Category amounts

edited January 28 in
I am using Quicken Starter.  If I enter a deposit and split the money between categories -- say $5 to elecitric , $10 to automobile.  Is this supposed to show up in my budget?

I am having trouble figuring out this piece.  What I am trying to do is put in my money that I received into budget categories and then when I spend in those categories I should see it decrease.

Also, my starting balance -- how do I allocate that to categories?

Thank you.

Comments

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser
    edited January 21
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R18.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP
  • edited January 26
    I read through your link -- I don't know how to subscribe to my post.  I guess I have 30 days from purchase to figure out my problem.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited January 26
    Deborah,
    you can't do "envelope budgeting" or something similar in Quicken, by trying to split up your income (cash, paycheck, etc.).
    However, you can record your income to some income categories (gross pay, etc.)
    And you can record your actual expenses, e.g., your gasoline purchases, your dining out, your supermarket food purchases, etc.) and categorize each of them accordingly to expense categories.

If you're just starting out, record a month worth of these income and expense transactions in Quicken.
    If you now go into the Budget views you will be able to select the income and expense categories and see your progress. And here you can define ("budget") how much you are wanting to spend each month on Gasoline, Food, Restaurants, Utilities, etc. That's basically "putting money into each envelope". When that's done, you can see for each budget category ("envelope") how much you actually spent or have left at the end of the month.

Are you new to Quicken for Windows?

Welcome.

Please read this for more information, some videos and a list of resources to
    help familiarize yourself with Quicken:

https://www.quicken.com/quicken-tips

https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-2018-windows

Help! (Quicken for Windows)

If you're unsure on
    how to do something, you can find more information about a specific task,
    function, feature or report in Quicken Help.

To access Quicken Help simply press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken (or
    click Help in the Menu bar, then click Quicken Help).

Use the Contents tab to see the available books in Quicken Help. Click on one
    of the books to open it. Click on a chapter to drill down to more
    details.

Or use the Search tab to search using keywords, e.g., "buy
    security".

Some Quicken view screens may have a blue (or yellow) button with a question
    mark. Click it to get view - specific help.

• ps56kps56k SuperUser
    edited January 26
    You may want to look at other online web products that focus on "budget" -
    Here is one I have played with - YNAB - but it costs $50/yr

https://app.youneedabudget.com

Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser
    edited January 26
    The Starter Edition might not have budgets and other features. How does a deposit go to expenses like electric and auto?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited January 26
    volvogirl said:

The Starter Edition might not have budgets and other features. How does a deposit go to expenses like electric and auto?

Starter Edition does do Budgets, but not Savings Goals.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited January 26
    volvogirl said:

Please read and review: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-starter-budget-i-cannot-find-what-versio... for more about budgets in Starter.