The warning Quicken gives is just that, a warning.  The main reason it is given is because say you are paying for downloading of transactions from your financial institution, and now you want to stop.  Just deactivating in Quicken won't "alert" the financial institution that you have stopped and want to discontinue the service.

In fact since you are working in the same data file, even with Chase's extra security were you have to verify new data files, Chase shouldn't even consider this a "new system" that it has to verify.

But at the most you will have to respond to an email they will send and go to the secure messages on the main menu to finish that verification.

Personally I don't use automatic reconcile.  I use automatic transaction entry mode, and the two modes don't work very good together.

What I do is after I review my transactions I just hit the reconcile button I have put in the action bar, (Ctrl+R) works too, and since set it to always reconciling to the online balance it, the reconcile window comes up, I look to see it balanced, and then select Done.  Two whole clicks.
    edited December 2018

I have tried several times ( including this morning) to deactivate my Chase accounts. They will not deactivate. It says I have to call Chase. I have deactivated other accounts without issue. I'm reconciling the same way you are.
    edited December 2018
    JMO44 said:

This is an ongoing problem for many QW users and I have had the same problem for a long time. For many years I have downloaded account transactions and automatically reconciled them without a problem: my account (checking, credit cards, etc.) transactions downloaded, were automatically matched and cleared, and then marked reconciled, closing the action. Then, months ago, 2 of my credit cards (Capitol One and Citibank) started stopping the action after the transactions were marked cleared. I now have to manually reconcile from that point to reconcile them. I have searched everywhere and have asked for answers multiple times, but no love! And, yes, I have tried all suggestions  that I have found except creating new accounts- years and years of transaction history!!! I am frustrated that tech support has not found a universal answer to this problem.

I agree with you. I have had chats with Quicken and I have called them. No one has been able to fix this issue. I'm frustrated and disappointed with their customer service. I have years of transactions also. So far I'm not willing to create new accounts and move years of transactions. I'm reconciling the same way you are.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

OK if it isn't just that warning message that is a different issue.

I think there might be some hidden key combination to force a deactivate, but I can't find it.

Another thing to try would be just deleting the account.

Note for anything like this you always start with a good backup just in case.
    If look at the link that I gave above you will see that it actually does a copy, not a real move of the transactions.  And then you delete the old account.

Provided that works, by definition the old account would be deactivated, and you can proceed to active the new one.

I will point out that you will probably get duplicate transactions downloaded and here is how to deal with them:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-i-have-a-manual-account-i-want-to-activate-for-downloading-how-do-i-prevent-duplicate-transactions
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited December 2018

I think QPW really put things in perspective here, without auto reconcile, you're only two whole clicks away from a reconciled account.
    edited December 2018

I agree
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member
    edited December 2018

I agree with  QPW as well.  I have all my accounts set up for Auto Reconcile but there are a couple of "stubborn" accounts that won't, for some reason, auto reconcile.  To me it's not a big deal, as QPW says, it's just two additional clicks.  I have tried in the past to get the accounts to auto reconcile, but realized that the effort is not worth time and aggravation, and the possibility that my overzealous efforts might make things worse.
  • JMO44JMO44 Member
    edited January 23

Understood, but unacceptable. We pay for a product with a fair expectation that it will work as promised. When/if it doesn't, it is the responsibility of the provider to correct  the problem. What you have agreed to is a workaround, not a solution. So if you don't care, why should they?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

JMO44 You are free to do what you like, but I think you fail to see the "scope" of this forum.

You aren't talking to the developers, you aren't talking to the management.  You are talking to people (other users, and forum moderators) that have no way to "fix" anything.  So yes if there is a problem everything that is going to be suggested is a workaround.

And as for reporting problems and such and getting them to the right places, well you have done "your part" by reporting it.  It is up to Quicken Inc to follow through monitoring this forum and deciding on what priority to fix things in (if they can even be fixed).

One of the things your "unacceptable" seems to leave out is that if the QA/developers can't reproduce the problem, then they can't fix it.

This is definitely a problem that is "data file related".  As such most likely they would need a data file with the problem to be able to fix it.  Have you submitted your data file to them?  (Help -> Report a problem)

And that is just a "maybe they can work on it", that doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that this minor problem will get any priority over all the other much bigger problems.

And with that.  I will leave you to your gripes.
  • JMO44JMO44 Member
    edited December 2018

@QPW, I have been using Quicken since its inception, and I have logged many hours with their tech support trying to solve this and many other problems by helping them solve theirs. None of them have ever suggested they need a data file with the problem to resolve this issue. On the contrary, they have consistently affirmed that the problem is software based on their end and/or related to their software/transmission conflicts with financial institution software.

My opinion - a "gripe in your interpretation - is a value statement meant to hold the guilty responsible and not accept anything less than what is promised. Sorry if you took umbrage at my request for excellence. I think we need more of that in our culture these days. I also believe that what you permit, you promote.

Perhaps we'll both find some satisfaction if Quicken, Inc. stumbles across this thread in a random monitoring journey, and they discover the depth of discord and fallout that results from such a "minor problem" that they willingly chose to ignore.

And with that, I leave you to the beginning of a very healthy, safe and enjoyable holiday season.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    JMO44 said:

JMO44:  I also, agree with you. We all have the expectation that software will work perfectly and when it doesn't we get frustrated.  I know for a fact they are listening, because issues I've reported have been fixed over the years.  Unfortunately some don't get fixed quickly enough, so it's good to at least have a workaround in the interim.
  • edited January 23
    I am also having this problem. For some reason, it is only with credit card accounts. I have wondered if it has to do with the date of reconciling vs the end of statement dates? I have attempted to go through an entire years worth of transactions to see if that would help, yet I still have balance reconciliation problems. I will do the balance adjustment hoping that will fix the problem and then still come up with more issues the next time that I try. Frustrating for sure!

This discussion has been closed.